News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 946     1 

Beltline Trail

Then just create some nice shelters. I dont understand the desire to mimic the failure of the Beltline railway in any way.
Nobody is proposing recreating the beltline - what is being proposed is commemorating its route for pedestrians and cyclists with 'oases' en route where the stations used to be to allow for a rest spot, a historical marker or a bench - depending on the available space. Makes sense to me to try to physically demonstrate what used to be there - even if only for a few years.

I dont understand this project. We are glorifying the lost stations of a failed rail line that was in service for 2 years?

I'm actually gratified to see this come to be. I am hoping that it has some connection to a motion passed at City Council back in 2016 which tried to generate momentum around the theme

The vast majority of Toronto's heritage railway stations are long gone - most were torn down before heritage laws gained stature, and in fact some of these demolitions (CP West Toronto being the key example) actually drove the passing of Heritage Preservation laws.

Back in 2016 a small group of us tried to get Metrolinx interested in designing its stations towards a heritage flavour. There was absolutely no appetite for that - ML's desire to be recognized for "Design Excellence" drove them to more modern and flashier architecture. We were however glad for the support from many City Councillors.

We didn't get any actual railway stations built, but I'm happy to see the City incorporating this spirit into the Belt Line trail, which has its own associative heritage value to the city.

- Paul

Last edited:
I'm actually gratified to see this come to be. I am hoping that it has some connection to a motion passed at City Council back in 2016 which tried to generate momentum around the theme

The vast majority of Toronto's heritage railway stations are long gone - most were torn down before heritage laws gained stature, and in fact some of these demolitions (CP West Toronto being the key example) actually drove the passing of Heritage Preservation laws.

Back in 2016 a small group of us tried to get Metrolinx interested in designing its stations towards a heritage flavour. There was absolutely no appetite for that - ML's desire to be recognized for "Design Excellence" drove them to more modern and flashier architecture. We were however glad for the support from many City Councillors.

We didn't get any actual railway stations built, but I'm happy to see the City incorporating this spirit into the Belt Line trail, which has its own associative heritage value to the city.

- Paul
Metrolinx really should create more contextual stations rather than a "one-size-fits-all" approach. Instead they've come out with a new Design Standard that emphasizes a minimalistic design for all stations, without any public consultation! Regarding this project, I think it's a great idea to improve the character of this area by celebrating what used to be here! And I'm really happy that Parks&Rec took a creative approach to an otherwise typical project.

Nobody is proposing recreating the beltline - what is being proposed is commemorating its route for pedestrians and cyclists with 'oases' en route where the stations used to be to allow for a rest spot, a historical marker or a bench - depending on the available space. Makes sense to me to try to physically demonstrate what used to be there - even if only for a few years.

If I created such a failure I wouldn't want to glorify it in some way, but I guess thats just me. Seems stupid to me, not gonna change my opinion on it. Make some nice shelters, maybe name them after things in Toronto we should be proud of. Not a failed rail line.

Then just create some nice shelters. I dont understand the desire to mimic the failure of the Beltline railway in any way.
It connects people to why the beltline trail even exists. Most people on the trail probably think it was some great master urban planning exercise to build a recreational trail and don't realize that it was built as a railway line that, had it survived, probably would be providing a well used service in 2019 (nothing is well used in Covid lockdown).

I have taken photos of the Eglinton Beltline station today:

IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0545.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0549.jpg

Here's a walk along the York Beltline Trail:

It gives you a good view of the stations along it. However, it was filmed during the winter, so you cannot see the railway-like bricking underneath the snow.

Here's a view of one of the stations with the railway-like bricking on the ground:

Which is the problem we now have by automobiles demanding exclusive use of the paved streets just for themselves.

Well that's only cause those pesky pedestrians are demanding exclusive use of the sidewalks. And boats are demanding exclusive use of the waterways. And planes are demanding exclusive use of the air.

If I created such a failure I wouldn't want to glorify it in some way, but I guess thats just me. Seems stupid to me, not gonna change my opinion on it. Make some nice shelters, maybe name them after things in Toronto we should be proud of. Not a failed rail line.

I hear ya. But even as a failure it's still a neat bit of history - that there was a point in TO's past where tycoons could build their own rail line for the masses. And the crosstown segment is a bit of an infrastructure quirk/anomaly...running along backyards and such. And ultimately the city's still pretty young so we don't have as much to draw on unlike say the US northeast. For midtown this is historically about as good as it gets.

As a Kitchener resident, I really like this project and wish our own rail trail had something like it. There was supposed to be enhanced historical signage as part of a general overhaul in 2019, but instead the city just demolished one of the only surviving pieces of heritage (a short creek bridge). Most of the iconography and signage and even the name dates from the original 1997 trail creation and implies a steam heritage that never existed (it was an interurban line). Hopefully this project with the Beltline is something that could be pointed to and imitated.

I have taken photos of the Eglinton Beltline station today:

View attachment 323801

First, a thanks for taking the pics.

Second..........that use-at-your-own-risk sign makes me want to throttle someone............what a terrible message.

The liability risk is really low, in part because the beltline itself (unless this has changed) is not maintained in winter.

So, even if you have any arguable reason for such signage, it would only be at trail entrances/exits. Even then I question it. We don't shovel snow off soccerfields in winter, nor playgrounds, yet we don't tack use-at-your-own risk signage down in front of all of them.

How uninviting.

Second, I hope those Hemlocks (the conifers in the background) aren't in sun all day...........they'll die.

Third, I hope more landscaping is coming.

Last edited:

Back