News   May 22, 2024
 827     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 650     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 462     0 

Buying preconstruction - Assignment

I think the person is saying you're saving 30k because builder's price has gone up and the seller is selling at cost+interest. However I think that will be offset by HST the buyer has to pay depending on the price of the unit.

Sam didn't mention the date the agreement was signed with the developer. There may not be HST involved (do we know the official grandfathering rules yet?).

Agreements signed before June 18, 2009 will avoid the HST. However assignments signed after June 18, 2009 and building is built after July 1, 2010 is subject to HST. So basically, if you wanted to buy an assignment, you should have signed it before June 18. Otherwise you have to pay HST. Unless the building is finished by July next year.

Agreements signed before June 18, 2009 will avoid the HST. However assignments signed after June 18, 2009 and building is built after July 1, 2010 is subject to HST. So basically, if you wanted to buy an assignment, you should have signed it before June 18. Otherwise you have to pay HST. Unless the building is finished by July next year.

Guess I would have to ask a lawyer this question as I think you might be confusing the agreement to purchase a unit with the assignment contract. One buys the unit (subject to HST), the other buys the contract.

Surely trading contracts isn't subject to HST; otherwise it would be the end of the stock market as we know it.

Last edited:
Well, how would you translate this?

Grandfathering rules
Under the proposed grandfathering rules, sales of new homes under written agreements of purchase and sale entered into on or before June 18, 2009 (i.e., grandfathered homes) will not be subject to the provincial portion of the HST where both ownership and possession of the homes are transferred after June 2010.

http://www.kpmg.ca/en/services/tax/tnf/tnfc0920.html

interesting ... i will have to confirm that.

does the building 'finished' by July 2010 mean registration, or does occupancy qualify as 'finished' ... ie. one's occupancy date is June 2010 but the condo doesn't register months later.

interesting ... i will have to confirm that.

does the building 'finished' by July 2010 mean registration, or does occupancy qualify as 'finished' ... ie. one's occupancy date is June 2010 but the condo doesn't register months later.

Well, maybe my interpretation is incorrect. But I thought I read somewhere about assignments. I can't find it again currently. There's so many rules to the HST.

yes..i am just asking for my cost(deposit) back..with the interest(carrying cost) on the deposit..i am not asking for the $30,000...

Back