News   Apr 26, 2024
 874     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 256     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 762     0 

Airport Courts Developers

I think Buttonville and Oshawa were to close as part of the plan with both being physically constrained from expanding and both being a short distance from Pickering and potentially having issues with airspace overlaps.

The GTAA does not control Oshawa or Buttonville. It already controls the Pickering airport lands. Sounds like empire-building to me.

From the GTAA Corporate Strategy Document (retyped, so there may be typos):

The GTAA also is able, by way of its Letters Patent, to support a South Central Ontario airport system. Accordingly, in 2001, the GTAA agreed to financially support Toronto Buttonville Airport and—at the request of the federal government—to undertake the planning work for a possible regional, reliever airport on the federally owned lands in north Pickering. It is anticipated that this planning work, the evaluation of the Pickering project, and an environmental impact assessment will take several years. Ultimately, it will be the Government of Canada that will decide whether an airport will be built in Pickering, but this decision will be based on the planning an analysis completed by the GTAA and the evaluation of the environmental impact assessment.

If an airport in Pickering is deemed necessary by the federal government, the GTAA has the opportunity to decide if it is prepared to undertake the development, operation and management of the airport. In addition, the GTAA continues to be interested in appropriate levels of involvement with other airports in the region, under the right conditions.

... or how precise he meant to be when he said '10 years', but the point is that Pier G construction will not be starting anytime soon ...

Master Plan published to cover construction activities between 2000 and 2020.
www.gtaa.com/Index.aspx?S....3.5&Tpl=1

Looks like the original intention was to have Pier G complete around 2015 but left open the possibility that it may be required earlier. Doesn't look like they've changed much from the original intention.

I think the problem with the Hamilton airport is that it's on the wrong side of that city. I'm sure that if it were in Flamborough (one of the first sites recommended for Toronto's second airport) it would be very successful, but right now, it's too far from everything. Even for people from Waterloo Region, Pearson is a shorter trip.

I doubt Flamborough was every a serious choice. I question the logic of building an airport on top of the provinces largest swamp. Maybe it that the cheap swampland that made it attractive in the first place.

Besides, any YYZ overflow that doesn't go to YHM can be handled by YOO and YTC

Back