News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 495     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Birch Cliff (Kingston/Warden)

And don't think I'm *not* consciously transmitting some veiled message about urban gentrification there. (I'm sure I've referred to the Beach as "white town" before.)

And I was definitey thinking of this thread when reading today's G&M review of the "Stuff White People Like" book...

There is alot of nice places in Scarboro, I just think the media should do a better job on how they report crimes in Scarboro. Instead of stating in the papers or on the news that the crime happened in Scarborough, tell the public the exact location of the crime, like that main intersections. When a crime happens in Jane and Finch, they say Jane and Finch. When a crime happens in, just say Kennedy and Eglinton, the media automatically says Scarborough instead of the actual intersection. Scarborough is big place, don't let a couple of crimes that happen here ruin the whole reputation of scarborough!
They've been doing exactly that for about a year now when crime happens in ScarboROUGH.

I found Birch Cliff to be depressing especially along Kingston Rd. There are some small businesses and most of them were empty. A pizza place, a cafe and a hobby shop. There was used to be a 50's style Loblaws there and now a "D.O.T." store. Kind of risky to open a business middle of nowhere especially in a quiet residential area like Birch Cliff. People want convenience e.g. big box stores.

Well, yes, people want convenience; but that doesn't have to be big-box stores. It's real easy to build so-called "smart centres" but shopping streets take effort and patience, which is why big box has thrived recently. I think Birchcliff is a great opportunity, as it really is one of the only areas in Scarborough with a "main street" neighbourhood feel.

Outerbeach, I for one am glad to see that someone is investing in the neighbourhood, and I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know when and where can support you and your storefront.

I really appreciate all of the comments. I am still in the process of cleaning up the place and showing it to prospective tenants. I am getting a better feel for the neighbourhood (Warden to Birchmount) -- and yes it has a small town feel. The strip with the Pilates center has a particularly nice feel. I think it would be great to have some sidewalk life -- a funky coffee shop with a few tables outside would be an asset. I am thinking of talking to my immediate neighbours about painting our storefronts to create interest and a cohesive feel for our little block. Lots to do!

But it does have continuity w/the so-called Upper Beach going for it--and more integral, in that light, than Mimico/New Toronto/Long Branch are to the westernmost reaches of Bloor West or Swansea or High Park or Parkdale or wherever...
I see that Crayons has moved east along this continuity out of The Beach, from Kingston Road (west of Vic Park) to Kingston Road (east of Birchmount).

Too far to the subway or highways. One of the few areas of the city that has stagnated but it's not so bad that it has attracted the city's revitalization efforts. So, nothing changes.
Kingston Road Revitalization Study

Phase 2 suggests zoning could allow 8 storey buildings at Warden and Kingston, although most would be 2-6 storey.

And a tram will be plying through the neighbourhood in the next decade to.
They decided on bus rapid transit, from Victoria Park subway station to Eglinton and Kingston Road, connecting up with the Scarborough-Malvern LRT.

I really appreciate all of the comments. I am still in the process of cleaning up the place and showing it to prospective tenants. I am getting a better feel for the neighbourhood (Warden to Birchmount) -- and yes it has a small town feel. The strip with the Pilates center has a particularly nice feel. I think it would be great to have some sidewalk life -- a funky coffee shop with a few tables outside would be an asset. I am thinking of talking to my immediate neighbours about painting our storefronts to create interest and a cohesive feel for our little block. Lots to do!
So, how did it go?

I've always thought that this area will eventually develop into Toronto's Williamsburg or Greene Point at some point.

Do you mean Greenpoint in New York? Can I ask why? I don't know those areas very well.

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, Greenpoint and Williamsburg were rezoned in 2005. However, it also says that large swaths of it were industrial, rezoned to residential (with allowances for greater heights).

OTOH, Birch Cliff is mostly residential to begin with, with larger expensive homes below Kingston Road and smaller less expensive homes above Kingston Road. The major rezoning is going to be along Kingston Road itself, with taller mixed use construction - improved retail along condos and townhouses. It will eventually also get improved TTC support.

P.S. Prior to the big rezoning, the townhouses are already coming, including the ex-gas station lot. I'll take some pictures of the construction at Birchmount.

Last edited:
Do you mean Greenpoint in New York? Can I ask why? I don't know those areas very well.

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, Greenpoint and Williamsburg were rezoned in 2005. However, it also says that large swaths of it were industrial, rezoned to residential (with allowances for greater heights).

OTOH, Birch Cliff is mostly residential to begin with, with larger expensive homes below Kingston Road and smaller less expensive homes above Kingston Road. The major rezoning is going to be along Kingston Road itself, with taller mixed use construction - improved retail along condos and townhouses. It will eventually also get improved TTC support.

P.S. Prior to the big rezoning, the townhouses are already coming, including the ex-gas station lot. I'll take some pictures of the construction at Birchmount.

I just meant as younger people get priced out of the downtown core, these areas of Scarborugh closer to the lake, that retain some sense of urbanism will become a little more attractive to pioneering (and I hate this word) hipsters. Toronto's rents aren't that high right now as it is (compared to Manhattan's) but give it another boom and again creative people will be looking for alternatives to the core. Yeah, I meant Brooklyn, not Long Island.

Front of townhouse development at Birchmount, view from Kingston Road. These are 2350+ sq. ft. units, starting at $689000. I thought that was a bit high, but nonetheless they're getting built.

Yeah, they're relatively large, but they're right on Kingston Road. Then again, they do include private parking.

TownhouseFront.jpg

Side view, from Birchmount.

TownhouseSide.jpg

Bar and pizza joint next door across the street. Enrico's pizza on the corner is pretty good.

Andrewsplace.jpg

Art on side of bar.

PubArt.jpg

Birchmount Flowers.

BirchmountFlowers.jpg

Farmer's market and Pure Apparel, closer to Warden.

FarmersMarket.jpg

A new Japanese restaurant, Tsukishima, seems to be opening up soon, just west of Warden. It replaces Hit The Spot Eatery. I'm not surprised the latter closed (after maybe 1 year?). The food wasn't very impressive. Plus, it's right across the street from some subsidized housing that seems to see a lot of police visits I'm told.

HitTheSpotEatery.jpg

Last edited:
^Thanks for the photos! Can you take/post some more of the area, including housing stock? It's an area of the GTA i've never explored.
Ok, but it may be a little while before I get the chance. Maybe I'll take some pix of Birch Cliff - Cliffside, which goes all the way over to Midland Ave. or maybe even Chine Drive depending on what you read.

Bluffer's Park at the end of Brimley is part of Cliffcrest, but it's a common destination for the Birch Cliff - Cliffside residents.

3168298545_2deb3c265f.jpg

Anyways, the gist of it is the metaphorical "tracks" are at Kingston Road, with inexpensive homes north of Kingston Road, and progressively more expensive homes as you go from Kingston Road to the lake front. $300000 brick bungalows north of Kingston, and some million-dollar and a few multi-million dollar homes at/near the lake front. Lots of old two storey brick homes south of Kingston Road in the $500000+ range too in some areas.

Last edited:
Pictures of Birch Cliff & Cliffside

Gerrard and Vic Park

VicPark-Gerrard1.jpg

VicPark-Gerrard2.jpg

Fallingbrook and Kingston Road

Fallingbrook-Kingston1.jpg

Fallingbrook

Fallingbrook1.jpg

Fallingbrook2.jpg

Kingston Road near Warden

KingstonRoad.jpg

North of Kingston Road

NorthofKingston.jpg

South of Kingston Road

SouthofKingston.jpg

Birchmount and Kingston Road

Birchmount-Kingston2.jpg

Kingston Road just east of where Danforth Ave merges with it

KingstonDanforth2.jpg

There is a meeting next month on the future of Kingston Road:

Notice of Public Meeting
To be held by the Scarborough Community Council

Request to Amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law for the Kingston Road (Cliffside Community) Avenue Study
Various Properties
Ward 36 - Scarborough Southwest
City of Toronto

Applicant: City of Toronto

Location of Amendments: Lands abutting the north and south sides of Kingston Road [from Danforth Avenue to Chine Drive]

Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Time: 1:30 p.m., or as soon as possible thereafter
Place: Scarborough Civic Centre, Council Chamber, 160 Borough Drive, Toronto

Relevant quote:

The proposed Zoning By-law Amendment deletes the current Highway Commerical (HC), Neighbourhood Commercial (NC), Community Commercial (CC), and Apartment Residential (A) zoning and replaces it with a Commercial-Residential (CR) Zone with permits a mixture of commercial, residential and institutional uses

Permitted heights within the Commercial-Residential Zone vary from a minimum of 3 storeys to a maximum of 8 or 11 storeys

Back