News   May 16, 2024
 595     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 834     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 603     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

Brad Lamb sold his penthouse at Tip Top.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...side-brad-lambs-tip-top-condo/article2112744/

Dunno the size, but it sounds like over 2000 sq. ft. List price was $1.595 million, but it sold for over that. I wonder what that means. $650-750 per square foot, with all his custom upgrades?

Sold for $1.635.000. A very upgraded unit however. In the video he says he combined 2 units and that the units where all around the 1000 sq.ft. mark so probably 2000+ sq.ft. is quite accurate.

Sold for $1.635.000.
Oh, was that in the video? If so I missed it.

A very upgraded unit however.
Yes, very nice, and a nice patio too.

In the video he says he combined 2 units and that the units where all around the 1000 sq.ft. mark so probably 2000+ sq.ft. is quite accurate.
My sis's place is around 1800 sq. feet, and I don't think it's two combined units, but it's not a penthouse.

Yeah, but she still did well nonetheless IMO at around $576 per square foot (with a parking space too). That's what the sellers get for pricing too high. I kept on telling my sis' that the place was overpriced, but maybe she didn't need the advice. She lowballed, and then played hardball during the back and forth negotiations. She eventually gave them a take-it-leave-it offer and they took it, for a 9% haircut off the listing price.

The sellers made the mistake of listing high, and few were interested. Then they listed lower but ran into problems because they had a renter that wasn't fully cooperating with the viewings. So then they got rid of the renter but by then it had been a few months on the market, still priced somewhat too high.

This is in stark contrast to the way BJL marketed his place, of course.

Last edited:
So is lamb now a renter?
I doubt it. I betcha he's a flipper.

A contractor family I know does this all the time. Family members get houses built inexpensively, and then live in them for a few years as their primary homes, and then they sell them at market price. Since these are their primary residences, there is no tax on the capital gains.

EDIT:

Here are the details.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...condo-king-sells-his-own-home/article2112809/

$1635000, 2300 square feet = $711 per square foot, but includes two adjacent parking spots and a locker. Condo fee is $1432.

He makes the claim the unit would usually be worth $2 million, which is of course baloney because if true he would have listed it for more than he did.

Last edited:
All top tier real estate agents are flippers. They get ridiculous discounts compared to the public.

All top tier real estate agents are flippers. They get ridiculous discounts compared to the public.

plus they get the 4% pre-con broker commission and save at least 1/2 of the seller commission, which is one of the largest cost for R/E transactions buy/sell.

Last edited:
Seems entirely ethical to me.

of course it is.

what other industry can:
* guarantee prices will go up without penalty or sanctions;
* front run a purchase in pre-construction with brokers, friends and family before the public;
* have complete lack of transparency in the resale bidding transactions;
* insert your item here

Remember BJL is a developer.
I would bet he is going to take a unit in one of his buildings or perhaps the condo king wants a house.
I doubt he would rent other than perhaps for the short term. It would make no sense for him to do so.

$1635000, 2300 square feet = $711 per square foot, but includes two adjacent parking spots and a locker. Condo fee is $1432.

He makes the claim the unit would usually be worth $2 million, which is of course baloney because if true he would have listed it for more than he did.

That's really funny. Because agents always say that sellers think their properties are worth more than they are due to emotional attachment, when in reality, the valuation is based on the price the market dictates. In this case, the market said $1.635, not $2 million.

Back