News   May 08, 2024
 176     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 595     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 505     1 

Cabbagetown

Still no work on the houses above the old HOP sight. What is going on here? I am very worried. There are no windows in these houses, just chipboards placed over the frames and they have been in place for months. Serious damage could be happening at this point.

Still no work on the houses above the old HOP sight. What is going on here? I am very worried. There are no windows in these houses, just chipboards placed over the frames and they have been in place for months. Serious damage could be happening at this point.

I'm worried about this as well. That's prime real estate just sitting there.

On an unrelated note, does anybody know what's going into the old Margarita's location (the Mexican restaurant) on the south side of Carlton just west of Parliament? I peeked in the window at the renovations and it looks like there's a wood-burning oven (a pizza oven I assume?) in the back corner.

On an unrelated note, does anybody know what's going into the old Margarita's location (the Mexican restaurant) on the south side of Carlton just west of Parliament? I peeked in the window at the renovations and it looks like there's a wood-burning oven (a pizza oven I assume?) in the back corner.

There is a Hey Lucy coming in the old Margarita's location... This is what I've heard from some of my contacts that they bought out the restaurant and are converting it... I think it will be a great addition to the neighborhood...

Regarding the old HOP, I'm being told that they are looking at adding 3 or 5 townhouses in the back lane which is why there is a delay... I don't know how accurate this information is though... It's a rumor that i've heard...

Riverdale Farm Fundraiser

Is anyone planning to attend the Riverdale Farm mixer? Featuring Cabbagetown royalty Amy Millan and Jian Ghomeshi.

https://riverdalefarm.ticketbud.com/buy-tickets

Riverdale Farm, Toronto’s “Oasis in the City†is hosting a ‘Mid-Summer Mixer’ $25K fundraising event at the farm on Thursday, July 18, 2013 from 5:30 p.m.– 9:30 p.m

Tickets for admission are $30 per adult and $5 per child when accompanied by an adult – kids under 3 years are free! Food and beverages including beer and wine will be available for purchase at the event. No outside food or beverages will be permitted.

Great food, entertainment and fun activities for the whole family!

Proceeds from the Mid-Summer Mixer event will go towards the fundraising goal of $25,000 to help enhance the experience for the visitors to Riverdale Farm.

Good news. I walked past the old HOP site on the weekend to see the doors open and construction sounds going on inside. At a minimum this means someone is maintaining the premises in their current state.

There is a new shop on the east side of Parliament, north of No Frills, called Spirit which appears to be selling unique home furnishings and gift type items. The pharmacy next door got a face lift as well.

The temple on Parliament south of No Frills has a sign on the door saying "Closed until further notice." There were two concerned looking families reading it as I walked by tonight.

Ben Wicks is no more. I actually feel slightly saddened by this because I think they could have been quite successful had they only tried. Sure, the decor was a bit more worn around the edges than the HOP, but I can live with that. What I couldn't tolerate was a mediocre beer selection consisting completely of corporate macrobrews and a menu consisting only of typical "pub grub" like wings and fries. When the HOP had a line out the door, Ben Wicks was mostly empty.

http://www.benwickspub.com/

The replacement will be called "The Local Gest"

It's one of the old servers from HOP, her husband, and two friends who bought THe Ben Wick's. Paul, who used to work at HOP opened AFT on Queen at Broadview a few months ago.

Somewhat disappointed that Wing Machine didn't expand into the Wicks. I guess it's destined to be another place where well-dressed white people can safely eat on Parliament St.

One of the servers at House told me that the new owners have stopped work until they get a tenant, at which time they will finish the interior for the tenant to their liking and/or have the tenant finish it. Crazy.

One of the servers at House told me that the new owners have stopped work until they get a tenant, at which time they will finish the interior for the tenant to their liking and/or have the tenant finish it. Crazy.

Wait, so is it not going to be a Hey Lucy (as mentioned above)? I wouldn't be too unhappy, since Hey Lucy isn't my favourite restaurant, but they've done a lot of work in the interior (including installing what looks to be a wood-burning oven), so it seems a bit strange that they'd have done that without a firm tenant.

Menu for The Local Gest

20130807_095145.jpg

Attachments

• 20130807_095145.jpg
    20130807_095145.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 308

Back