News   May 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 652     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.2K     7 

Cabbagetown

I'm really liking the baked goods from Absolute Bakery, north of Amelia on Parliament. Great pies, eclairs and fantastic poppyseed buns. Nice family run place. http://www.blogto.com/bakery/absolute-bakery-toronto

One of the best things about living downtown is parking the car on Friday and leaving it there until Monday, spending the weekend walking to the local shops.
I used to go here almost every day. Trying to be healthy in 2015, but the temptation is there. The $2 veggie roti is delicious, and an amazing deal. Love this place.

Interesting the story re Ernst Zundel. I lived on Ontario Street just north of Carlton in the early 80's. One day I left my place and there was a huge rally outside Mr. Zundel's house. The corner was packed. At the same time I worked at the court house where (later) Mr. Zundel was being tried and was , I believe, convicted as a holocaust denier. He was anything but a nice guy. A real brute. We should all be happy he is out of our country. Having said all that I love that stretch of Carlton...it's as though time has stood still........

Having said all that I love that stretch of Carlton...it's as though time has stood still........

If we have the foresight not to allow it to be destroyed, it will be a historical treasure of a major street in small number of decades.

These folks just walked down my street http://ocap.ca/node/1214

torchposter1117.jpg

It's odd to me that they're demanding affordable housing and shelters in the area of the city that has by far the most shelters and much of the city's RGI housing. Alongside the shelters and affordable housing Cabbagetown has gentrified, meaning folks of all sorts are mixing it up. OCAP must hate this.

Attachments

• torchposter1117.jpg
    torchposter1117.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 491
From that poster/leaflet, it doesn't sound to me like they're demanding social housing particularly in this part of the city, but rather more affordable housing and shelters generally. Were you referring to something else?

From that poster/leaflet, it doesn't sound to me like they're demanding social housing particularly in this part of the city, but rather more affordable housing and shelters generally. Were you referring to something else?
I was referring to the disconnect that they're marching through Cabbagetown and east downtown demanding shelters and housing, while the area has probably the largest inventory of shelters in the city and much of its affordable housing in the city.

If you want the city to provide more affordable housing and shelters, you'd be better off to protest where there is a shortage of both, and to protest where the people responsible for such decisions either work or reside.

Looks like there was a meeting between the Cabbagetown South Residents Association and Option for Homes regarding the development of st. Lukes church.. 25 storeys seems a bit high for this location.

http://thebulletin.ca/st-lukes-proposal-garners-mixed-feedback-from-cabbagetown-south/

Also, why are there so many associations and groups within Cabbagetown? I noticed that even some streets have their own thing... what happened to strength in numbers?

I was referring to the disconnect that they're marching through Cabbagetown and east downtown demanding shelters and housing, while the area has probably the largest inventory of shelters in the city and much of its affordable housing in the city.

If you want the city to provide more affordable housing and shelters, you'd be better off to protest where there is a shortage of both, and to protest where the people responsible for such decisions either work or reside.

I don't think I necessarily agree with that. While I see your point, I can also see valid counterpoints, so I don't think there is any disconnect. I'm not that familiar with OCAP, but I'm assuming that the march gathering point was chosen in order to be as accessible as possible to the participants (many of whom may live in social housing) so as to ensure a larger turn-out (not clear what the actual march route was). It's not clear to me that they would have had more impact if they had all hopped on the TTC and marched in, say, Lawrence Park - they probably would have faced more deaf ears and fewer participants. As for marching near where the decision makers work, not sure that a nighttime, torchlight march in Nathan Phillips Square, in front of a largely empty City Hall, would have been particularly effective. Arguably, many of those who influence and try to shape public opinion in Toronto (especially on the left and centre-left), ranging from bloggers to City staff, do live in parts of the City within a walk or short transit ride to this march. The two City Councillors in East Downtown are among the two members of Council most likely to pay attention to OCAP's position here (even if they don't ultimately agree). There also is some logic, given the theme of the march, in doing it in some proximity to the main Pan Am site, and in neighbourhoods that might be most impacted when the games are on.

I think OCAP does plenty of protests. I assume they deploy different tactics and strategies at different times. Certainly in this case they might have been preaching to the choir, so to speak, although as noted above there may have been valid reasons for doing so, and sometimes groups want to do just that.

Last edited:
Also, why are there so many associations and groups within Cabbagetown? I noticed that even some streets have their own thing... what happened to strength in numbers?

I'm not familiar with that many groups in the area, but a lot of streets in the city have their own semi-formal organizations and they are generally complimentary to neighborhood groups, not in opposition to them.

All that being said, "Cabbagetown" should have a lot because in reality it is a geographcally large and highly populated area. Remember that west of Parliament it's formal boundary goes from Shuter all the way to Wellesly, and east of Parliament all the way to River Street. If rearranged, the same area would probably be equivalent to Regent Park, Corktown, Distillery, Moss Park, and St. Lawrence all combined.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that many groups in the area, but a lot of streets in the city have their own semi-formal organizations and they are generally complimentary to neighborhood groups, not in opposition to them.
Yes, in fact the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association is actually formed by 'local groups' - street neighbour associations, condo corporations, co-op boards etc. are the "Members" of SLNA.

Back