News   May 21, 2024
 67     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Caltrane Does Toronto Gay Pride - 09!!!

Well....

I used the word breeders because someone else used the word in their post. I know what it means but thought in the lightheartedness of the post it would be ok to use. Straight it is then.

Maybe it's just me but using that word to describe a heterosexual in the context above is offensive and unnecessary. "Straight", "family", "non-gay" or "heterosexual" would have sufficed.

Sorry but it's not meant to be offensive and only used in the context of Pride (which I don't believe is for "everybody"). And when thousands of young heterosexuals run home from school every day crying from taunts of being a "breeder" I'll be sure to change my vocabulary because at that point it will have become legitimately offensive.

Sorry but it's not meant to be offensive and only used in the context of Pride (which I don't believe is for "everybody"). And when thousands of young heterosexuals run home from school every day crying from taunts of being a "breeder" I'll be sure to change my vocabulary because at that point it will have become legitimately offensive.

isn't that happening in china with the one child only policy? ;)

we're here, we're not queer, wait a second, isn't everybody already used to it anyway? ;)

I first heard the word "breeder" used in gay politico circles ( by a member of Gay Youth Toronto, actually ) the late '70s, as a retort to some mouthy young homophobe or other - in the aftermath of the Jaques murder. It's a warrior society epithet.

I first heard the word "breeder" used in gay politico circles ( by a member of Gay Youth Toronto, actually ) the late '70s, as a retort to some mouthy young homophobe or other - in the aftermath of the Jaques murder. It's a warrior society epithet.

See, ^this^ makes sense.

I used to cringe whenever my now ex-boyfriend would refer to our straight friends as "breeders". Quite unnecessary, I thought.

what about same-sex-challenged?, dis-gay-bled? or peno-vagi-interconnects?

Haha, very good! :)

Fair enough, no hard feelings! That word simply evokes a gut emotional response in me that just doesn't feel good. When I think about it a little deeper, I think if I ever jokingly referred to any of my straight friends as a "breeder" I think given the situation it could evoke an uncomfortable feeling for them. Sometimes some words can hurt and there's enough pain in the world already!

it's a matter of delivery though. words are innocent. it's how you use them and the intent of the sayer.

I agree. It was. Not so much anymore. It's usually used as a term of endearment for out of the loop straight friends at least in my circle. And I honestly meant no offense and never assumed any would be taken.

I think "Queer" is one of the few words that has been successfully reclaimed and brushed clean of all its former negative connotations, along with "Dyke".

"Faggot" still needs some work in this regard, however.

But I do miss Toronto Pride and miss celebrating in half decent weather where it's not 90 degrees with oppressive humidity and the fact that straight people do come out en masse and are supportive and participatory as well, rather than gawking or repulsed.

Well it's all a matter of context, as always: it's one thing for gay people to call each other 'fag' or 'queer' etc but quite another for a straight person to do it, especially with the wrong tone...

Similarly I sometimes hear young white kids use the word 'nigga' or 'gay' and it makes me cringe. I know that they are not at all necessarily prejudiced or homophobic - and probably quite the opposite in that those words don't mean anything bad to them - that they are using them in a 'rap culture' kind of way or in a 'that's so gay(nerdy)' kind of way, but....

What I find interesting is the ascendency of the more aggressive word "queer" over the word "gay" to describe the cultural group we belong to - at a time when the gay-specific pink triangle symbol was being replaced by the warm and fuzzy rainbow ( lifted from Jesse Jackson's "rainbow coalition'? ) as our symbol.

Well it's all a matter of context, as always: it's one thing for gay people to call each other 'fag' or 'queer' etc but quite another for a straight person to do it, especially with the wrong tone...

Similarly I sometimes hear young white kids use the word 'nigga' or 'gay' and it makes me cringe. I know that they are not at all necessarily prejudiced or homophobic - and probably quite the opposite in that those words don't mean anything bad to them - that they are using them in a 'rap culture' kind of way or in a 'that's so gay(nerdy)' kind of way, but....

Rap is very homophobic, the whole genre is based around trashing other people, including gay people. These kids know exactly what they listening to.

Rap is very homophobic, the whole genre is based around trashing other people, including gay people. These kids know exactly what they listening to.

Wow, it's ironic that you're in arms about homophobia, yet you also bash something you're completely ignorant of. For one, rap is a singing style which is heard in various genres, while hip hop is a genre. And a lot of hip hop isn't about trashing anyone, but rather recording and conveying the difficult and oppressive conditions of poverty at a specific moment in time.

Wow, it's ironic that you're in arms about homophobia, yet you also bash something you're completely ignorant of. For one, rap is a singing style which is heard in various genres, while hip hop is a genre. And a lot of hip hop isn't about trashing anyone, but rather recording and conveying the difficult and oppressive conditions of poverty at a specific moment in time.

The scope of rap and hip hop has far exceeded the portrayal of poverty and oppression. It can be about anything, by anyone.

Louis CK. Funny stuff, but quite true from a heterosexual perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-otAJrtY-w

PS: Great pics by Caltrane. Hopefully the hotties at Pride were kind enough to talk to ya man!

Cheers everybody

TL15

I know the difference, you are arguing semantics. I'm not saying I don't listen to the music, because I do, but I have strong opinion on this subject, but I also don't want to ruin Caltrane's great thread, so i will stop now.

sany0305.jpg

did Miller's wife wreck his Toronto FC jersey in the wash or did he intentionally dye it pink?

Back