297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 830     0 

Billy Bishop Airport Pedestrian Tunnel Project

WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that we do not have a specific thread for this significant, ongoing project!

In March 2012, Ports Authority entered an agreement that follows a public private partnership model to build a pedestrian tunnel and improve access to and from the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.

In addition to facilitating pedestrian movement to and from the airport, the tunnel will carry City of Toronto water and sewage mains.

PortsToronto Project Page: http://www.portstoronto.com/Airport/Pedestrian-Tunnel.aspx
Official BBTCA Tunnel Project WebPage: http://www.bbtcatunnelproject.ca/

18-BBTCA-Tunnel-Timeline-2014.jpg

Billy-Bishop-Tunnel-cross-section.jpg

15-Tunnel-Long-Section.jpg

Billy-Bishop-Airport-Tunnel-Interior.jpg

Island-pavillion-interior.jpg

Billy-Bishop_Tunnel_Boards_island-side-pavilion.jpg

New Mainland Terminal:

Billy-Bishop_Tunnel_mainland-pavilion.jpg

PortsToronto Sets Tunnel Opening Date for Late July 2015

WHEN WILL IT OPEN
On Friday, May 29, the tunnel project’s Independent Certifier issued a “substantial completion” certificate to PortsToronto, PCL Construction and Forum Equity Partners – a significant milestone in the tunnel’s construction. Although final finishing work is still underway, the “substantial completion” certificate means that construction will now enter its final phase and enables PortsToronto to set an opening date of late July 2015. Determination of a final date will be communicated in the coming weeks.
http://www.portstoronto.com/Toronto...Assets/PDFs/BBTCA-Tunnel-Update-June-2015.pdf

Ah, no wonder... Its the same thread as the general BB airport thread...

I've avoided that thread for years specifically to avoid the Porter and Island Jets debate. I see value in splitting the threads for that reason alone but I'll let the mods decide.
I'm fairly new to this forum, but there's seems to be an overly strong push to consolidate threads. It seems every topic on bicycle infrastructure belongs in the "Is Toronto Bicycle Friendly" thread. Not even the right title for a general thread. I'm all for this getting its own thread.

Not sure why the airport tunnel would deserve it's own thread. We've been discussing it quite successfully in this thread for years now. It's had major media coverage as well over the years. With it just about done, discussion will be pretty much over soon. It's not like we have separate threads for different terminals at Pearson, so why would we have separate threads for different parts of the same terminal at Billy Bishop.

Agreed, it's just about done and I have been following it in the existing thread. Seems unnecessary to create a duplicate.

I have not been paying much attention to the other thread, but I like the photos of this thread. Separate of any of the controversy of jets/nojets.

If we had to have a separate thread, this is a good start.

If we don't want this thread, this'll just get buried but is still diggable-up in the future.

Not sure why the airport tunnel would deserve it's own thread. We've been discussing it quite successfully in this thread for years now. It's had major media coverage as well over the years. With it just about done, discussion will be pretty much over soon. It's not like we have separate threads for different terminals at Pearson, so why would we have separate threads for different parts of the same terminal at Billy Bishop.

I agree, too many "sub-threads" already and splitting off stuff like the tunnel is silly! UT "organisation" and indexing is strange enough as it is.

Mods: Can you merge into http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...t-porter-toronto-port-authority.3063/page-262

It's a shame this project didn't finish in time for the Pan Am Games.
Not sure why we have a whole new thread for a project that has been discussed at length elsewhwere and is nearly done.....but I'll bite....how much impact would this tunnel have had on the Pan Am games......is there a significant influx of visitors coming from Porter destinations to the games? or, more likely, are most (by a large margin) arriving at Pearson? Those that are arriving at BB via Porter are they likely to have a negative view of Toronto because of the ferry or are they likely to go home telling people "great city that Toronto and it was kinda cool that we road a ferry from the airport to the city".

The tunnel is a good project but it will be of greater use to the people that use the airport regularly.....I would bet that when the tunnel is open and people have the option of tunnel or ferry, the regulars will use the tunnel and the one time visitors/tourists will opt for the experience of the ferry.

I agree with you TOareaFan, just simply a shame that such an interesting project will be missed by some people given any influx into this airport during the games. The ferry is definitely a charming experience.

Back