987     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 648     1 

another idiot from city council

ITcomputer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Councillor Fletcher Challenges Concerned Taxpayers At Budget Debate

Councillor Paula FletcherTue, 2010-03-02 09:36.
Mark Carcasole

Debate between City Councillor Paula Fletcher and some Toronto taxpayers Monday night got a little heated.

Fletcher implied that many of the concerned residents at the public operating budget consultation were there because they were sent there by NewsTalk 1010's John Tory, and that if he hadn't been encouraging residents to speak out at the meeting, they wouldn't have come.

When one member of the public yelled out "you should be fired," Fletcher challenged him to run against her in the municipal election.

Things started heating up as Fletcher questioned taxpayer John Smith.

Click here to listen to the audio

At one point in the shouting match Fletcher told the angry resident "come on down baby!"

Budget Chief Shelley Carroll can be heard in the audio trying to calm everyone down.

Councillor Paula Fletcher was reached by Newstalk 1010 Reporter Amber Gero and aplogized if her tone "put anybody off" but said the city is under a tremendous amount of financial pressure and everyone feels "very strongly about these budget cuts".

Listen to Paula Fletcher's apology.

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/565/1092723

Can someone who listens to the John Tory show tell me, what is Mr. Tory's genius idea to fix city budgets? I've listened to his show on the rare occasion, and he only tries to make mountains of molehills. I haven't heard any substantial ideas out of him.

They played the audio on CBC radio today and I kind of admired her, really. The article sort of makes it sound like she was challenging the yelling dude to a fight, but "come on down, baby" clearly referred to the idea of him (or anyone yelling about their HARD-EARNED TAX DOLLARS) running against her in the upcoming election.

The whole thing shows a serious lack of composure on her part, but still, "You think I should be fired? Run against me" is a fairly simple and logical message.

I think she behaved like a jerk. Other councillors seemed to be capable of being reasonable at the same meeting, so she has no excuse for acting so stupid.

I agree, she could have worked a little bit harder at keeping her composure.

But tell me something, why should she have to deal with idiots? I honestly think public consultation is a crock because the majority of the public (maybe I'm exaggerating, maybe the majority of those that post comments on the star's site) are ignorant / to be frank, dumb and naive. I think we'd accomplish more if we were to hold these meetings with children under 10.

Also, the reply "why don't you run..." was very much 'composed' and was fitting given the situation, it was the rest of it that wasn't.

Oh, btw, Fletcher maybe very well be one of those 'star posters' so I'm just ranting about the 'public' here and not defending her in particular.

Last edited:
The whole thing shows a serious lack of composure on her part, but still, "You think I should be fired? Run against me" is a fairly simple and logical message.

I have no valid excuse for doing so, but I had the CFTO news on just not. This John Smith (if that is his real name) seems to be one of these right-wing gadflies that will often get under politicans skin until they lose their composure and pull one of these outbursts.

Uh,,,,,,

My take on this is different.

I listened to the clip and she was completely out of line and was really billigerent and unprofessional. She also came across as being entitled. She didn't want to answer any questions and was confrontational.

Anyone who listened to the clip should have heard what sounded like someone badgering some poor individual for having the gall to actually ask some questions from the taxpayers who showed up.

I listened to people who called in on the radio today, who had attended and they added further detail and it was absolutely clear that her behaviour was just bad. And she wasn't the only the counsilor acting like they were being bothered.

We're dealing with a bunch of self entitled elitists who just want you to shut up and pay the tax hikes.

Last edited:
who cares about composure at a time like that? it was her against many people, she needed to speak up. anyone with any self-respect should do so, especially if you have more power than the demonmstrators. use that power.

Are you guys fellow members of the communist party and scared to deride dear leader?

She is an embarrassment, shielding legitimate concerns behind motherhood issues. If Paula Fletcher is going to avoid any talk on the costs of service delivery, so long as he service is for a greater good, her usefulness on council is nil.

especially if you have more power than the demonmstrators. use that power.

Thank you for making the point. lol.

If anything, I would think it would be the complete opposite. Her position of power should have made her MUCH more sensitive to them.

I wish someone youtubed it... lol.

Royal Rumble 25 - when councillors attack! lol

The constituent is the one who was just spewing rhetoric. Good on Fletcher for calling him out.

Why? Fletcher only answered with her own "spewing."

A meeting like this was sure to draw critics from every part of the spectrum. They always do. The trouble with Fletchers supposed answers is that they once again supported the contention that all politicians are assholes. In fact, she didn't even answer the questions; she ranted. She did a huge disservice to council.

An even voice and actual facts go a long way to deflecting silly or empty criticism.

If anything, Fletcher could have reiterated the point that provincial downloading is still a major financial source of pain for the city. A rise in unemployment and welfare further contributes to those costs. Add to that, it should also be noted that the decision of a provincial arbitrator pushed up wages and benefits for police by 4.2%. These two items alone make up a big chunk of the present tax increase.

I think sometimes we expect too much from our politicians, to the point where we duhumanize them. People like to make fun of political speak and its vague, pandering and slippery ways, but when we jump on a politician for getting tripped up in their words or showing emotion we end up both justifying and demanding that status quo.

Obama's political drubbing over things like saying the police in Connecticut acted 'stupidly' when they arrested that professor or making the point that some voters are politically disaffected and cling to guns and religions is a prime example of this.

(I hadn't made the connection that Fletcher was in fact the councilperson who had ties to the Communist Party - I also don't think it's really relevant.)

Back