News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 510     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

androiduk's My Toronto

The old Paul Magder Fur Shop on Spadina north of Queen. This was sold a little while back and should be getting some TLC.

magder2.jpg

The old Paul Magder Fur Shop on Spadina north of Queen. This was sold a little while back and should be getting some TLC.

Ah, Paul Magder. The man who finally gave Canadians Sundays that didn't leave us saying "Thank God it's Monday". :)

Last edited:
Yonge & Cumberland. After years of living around here, I've never noticed this before. One of the remnants of old Yorkville I guess. Not sure what it is or what it does but I think I've seen something similar in St. Lawrence or Corktown.

cumberlandpole.jpg

Off-gassing vent. Seen these in a few spots in Leslieville - above certain sewer mains. Kind of an ornate elegance to this one.

I always think about how poorly this building is maintained, despite it's super-imposing location!
What a slum-lord (unless he's charging those pigeons rent?!)
I just pray developers don't use it's dilapidated appearance as excuse to tear it down for a condo (as was the main excuses back in Urban-'Renewal' days; ie: "Victorian Rot")

If it's falling apart, there's no reason to keep it. Of course, refurbishing it and bringing it up to code would be ideal, but if it's too expensive and no one is willing to invest in it, I say tear it down and build (the 'black door' folk will just have to find some place else! Lol). It's beyond even being a façade at this point. It would be nice if it was replaced with an office building with shops and eateries at the base, but that's highly unlikely. A condo would probably go there. If no condo, then what will happen is it will remain a gravel pit (like the one near Wellesely Station) for years. Or worse: a parking lot.

Back