News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 870     0 

Cabbagetown

Community buzz...

We have two new sushi places coming... One at The Cobourg, second at The Stone Grill... Not sure how they are going to complete

We have Cabbagetown Festival coming in two weeks

Cabbagetown South is hosting a block party blocking Seaton Street

We also have the Cabbagetown Art Festival coming too...

Going to be a good September :)

You're right... They have also added a dock in the back for shipping and ripped all the walls between the old Kendall and Coffee time...

This is a great addition to the neighborhood but I would've really liked to see them adding a floor to the building... sigh...

I agree. A two or three storey residential addition to this block would have made a lot of sense for the owner and now would have been the time to do it with the first floor vacant. It will be much more difficult (if not impossible) to do once this becomes a Pharma Plus.

The Bargain! Shop has put up store closing signs. I talked to an employee who said the final day for the store is in a few weeks. Interesting since they did a mini-renovation just a few months ago.

That's a large and high-quality retail unit it will be vacating. I wonder what will replace it?

I walked up to Cabbagetown Fest at 8pm on Saturday and expected, I don't know... something, but the whole thing was packed up. There were a lot of people milling about, many looking confused like me, but all that was left was a guy selling corn and a guy selling popcorn. Does it always end that early or did the rain wash it out this year?

Sunday I went in the afternoon and it was packed and there were lots of booths from Gerrard right up to Wellesly. There were lots of people spilling down Parliament and Winchester to check out the houses and the farm too. It looked quite successful.

I walked up to Cabbagetown Fest at 8pm on Saturday and expected, I don't know... something, but the whole thing was packed up. There were a lot of people milling about, many looking confused like me, but all that was left was a guy selling corn and a guy selling popcorn. Does it always end that early or did the rain wash it out this year?

Sunday I went in the afternoon and it was packed and there were lots of booths from Gerrard right up to Wellesly. There were lots of people spilling down Parliament and Winchester to check out the houses and the farm too. It looked quite successful.

It's the timing... The festival closes at 8 so Parliament could be opened up... Afternoons are the best time to go to the Festival...

I've been keeping an eye on it too... Let's see what they find...

there is also the old Asahi sushi place space available for rent on Ontario and Carlton... The Old HOP buildings are also available too...

I contributed to that packed feeling on Sunday :) My wife as well.

The park in particular with the art was extremely crowded !

Its a shame I know but I have to admit this was only the second time visiting the neighborhood. It was amazing ! I love the character throughout all the residential streets, and the lane-ways ... I noticed a couple actually had housing fronting directly on to them (don't recall the name) which was very neat as well !

A couple questions for folks from the area:

In terms of Parliament street, how has retail fared over the last couple of years or so ? It seems like there were some vacancies but not too many. Also it feels as if parts of partly gentrified but others not so much (namely the stretch closer to St. James Town).

A couple questions for folks from the area:

In terms of Parliament street, how has retail fared over the last couple of years or so ? It seems like there were some vacancies but not too many. Also it feels as if parts of partly gentrified but others not so much (namely the stretch closer to St. James Town).

I moved deep into east Cabbagetown in 2006, then left in 2008, and then moved back, close by in Regent Park, in January 2011. I feel it hasn't really changed much over the 5 years I have known it. The neighbourhood serves a very diverse population of incomes and cultures; probably more so than almost any other neighbourhood in Toronto. Go to a local grocery store and you will find upper middle class and legitimately rich people who own beautiful, and very expensive Cabbagetown Victorians, lined up with poor residents and immigrants from St. James Town and Regent Park, lined up with with solidly middle class renters located in between. It's one of the few neighbourhoods in the city that I find really has something for everyone.

I contributed to that packed feeling on Sunday :) My wife as well.
Myself and my daughters were in there as well. We went to the farm. It was very busy. They fed the goats, they liked that :) I walked around to one of the yard sales of a friend of a friend. On the way back we saw a storm trooper. We were not the droids he was looking for. Excellent costume though.

Went by the Paintbox Bistro on Dundas in the Paintbox building yesterday... All I have to say is wow! Great food!

The portions were small and pricey but great food!

Really enjoyed it!

What happened to Viva Mexico on Parliament south of Wellesley. The lights are out but there is no sign. Somebody on the street told me it had been closed a couple of weeks but that he had heard it might re-open. Anybody know?

Also, Margaritas was closed last night, too. I hope that's just temporary.

I see that Mark's (formerly Mark's Work Warehouse) is opening in November at the old Bargain Shop location. I think that is great. We have a lot of restaurants, bars and coffee shop, but this is a good addition to the clothing offering in CT. I wonder if they'll survive, though I expect they're hoping to gain biz from the new condo dwellers in Regent Park.

The signs say what will be moving in is "Mymark". The employees in the store said that this is essentially a Bargain Shop! re-branding.

Unless I see otherwise, I don't think Mark's (Work Wearhouse) is moving in to this space.

Parliament is a funny street in that there is such a mix of higher / lower end places ! You don't see that as much in other areas ... in other areas you'll see a transition between high end to low end (or during gentrification).

Is there a farmers market in the area btw ?

Back