Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
@ushahid

What do you think?

if u live in the 18 yonge street building, let me put it this way for u Wade. I bet there were many people who were against 18 yonge st because it casted shadow or blocked their view at that time u didn't care about the people living in the neighborhood but now u care cause its affecting u. when u live in a booming city/town u have to understand that things don't stay the same for ever.
My parents bought a house in West Kelowna 3 years ago, we had a beautiful view of the Okanagan valley and Kelowna. then last year someone started building a house right across street. my parents tried their best to stop the construction and my parents even made an offer for that piece of land but they refused and built the house and blocked our view. I realized few months ago that our house blocked the view of the house behind our house.
the moral of the story is that don't live in a booming city If u love ur view or you have problems with taller buildings casting shadows. I hope u understand.

I'm of the opinion that if one buys in this city , or any other major city for that matter, and you live in an apartment in the centre of the city one has to do ones homework to keep expecting a view forever.

I'm of the opinion that if one buys in this city , or any other major city for that matter, and you live in an apartment in the centre of the city one has to do ones homework to keep expecting a view forever.

Especially for this location. I mean, one sincerely didn't expect to live in a condo casting shadow to be in the shadow of another building right?

AoD

Last edited:
The success of Bay Park Centre has made the 18 Yonge site a lot more valuable. Of course, the real estate value of the all the individual suites is still probably higher.

I will echo @AG, and elaborate. As I recently said in this thread, we believe the documents filed with the City, by which the developers will gain approval to build through Zoning Bylaw Amendments and Site Plan Approval. The documents are drawn up with exactitude (and while they can be amended through a regulated process), they become part of the official documentation of the building. On the other hand, press releases are typically drawn up quickly by ad people who typically are more interested in the way things sound than the quality of the information they convey.

Ok thanks for the clarification, this makes sense.

This project is in clear violation of the shadow laws and block out nesesarry sunlight on residents of 18 Yonge Street Toronto a residential neighbour . 49 stories and the close proximity plus space allowed for construction would have an unfair impact and access to sunlight to a residential residence.

The Site Plan Approval application for the development of this 48 storey office tower on 45 Bay Street needs a new more detaled shadow impact to reflect the rights of the tennant of 18 Yonge Street and their right to sunlight and quality of life.

Is this a joke? Did you really think a huge parking lot downtown would go undeveloped forever? Had you bought a unit facing East, this wouldn't have been a problem. So who's the blame here? Also as an FYI, the sun moves. It's not like you'll be plunged into darkness forever but you're right, let's halt a billion dollar development to asses the sunlight 'rights' of neighbouring condos owners. Brilliant idea.

When lining up to get into the ACC tonight, I noticed signs saying the parking lot shuts down as of May 22nd.

and now that I can upload the picture

20170419_215642.jpg

...would have an unfair impact and access to sunlight to a residential residence.

There is no right to light at common law.

July 19, 2003
Do neighbours have right to natural light?
The law on this questions was clearly set out by the Ontario Court of Appeal in 1978. A landowner named Earl Putnam Organization Ltd. sued its neighbour for constructing a fence directly in front of the Putnam window. The argument was that the fence interrupted its right to light.

In tossing out Putnam's case, the Court of Appeal noted "at common law, there is no natural right to lateral light. The law is clear that a landowner may so build on his land so as to prevent any light from reaching his neighbour's window unless the neighbour has acquired an easement" to light by a specific deed or by the passage of time. (Sort of like squatter's rights to sunlight.)

Back in 1880, the Ontario legislature amended the Limitations Act to eliminate the right of a landowner to acquire a right to light or air by 20 years' continuous use. Now, local politicians and planners have the responsibility of ensuring that owners and tenants will not be left in the dark, literally, by nearby property developments.

Municipal zoning bylaws and development agreements often go to considerable lengths to minimize the impact of shadows on adjacent land in order to ensure that light, view and privacy can be enjoyed by everyone.

As a result, right-to-light issues often come before a local Committee of Adjustment or the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) on an application to vary the strict provisions of a zoning bylaw.
http://www.aaron.ca/columns/2003-07-19.htm

That sign is a beautiful thing. After May 22, nobody will ever park there again...except underground.

A lot of people will park their money there :)

Canadians use the term "Car Park"? I always thought that was just British English, as when I first moved here people looked at me funny when I said that! :)

Canadians use the term "Car Park"? I always thought that was just British English, as when I first moved here people looked at me funny when I said that! :)

"Parking lot" is the common term for a ground-level lot but I've usually heard the British term "Car park" used here - although more often for a multi-level "parking-garage" or "parkade" - all common terms.

Back