News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

Best street to make over.

Some of these comments make me nervous. Yonge Street, Spadina Ave., College Street etc. these are wonderful areas, I don't understand why people don't like these stretches.

Lets all nominate the street (over a few blocks), that is most in need of a makeover.

I nominate Spadina Ave. between Queen and College.

The LRT makes it a major transit corridor, but it is under used. It is the second widest road in the city. To me it seems that the area is ripe for redevelopment and intensification. The location is great, and going back to the second point, I really feel that it has the most potential to be something truly special.

A fair number of locals have a different "something truly special" vision, involving the heritage retention of a lot of what you presumably deem ripe for redevelopment and intensification...

A fair number of locals have a different "something truly special" vision, involving the heritage retention of a lot of what you presumably deem ripe for redevelopment and intensification...

Can you show me more than a handful of buildings on Spadina Ave. between Queen and College, 3 or less stories, that are worthy of retaining? For a number of reasons, most seem dilapidated. There is a tax climate and zoning restrictions (FSI) that have effectively put the area in limbo.

Before last year I would have nominated Bloor btw Avenue & Yonge, but it's actually getting made over.

Ellesmere's a good choice, especially if York Mills and Wilson and Albion are included...that's like 200 blocks of everything from bleh to ugh.

Yonge north of Finch is soul-crushing, but maybe something will happen to it when the subway's extended.

Church Street between Gould and Dundonald.

Do something productive with Maple Leaf Gardens. Ease liquor licenses or zoning or whatever is preventing the area from opening new clubs and bars. Get rid of the street parking north of Carlton, and widen the sidewalk area with planters and benches and make-out spots. Big gates at Carlton and Wellesley to block the street off to cars on weekends in the summer, and to give the street some added dimension.

(Give the same treatment to College west)

I would say that a re-designed Queen Quay would have a MASSIVE impact.

Looks like we're in luck - it is being redeveloped.

My only beef is that Queens Quay should be redeveloped all the way west, not just to Spadina.

Really? I love the Spadina-Bathurst stretch of QQ--with the music garden, some sexy-looking midrises, only one traffic lane and the streetcar median I find it quite pretty.

i nominate Queens Quay between Yonge and Parliament.

Was reminiscing when I visited Singapore and I remember this district called Clarke Quay. it was so lively and so fun there... i think queens quay can turn into something like that.

Can you show me more than a handful of buildings on Spadina Ave. between Queen and College, 3 or less stories, that are worthy of retaining? For a number of reasons, most seem dilapidated. There is a tax climate and zoning restrictions (FSI) that have effectively put the area in limbo.

Between Dundas & College, virtually everything pre-1950 in its entirety. And Nick Holman, Cathy Nasmith et al made a case to that point a few years ago. Dilapidation, schmilapidation; keep your hands off Spadina, yokel...

alla -
I agree that the musuic gardens and the midrise, step back condos are great. What I want to see is the actual streetscape changed, not the buildings or treatments off-road. It doesnt make sense to me that the 1 lane each way on Queens Quay will end at Spadina, returning to a 2 lane each way road. I think that the current plan for turning the east-bound lanes into bike lakes and a wider sidewalk should be extended all the way over to the end of Queens Quay, near the Tip Top building. This would draw people further west along the waterfront, and better connect the future (if actually built) Museum of Toronto at the Canada Malting Silos. It would also connect the extending western residential communities of Old Fort York better with the Central Waterfront.

I'd like to see something done with Victoria Street (can it be saved?). Victoria is fairly short but it has a great location that is pretty much right in the heart of the downtown city, leading right into Dundas Square. Maybe a little 'Crescent Street' type of feel along here would be nice?

Shuter Street east of Yonge where it passes in front of Massey Hall (a landmark that needs a little TLC!) is another short but central street that is essentially a boring artery that I feel could be turned into something more. Here I envision a single, one-way lane for Traffic that would free up space for a downtown public plaza in front of the concert hall. Planters, pavings and/or fountains would create a more peaceful and less commercial alternative to Dundas Square, and would help to make a more prominent feature of Massey Hall, providing milling space for patrons before performances and at intermission.

These are small spaces and small urban gestures, but as with the Royal York/University triangle they offer a lot of potential for relatively little effort, and provide good opportunity for private/public collaboration.

So glad someone brought up this subject... for quite awhile I have had Bathurst St in my mind for this very topic. For a street so close to the downtown core, being a main thoroughfare it sure doesnt fullfil its potential at all! Starting at Lakeshore to Front, its a complete hideous eye sore in a very prominent location seen by many tourists. It appears that progress here with projects like Malibu and Panorama, City Place Park etc that this section of the street will be dragged into the 21st century. Above Front, ya its just a mish mash of terrible low rise buildings mostly suffering from their age. Also the street is too narrow... would love to see it widened to the scale of Spadina and become another "great"(for this city) Avenue.

Cant really agree with the complaints about Spadina... that area is very vibrant and alive. I think its benefitting from infill of mid-rise buildings on the ajacent blocks, mainly to the east...

This may surprise some...but how about Bay St, south of Queen?

Yes, the buildings are impressive, but the streetscaping and the retail really don't reflect very well that this is the heart of the MINT and some of the most expensive blocks in the country! It feels more like a traffic artery with too many people vicariously balancing a skinny sidewalk. Maybe it could also use one of them "Bull & Bear" sculptures somewhere along its route.

This may surprise some...but how about Bay St, south of Queen?

Yes, the buildings are impressive, but the streetscaping and the retail really don't reflect very well that this is the heart of the MINT and some of the most expensive blocks in the country! It feels more like a traffic artery with too many people vicariously balancing a skinny sidewalk. Maybe it could also use one of them "Bull & Bear" sculptures somewhere along its route.

You can't really blame anyone but the PATH for the poor retail on the street.

Back