2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Building Delays

H

Hydrogen

I've just been informed that the completion date for my building has been delayed for a second time. It is now nine months late. The only excuse that I've received is that six weeks of bad weather has caused the delay (of nine months - go figure).

I protested this assertion, but it won't speed up construction of course.

Anyone else have any similar stories to share?

My brother recently purchased in solstice and his occupancy date has been bumped from September 2007 to May 2008. This is the third time the date has been moved.

Most new buildings do not meet their occupancy dates. My assumption would be mainly due to the labour shortage in the construction industry especially furnishing the interior after the exterior is complete. Drywallers, plumbers, electricians etc. are all in very high demand.

Thanks for the information. I knew when I signed that there would be delay. Excavation started about two months after the developer said it would, and I expected something like that that. I actually anticipated a three to four months delay from their original stated starting date. Little did I know how optimistic I was being.

Not that it is huge pain, but as I rent my landlord is getting thousands from me that I would prefer to be paying down on a mortgage.

Anyone else have stories (horror stories)?

Misery loves company.

I purchased in Spire in April, 2003. At the time the tentative occupancy date was October, 2005. I moved in, finally, in February, 2007, or a full 16-months late!
There are probably worse off than me since the building first went on sale in September, 2002...conceivably if you bought on a higher floor at that time there is still a chance those purchasers have not moved in yet.

My first condo was Opera Place (phase 1, 887 Bay) and I got either 6 or 7 delays. There were several trade strikes during construction so that was the main reason for the delays. I finally moved in just around 2 years after original stated occupancy date. After all that I had to sell and move because I had a dog over 25 pounds. My bad.

< formally Greg29Toronto >

Labrador Retrievers don't retrieve well without legs

I'm a little lost with understanding how much they can move my occupancy date around. I bought my condo in August of 2006 after building had already started. The Tentative closing date was at that time April 15, 2007 a date I was not expecting to stay at all. I then received a letter in November of 2006 moving my Tentative date to May 15, 2007, another date I was not expecting to stick. Then in December I received a letter stating that the roof was completed on the building and my Confirmed Closing date was July 10, 2007. Now did that mean that they are suppose to give me 65 days notice prior to July 10 of the date changing again? I received a letter yesterday saying that the new confirmed closing date is July 25th, is this the additional 15 days that they are allowed 35 days prior to the confirmed closing date? Also in the letter it mentions the plumbers strike and says that the strike could further impact my closing date. My concern is how much notice do that have to give me if the move the date again? I'm currently renting and am concerned about being able to give notice where I live now. I guess the other option is staying where I am right till the last minute and paying double for the first couple of months. Can you tell I'm a first time buyer?? Thanks in advance for your help.

I hope someone can help!!!!

This is an interesting thread, something i've been looking for for a while!!

I bought a condo 2 years ago... Dia in North York. It's been delayed 3 times. In December they moved our tentative occupancy to July 9th, and we haven't heard from them since.

Since we're passed the 65 days notice they can give, can I assume that July 9th is confirmed occupancy? They have one more week until the 35 days is up, before they can delay us for 15 days.

But since we're on the 9th floor, why would our occupancy be the same as the rest of the building?

Does anyone know when you finally get notice of your real date? I mean, it's really close and we have no idea.

Also, this plumbers strike how do I know if it affects my unit? I just read that post someone posted up there saying they got a letter from their builder. Well, our builder sucks and has been lying to us from the beginning...

Anyone have any info? We're really worried, because we just sold our current place for Dia, and now if closing is delayed again we're homeless.

Anyone have any info?

The best person to answer these questions is your lawyer. If the builder does miss the date without informing you with suitable notice you might receive compensation for furniture storage and hotel fees; but your lawyer is the only one who will know for sure.

They know your specific situation far better than we can.

I bought my loft in June - the building was complete bar detailing by this point and my unit had cabinets, bathroom things and a lot of fittings in place.

I was given a closing of 15th of July. I had to plead to have this extended to the 31st. I wasn't really expecting any delays given the fact the project is 99% finished.

A month has passed and i'm still no closer to taking occupancy. My unit is done bar the cleaning and a lick of paint here and there. Floors are down, appliances are in. I walked around it yesterday and the ac was on...

Luckily for me, the developer didn't give me a new occupancy date at all, never mind in writing - despite me pleading for one via email. I looked at the Tarion site today and it looks like I have a cast-iron case to get compensated. The only complication may be due to Stinson's bankrupcy - but these delays started way before then - and I thought half the point of paying for the Tarion warranty was to cover situations like this.

As for your lawyer knowing - both my lawyer and my realtor knew nothing. I had to research for myself. The deal is this (once the notice periods have passed):

You can claim $100 a day for accomodation.
You can claim moving expenses and storage as well as the $100 a day.
The maximum you can claim is $5000.

As I said, you have to wait until the notices have passed and/or show you tried to get a new date from them but they wouldn't supply it. Luckily I have lots of emails to back me up.

Good luck!

I've just been informed that the completion date for my building has been delayed for a second time. It is now nine months late. The only excuse that I've received is that six weeks of bad weather has caused the delay (of nine months - go figure).

I protested this assertion, but it won't speed up construction of course.

Anyone else have any similar stories to share?

Hey Hydrogen,
Sorry to hear your pain. I know how disheartening this must be. I think just about every new development is delayed. Just a matter of how much. In fact, I've never heard a story of a development that was completed on time!
My story to share was with my first place at the Merchandise Building. I received 4 letters of delay notices which amounted to 1 year and 9 months of delays. This is additional to the 1 year I was initially told at time of purchase. And to add to this, Merchandise building was not covered by Tarion because it was not considered a new build.
Two lessons from this: 1. Be cautious of conversions because they are not (yet) covered by Tarion and 2. Add 1 to 1.5 years expected occupancy to any development. Then double it if the developer is Cresford.

Back