News   May 09, 2024
 619     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 488     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 822     1 

Burger King\Tim Hortons Merger and Head Office

Hmm. That implies to me that aside from possibly a couple hundred jobs there is no real benefit to Canada to BK choosing us for their HQ.

One of my employers was HQ'd in Delaware. We kept a single part-time accountant there. The other 250 or so staff were all in Toronto. I'm not sure what Delaware got as a benefit from that relationship but I've been told it was very helpful to my employer.

We will get a few jobs....not a lot....but whatever taxable income the new holding company has will now be paid to Canada/Ontario at 26.5% rather than to USA/Florida at 27.5%. So there is that.

Much ado about nothing beyond the fact that a lot of the profits that used to stay here are now flowing south to the US and Brazil.

The 3G guys that currently own most of Burger King are major cost cutters. I expect a net loss of jobs in Canada initially as they take the knife to Tim's head office.

Everyone: This is interesting news about both Burger King and Tim Hortons...

I don't think that this is such a big deal since both BK and TH are in both the US and Canada...

If a Canada-based HQ works for both so be it...

Then again something that many had a problem with was a re-location to a tax shelter haven to
outright avoid US taxes...A good example was the New Britain,CT based Stanley Tool Company's proposal
to relocate its corporate offices to Bermuda in 2002 which got much negative press back then - enough to
make STC back down off this move...

LI MIKE

http://www.thestar.com/business/201...more-than-20-per-cent-of-hq-staff-ottawa.html

9PNFJkr.jpg

Burger King's new head office is in Oakville.

Wow, that was a really bad hatchet job of an 'analysis', even for CCPA. Remind me not to hire someone working on her MA in Labour Studies, with an undergraduate degree in Journalism/PoliSci, to do a reputable economic impact analysis of a merger. I like Toronto Life's scaremongering big number, too!

I'd love to know how the Canadian mutual fund investors in THI through Fidelity, TDAM, RBC GAM, BMO Investments, and Jarislowsky Fraser (the top 5 holders pre-offer) feel about getting $100 in December for their stock that was worth $60 in August. I'd expect they're very happy to take the Brazilians' money.

Remember the Burger King Kids Club Gang?

BKkidsclubgang.png

plus its Asian member:

165px-BKCC_Jazz.png

They may have plans to add a Canadian member dressed in a red suit (as none of the members primarily wore a red shirt), one who is addicted to coffee and doughnuts. Since none of the members wear a turban, the Canadian member would wear one and represent South Asians as well. His hobby would be playing hockey and curling.

If Baltej Singh Dhillon can wear a turban as a Mountie, then why not?

Last edited:
Remember the Burger King Kids Club Gang?

BKkidsclubgang.png

plus its Asian member:

165px-BKCC_Jazz.png

They may have plans to add a Canadian member dressed in a red suit (as none of the members primarily wore a red shirt), one who is addicted to coffee and doughnuts. Since none of the members wear a turban, the Canadian member would wear one and represent South Asians as well. His hobby would be playing hockey and curling.

If Baltej Singh Dhillon can wear a turban as a Mountie, then why not?

Unfortunately, the ethnic members of the Kid's Club were let go in this week's cutbacks.

Back