Baby, we got a bubble!? | Page 718

Discussion in 'Real Estate General Discussions' started by simuls, Nov 2, 2009.

1. NorthYorkEd

NorthYorkEd Active Member

My experience was quite the opposite. :)

During my decade of single detached home ownership, I found every weekend was spent doing some type of work or maintenance. The yard was supposed to be a mini-paradise of leisurely strolls and hobby gardening, but was more of an anchor wrapped around my feet. It required endless care and tending. Fertilizer, weeds, soil, seeds, cutting, trimming, watering...ugh!

Of course, at the time, we thought this was everything we ever wanted in the whole wide world. I can certainly appreciate how everyone has a preference, but I'm glad that my "dream" was eventually infiltrated by "reality". Now I know exactly what I want and prefer.

The LAST thing I want to be doing these days is spending my Saturday mornings browsing Home Depot, looking for a new garden hose. :)

slicecom and ponyboy like this.

2. Eug

Eug Senior Member

That’s why I pay someone to help out with the garden. I view it like condo fees.

Also, we have an in-ground sprinkler system. Very convenient.

3. PinkLucy

PinkLucy Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you can pay anyone to do anything, from washing the windows to shovelling the snow to weeding the garden. The freedom comes in when you get to decide who, when and how much to pay. There are freedoms in both lifestyles, and each one has its pros and cons.

TheKingEast likes this.
  4. TheKingEast

TheKingEast Senior Member

Good point @PinkLucy

Here's an example: My building decided to replace all of the lobby furniture. It looks terrible. There is no way a designer was used. But guess who had to pay for it? That's the thing about living in a condo. You're at the mercy of the board. Your "freedom" is at the mercy of someone else. So put a dollar value on that I guess.

5. TrickyRicky

TrickyRicky Senior Member

IMG_0955.JPG I rescued this old table from a book in the garbage that shows the last time interest rates were this low. Of note is how long it took for interest rates to normalize. These are US numbers but they give us a historical precedent. Normalization is hard and takes a long time. Notes in the margin are mine. Normalization by 2030?

6. nrb

nrb Active Member

There is a lot about economic theory and central bank policy that has changed.

Comparing US central banking policy from when they were still on the gold standard is silly.

7. TrickyRicky

TrickyRicky Senior Member

^so you are saying that normalization isn't hard and won't take a long time?

8. nrb

nrb Active Member

No, I am saying extrapolating future interest rates based on the ww2 time period of a different country is dumb.

9. BMyers

BMyers Active Member

TheKingEast likes this.