News   May 10, 2024
 282     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 399     0 

Best Poutine

Ah poutine, that's where I'm a viking!

I'm going to start by clarifying some guidelines of what constitutes poutine:

- cheese curds
- poutine style gravy (which doesn't necessarily have to contain meat products)
- french fries that have been twice cooked, meaning first cooking them at a lower temperature to soften the potatoes, then frying them hotter to crisp the outside

That said, adding things like pulled pork, bacon, or whatever else you like is all fine, as long as the above ingredients aren't altered in any way.

Therefore, if we are playing by the rules, Popeye's, McDonald's, or any other place that serves "poutine" without cooking the fries twice is serving fries with cheese curds and gravy. Not poutine.

Smoke's is where I go, though nothing quite stacks up to QC mom 'n pops, or even chains like Chez Ashton.
I have had some "offerings" from other places, which I wouldn't personally classify as poutine. I didn't mind the product McDonald's claims is poutine (it isn't!). I found the cheese curds and gravy to both be quite up to par, though while I don't dislike McFries, they aren't suited to making poutine.
Popeye's fries even less so, as they have cajun seasoning!
Not saying they don't taste great, but let's not pretend Spumante Bambino is Champagne.

End rant.

If you have a chance, go to Kilgour's on a Habs game night (preferrably early) and they will have a poutine special that, from my experience, is the closest thing to anything you'd buy in Montreal. Also, if you're at Beer Bistro post 10pm, they have a poutine with their duckfat fries, beef jus, cheese curds and bbq chicken.

I was at the Marlies game last Saturday and got the poutine from Smokes Poutinerie. It was quite good, though I am guessing it is nothing like what you get in Quebec.

Last edited:
I was at the Marlies game last Saturday and got the pouting from Smokes Poutinerie. It was quite good, though I am guessing it is nothing like what you get in Quebec.
It's honestly pretty close to the real thing. Ryan Smolkin (Smoke's founder) understands poutine better than anyone else in Toronto. They get their cheese curd from Quebec while most others source locally.

Hands down Costco.

I've had poutine just about anywhere (here and in Quebec) and Costco has the best fries, gravy and curds. I'm not a big fan of non-standard poutine (anything more than the three ingredients listed previously).

Costco though is on the money, plus it's cheap.

Back