News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 887     0 

Aviation in Ontario

I had forgotten some of those things made it into the Air Canada colours, just like some of the old 737s. Those were heady times around and just after the takeover.

I flew on them a number of times in and out of Dryden. If I recall, Nordair flew into there too but I don't remember what they flew.
It may have been the F27. I'm not sure if you could get a 737-200 out of there or not.

It may have been the F27. I'm not sure if you could get a 737-200 out of there or not.
What ever it was, it was a ride both ways. On takeoff, the pilot turned so close to the threshold that if you were in a rearward seat you looked down on gravel, then spooled up with the brakes on until I swear the tires started to skid. On landing, the thrust reversers were deployed for a looong time, probably only because they couldn't get an anchor and chain out the door in time.

I was always surprised something that large landed there, since it was a pretty basic airport. One time, I was coming east for Christmas and the plane was delayed for maintenance in Winnipeg. My ride had already gone and the airport is several miles out of Dryden. The best they could do was rig the vending machines (I think all three of them) so you didn't need to use coins. Once we were airborne, the drinks were free (oh, those were the days). I poured myself off the plane about 2am - good thing my brother was there to pick me up.

What ever it was, it was a ride both ways. On takeoff, the pilot turned so close to the threshold that if you were in a rearward seat you looked down on gravel, then spooled up with the brakes on until I swear the tires started to skid. On landing, the thrust reversers were deployed for a looong time, probably only because they couldn't get an anchor and chain out the door in time.

I was always surprised something that large landed there, since it was a pretty basic airport. One time, I was coming east for Christmas and the plane was delayed for maintenance in Winnipeg. My ride had already gone and the airport is several miles out of Dryden. The best they could do was rig the vending machines (I think all three of them) so you didn't need to use coins. Once we were airborne, the drinks were free (oh, those were the days). I poured myself off the plane about 2am - good thing my brother was there to pick me up.
Now that's flying! I miss a good brake stand!

WOW! To quote Austin Powers "Fook me!".

Maybe we need an Urban Toronto Aviation / Drone thread too (@interchange42) 🤣
Sorry it took me so long @TwinHuey, but I am playing catchup with many threads. So, 25 related posts from the Buttonville thread have now become the seed of this general Ontario Aviation thread. Cheers!

Aviation in Toronto has a rich history.

Dini Petty with CKEY's pink helicopter from the '70's.

She logged 5,000 hours flying over the city in this Hughes 300.

CKEY Dini Petty 1970's-2.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

That's right, Rob. I totally forgot about Dini Petty and the pink chopper!

Something else I forgot was what it was like to take photos in sunny weather! I captured EK242 passing through 5600 feet over Erin Mills today about two minutes after a YYZ runway 23 takeoff this afternoon.
1705357652884.jpeg

That's right, Rob. I totally forgot about Dini Petty and the pink chopper!

Something else I forgot was what it was like to take photos in sunny weather! I captured EK242 passing through 5600 feet over Erin Mills today about two minutes after a YYZ runway 23 takeoff this afternoon.
View attachment 533471
The sky appears to be a strange colour. I think they call it blue.

Back