News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 536     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Yorkdale Subway Station Easier Access (Arc En Ciel Reinstallation)

And don't discount the redevelopment possibility of the 1 Yorkdale office block someday, which may work t/w resolving the accessibility issue...

Yorkdale Station Could Get a Groovy Makeover
A motion to fund public art at the station leaves many hopeful for an Arc en Ciel return.

From link.

yorkdale-ext-night-arcenciel.jpg

Hopefully with LED lights.

According to the motion, it would be fully funded by Section 45 funds obtained from a development at 3401 Dufferin St.

Found the motion, at this link.

MM20.26 ACTION Ward:15

Authorization to Release Section 45 Funds from the Development at 3401 Dufferin Street for Public Art at Yorkdale Subway Station - by Councillor Josh Colle, seconded by Councillor Joe Mihevc

* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.

Recommendations

Councillor Josh Colle, seconded by Councillor Joe Mihevc, recommends that:

1. City Council amend the approved 2016 Capital Budget for the Toronto Transit Commission, in the amount of $47,000.00 gross, $0 net, on a one-time basis, fully funded by Section 45 funds obtained in the development at 3401 Dufferin Street (source account: XR3028-4500165) to supplement the Toronto Transit Commission's Public Art Strategy for the Yorkdale Station (Engineering Construction and Expansion Department – Easier Access Phase III Project).

Summary
Funds in the amount of $700,000 have been secured and received as a condition of approval of a minor variance (Section 45) application in relation to a development at 3401 Dufferin Street (Committee of Adjustment file A733/13NY). The funds were secured as a contribution to the Toronto Transit Commission for capital improvements to the Yorkdale subway station, as determined by the Chief Executive Officer of the Toronto Transit Commission, in consultation with the Ward Councillor.

This Motion seeks the authorization to release $47,000 in Section 45 monies to the Toronto Transit Commission, in order to undertake the reinstatement of the Yorkdale Station Arc en Ciel art installation.

Background Information
Member Motion MM20.26
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/mm/bgrd/backgroundfile-94813.pdf)

Great news -- but I can't help wondering, where did the $47,000 figure come from? According to the artist, the piece was worth $250,000 in 2006, and would surely cost more given ten years of inflation. If it can be reinstalled for $47,000, wonderful, but I'd sure like to know where that amount came from.

Great news -- but I can't help wondering, where did the $47,000 figure come from? According to the artist, the piece was worth $250,000 in 2006, and would surely cost more given ten years of inflation. If it can be reinstalled for $47,000, wonderful, but I'd sure like to know where that amount came from.

probaobly cost of diffrent equipment

I wonder if they will move to a LED based system - it's low maintenance, relative to neon lights.

AoD

That's what I suspect as well. Light installations similar to this are much more common and much less expensive than the original installation. Either way, great news!

That's what I suspect as well. Light installations similar to this are much more common and much less expensive than the original installation. Either way, great news!

Honestly though I wouldn't want it put back up with Yorkdale in its' current condition - it's a mess.

AoD

Though I might suspect some naysayers to come out and argue that the constant changing colours of bright LEDs at night is going to be
an "eyesore" and will make their sleep difficult.... haha

Who actually lives near here who isn't already impacted by light spill and noise from the Allen?

Back