News   Jun 03, 2024
 607     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.3K     9 

Best Vantage Point

4grand

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm filming a short film and I want to have a few different shots of the city during different parts of the day.

I want the best shot of the skyline and also one that looks good at night.

Would this be from the Island? From the west?

Anyone have any suggestions?

personally, i'm tired of the skyline from the islands. it's become way too typical and does not do toronto justice. you really cant gage the depth of the skyline or see the variety of buildings.

personally, i love seeing the skyline from the west and the east. if i had to pick a spot, i'd find a roof in between dufferin and ossington. i'm guessing you want a picture of the core, so i wouldn't go father north than king.

but what do i know?! there's so many possibilities! do you want to see the lake? do you want to capture the growing yorkville skyline? do you like mid-rises and houses? are you going for originality?

i love this city.

some of the easiest places to access is the parking lot at sound academy (formerly the docks) and although it's a tad far away, humber bay way out west has some great views as well. if you're looking for something closer, try Ireland park near the toronto island airport ferry.

Robarts is my personal favourite view of the city. Second favourite is the view from the Gardiner (I think I prefer the eastbound trip, but westbound is pretty cool too)

If you want Toronto in the background with your characters in the foreground, one of the best spots would be Broadview Avenue, south of the Danforth overlooking Riverdale Park.

In the old days, back when tv reporters put an effort into their on-camera stand-ups, the good ones always went here for the perfect skyline backdrop. It's now become a much under-used vantage point of our city.

^
you mentioning riverdale park reminded me of the lookout at the don valley brickworks. definitely some nice views from there.

brilliant ideas. i love the view from broadview as well as the metropolis/akira view from the gardiner. breathtaking.

the view from cherry beach is nice. the skyline from the north on avenue road is also stunning.

also, go to the rooftop of dragon city at spadina and dundas. my goodness, terrific view! and great chinese food after you're done taking pictures.

1. View from the edge of Polson Street where the Docklands club used to be (oops, mentioned already).
2. Schoolyard of Regal Road Public School at the top of the Dufferin/Davenport hill - there is a chain link fence though that makes taking pics a bit difficult however you can walk up the hill (there is a walkway on the other side of the fence) for an unobstructed view.
3. Dundas and Ossington or just west of Ossington. Dundas jogs northwest at that intersection and when you look back at the city you get a very interesting angled view of the skyline (as opposed to looking down the straigth as an arrow King or Queen streets).
4. St.Clair and Spadina - at the top of the reservoir,tennis courts/playing field in the foreground, ravine and skyline in the background.

Last edited:
We get lovely views of downtown from the east end, as has already been pointed out.

One of my favourites is from the pedestrian bridge ( a local "icon" - and recently refurbished ) across the tracks at Gerrard and Pape. If you're filming, wait for a train to pass below, heading downtown. Standing there is a great Toronto-watching experience, by day or night.

From the East, definitely overlooking Riverdale Park around Hogarth/Grandview Avenue.

From the West, like Necessary Evil said, Dundas West at Ossington.

From the North, Casa Loma from the main tower.

And maybe even further west on Dundas, from the rail bridges at Sterling or so...

The view from my old apartment on Cambridge avenue used to have it all: the Bloor viaduct, some St. J filler and the Financial district all spread out like a centrefold.

Yes. I used to live in 70 ... but the view from 50 is better.

Great views during a storm. Noisy though, with traffic on the DVP roaring past all the time ... and an eery quiet when they shut it down now and then for repairs.

This probably doesn't help much (unless you can access areas along the tracks) but one of my favourite views of the city is coming into Union from the east on the trains.

Perfect scope, I find.

Back