News   May 09, 2024
 567     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 852     1 

A Bank Bet on Condos, but Buyers Want Out

vultur

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have seen the future of Toronto's condo scene and this is it!

Sandy Huffaker for The New York Times
Jeanette Graham of San Diego moved into her new condominium development last year, but few others have joined her.

By CHRISTINE HAUGHNEY
Published: October 9, 2007
Javier Miglin may walk away from an $80,000 down payment on a condominium with water views in Miami. Randal Mills may give up a $130,000 deposit on a 15th floor condo on the Strip in Las Vegas. And in San Diego, Jeanette Graham would just like to meet the neighbors.

Sandy Huffaker for The New York Times
When Jeanette Graham bought her apartment last year, she was able to negotiate a reduction in homeowner’s fees and other sweeteners. Now buyers are offered even better incentives.

Enlarge This Image

Marc Serota for The New York Times
Jack McCabe, a real estate consultant in Deerfield Beach, Fla., says the market downturn will hurt even successful developers.

The three seemingly unrelated predicaments have a common thread that leads to Chicago, and Corus Bankshares, which financed the construction of each condominium development involved.

Whether buyers like Mr. Miglin and Mr. Mills close on their condos will be a crucial indicator for Corus. Many condo projects that started during the real estate boom are just being completed, and developers must begin repaying construction loans taken out before the market turned sour. If buyers do not close, and developers struggle, lenders like Corus may be left holding the bag.

“We’re at the riskiest point of the condo lending cycle as these projects are being completed,†Jefferson L. Harralson, a bank analyst at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, said. “In the coming weeks and months, we’re going to find out what the demand for these condos really is.â€

Real estate clearly was a different story when Corus started concentrating on lending to condo projects a few years ago. The bank bet heavily that thousands of buyers, many hoping to turn a quick profit, would snap them up.

Today, developers owe Corus $4 billion, $3.7 billion of which, or 92 percent, is in condominiums. Of that, about 25 percent of them are in projects in the Miami area and 9 percent are in Las Vegas, according to regulatory filings. More than $2.15 billion of its outstanding loans are due by the end of this year. Nationwide, the number of condos completed this year will be up 45 percent — 232,933 vs. 160,239 — from 2006, according to data tracked by Marcus & Millichap Real Estate Investment Services, a real estate investment brokerage based in Encino, Calif.

But sales have fallen 12 percent through August, Marcus & Millichap said. And recent trends in Las Vegas and Miami, where at least six Corus-financed projects will be finished by next summer, are worse.

In the three-month period from June through August, sales fell 46 percent in Las Vegas and 29 percent in Miami from the year-earlier period, Marcus & Millichap said.

“Up until this point, Corus has been relatively unscathed with essentially one foreclosure,†said Peyton N. Green, a senior analyst in the Nashville office of the FTN Midwest Securities Corporation. That foreclosure, involving a condo conversion in Naples, Fla., resulted in a write-off of $13 million.

But the company’s stock price reflects the gloomy outlook, having fallen 36 percent in the past 12 months, to $13.61 a share yesterday. Mr. Green, who has a neutral rating on Corus’s shares, said about one-third of the shares have been sold short, a strategy used by speculators to profit from falling stock prices.

While most banks do not have the exposure to the condo market that Corus has, Mr. Harralson said they still face risk. Banks typically allocate an average of 15 percent of their loans to construction and the rest to consumer loans, business loans and other real estate.

Corus warned in its last quarterly filing that “a surge in buyer cancellations could be especially painful, particularly if a substantial percentage of a given project’s presale buyers did not close.â€

Still, the Corus Bank president, Robert J. Glickman, remained optimistic. So far, he said in an e-mail message, developers have used many successful strategies “to ensure that buyers come to the closing table.â€

“Good developers — those that are diligent, successful — need to keep up the buyers’ interest and desire to close,†he said.

That optimism raises warning signs with analysts like Jack McCabe, a real estate consultant in Deerfield Beach, Fla. He has been hired by hedge funds and other investors to study 8 of 12 projects in Miami that Corus has financed and advise them on their progress.

“In this market downturn, even the most successful developers with the best projects and the best geographic locations are going to take hits,†Mr. McCabe said. “Mr. Glickman’s comments are eagerly overoptimistic and do not match the severity of this downturn.â€

A real estate consultant in Miami, Lewis M. Goodkin, said a number of buyers under contract are hiring lawyers to help them get out of deals before the developers expect them to close. Mr. Goodkin, who has been hired by institutional investors trying to short Corus’s stock or buy up its loans at a discount, said that many buyers thought that they would be able to flip the apartments before having to close.

“They’re going to do everything they can to get their money back,†he said.

That is what Mr. Miglin is trying to do with the $391,000 apartment he bought at Corus’s Marina Blue project in Miami. The 36-year-old Los Angeles-based computer consultant put down his deposit three years ago with plans to flip the condo at a profit.

A year ago, he hired his developer to sell the 46th floor apartment. Then in August Mr. Miglin put the condo on Craigslist.com — along with seven other Marina Blue sellers who are trying to get rid of their apartments.

Now Mr. Miglin is running out of time because he expects his apartment to close at the end of October. If it closes, he will have to pay at least $20,000 to complete the unfinished unit with floors, closets and painting. He will also pay $15,000 in closing costs and roughly $3,500 a month on mortgage payments, property taxes and homeowners association dues. He calculates that even if he finds a renter he will not be able to pay back half of his monthly costs.

“I don’t want to take possession of it,†he said, but he still has not made up his mind.

Robert Cooper, a lawyer in Miami, said that buyers from five projects that Corus financed in Miami have contacted him seeking advice about how to get out of their contracts.

Ely R. Levy, a lawyer in Hollywood, Fla., said several clients approached him about breaking their contracts and recovering deposits on four South Florida projects financed by Corus.

Buyers in Las Vegas are starting to follow their Miami counterparts.

Mr. Mills, a 55-year-old general contractor and developer in Lake Havasu City, Ariz., put money down on a $728,000 apartment two years ago at a development called One Las Vegas. He hoped that eventually reselling the condo would give him a $100,000 profit that he could save for retirement. But as the project nears completion, he and his wife have decided that they would rather live in the cheaper condo they already own.

“I’m just doing what I can to sell mine before I have to close,†he said.

Then there are smaller markets like San Diego, where developers are also struggling to sell units. Corus helped finance 11 condo projects there, about 5 percent of its portfolio. More than half of the loans are for projects in downtown San Diego, which is scheduled to have 3,000 units completed by 2008.

Among the projects is the Icon, where Ms. Graham bought a one-bedroom apartment last year for $374,000. At the time, she said that she was able to negotiate a $9,000 reduction in homeowner association fees, $5,000 toward closing costs and a washer and dryer. She said that her building sold 80 percent of its apartments.

But she said that the building is now offering even better incentives. Residents who refer buyers get a $5,000 finder’s fee and an extra $5,000 for the buyer.

Still, she questions whether there will e any takers, especially since her building feels empty. “I can go a whole week without seeing a neighbor,†Ms. Graham said.

Contrarian in me says buy housing stocks...soon!

http://www.stockhouse.ca/comp_info.asp?symbol=CORS&table=LIST

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=cors&p=D&yr=0&mn=3&dy=0&id=p45879420300

corus bankshares' shares (CORS) are channeling at the moment let's wait for the buy signal to take advantage of it!

Also watching Brookfield Homes (BHS), Toll Brothers (TOL--had a nice W formation), Beazer Homes (BZH), others for bottom fishing.

Lagging the trend and possible short candidates: bank stocks, DE(deere) (cat) etc.

Remember, Canada traditionally lags behind America's economy by 1.5 years or so--so I'm expecting a correction (crash?) in late 2008 into 2009. The real estate flippers and crappy condo sellouts indicate the peak is near and that by 2010 there will be a flood of real estate agents seeking new job "opportunities."

Also, once the media starts screaming the end is near! (USA media--see article above) they are correct--the time to buy is near!

It's deja vu all over again. The scenarios being seen now in some parts of the States, especially Miami, are reminiscent of Toronto in 1989 and 1990. The Canadian banks were burned badly in those days. Business is done different now, and I really don't expect the sky to fall tomorrow.

There's no way this resembles Toronto. Builders in Florida are building on spec which is a sure recipe for disaster and is something that we no longer do up here.

"Still, she questions whether there will be any takers, especially since her building feels empty. “I can go a whole week without seeing a neighbor,†Ms. Graham said."

I would love to live in a building like that!

Blixtein, you might love it if you were a tenant. You'd be a little less enchanted if you were an owner, contemplating the fact that the equity you thought you might be able to build was instead going down the drain. :(

You correctly point out the difference between the situation in Florida and that here. It's why I doubt that we here will see anything resembling the scenario described. We have been there, done that, learned the lessons, and moved on.

Perhaps the correction will not as evenly as it is occurring in places like Florida and Vegas but the exact same dynamics apply. Specuvestors snapping up suites in the Four Seasons, The Ritz, Shang, etc. outnumber end users 2-1 I am POSITIVE. Developers are loathe to disclose that information as it rightfully burdens a project, but pay attention to cocktail party chatter and notice how often you hear people brag out how their Four Seasons unit has already appreciated $100k! This is the identical situation to high end projects in Miami.

Would it surprise anyone to learn that one particular offshore specuvestor group has single-handedly soaked up 10% of the new condo sales in the past year? ONE BUYER, 10% of the SALES.

I guess I must be going to the wrong cocktail parties. I don't know anyone who has bought an apartment in the Four Seasons, nor anyone who would want to.

In any event, it's an irrelevant consideration, who's buying the apartments. The difference between Toronto and the situation in the US is that the bulk of the apartments are sold before the building is begun. In the US examples above, the buildings were built on spec. The developer took the risk and lost. Boo. Hoo.

No no no, there is no difference between Toronto and the States...whatever applies to New York or Miami applies here.

No no no, there is no difference between Toronto and the States...whatever applies to New York or Miami applies here.

I'm not suggesting that a correction of the same magnitude will occur here, ie 30% discount to initial sales prices.

I am suggesting that the trends are quite similar, particularly in higher end projects, and if you bothered to read the article you'd realize that many pre-construction buyers are walking away from their deposits because the market has tanked. That same trend could easily emerge here when the thousands of specuvestor suites are completed.

No doubt the U.S. is under going a full blown housing crash, which many analysts now say it is looking worse than the late 80's-early 90's, and may take their economy (and possibly our economy) into recession.

Sure "Specuvestors" exist in Toronto as well as the markets hit hardest in the US (California, Arizona, South Florida, Vegas in particular), but Specuvestors did not bring down the US housing market. Cheap money, poor lending practices, and fraud/manipulative lenders did. None of these three things exist in Toronto.

Take away all the stories of specuvestors in the US walking away from their deposits, and you still have more stories of families who were led to believe that they could afford half million dollar homes on more or less minimum wage salaries. There was nothing stopping these people from buying homes.

A large portion of buyers were not landlords or specuvestors, but people who bought to actually be home owners, but should have never owned homes in the first place. These type of buyers don't exist in Toronto.

While I certainly agree there is a specuvestor population in Toronto, I won't even question the numbers because I don't know, but by no means can we look at Miami, Vegas and say the dynamics are exactly the same.

We are in a country that is the only G8 nation to currently record 10 straight budget surpluses, and there is surplus of "money" in the economy that is being invested. Are specuvestors behind our big boom in office building creation? The likes of which hasn't been in this city for decades?

However, I do happen to think that Canadian housing market will fall spefically with-in the next 1-2 years, but not because of specuvestors, but moreso because of our dependence and volatility towards the US economy.

Beac,

You need to make the distinction between the broad based subprime meltdown and the condo crash. While the condo crash in part was driven by the cheap and easy credit, the buyers in places like miami and las vegas were specuvestors, just like the buyers in much of toronto. No one is going to convince me that the 25,000 households created in Toronto in the past year (60,000 people, not 100,000) 18,000 bought condos. It just didn't happen.

What did happen was massive, massive, specuvestor buying by individual investors from toronto/canada, huge, huge, foreign specuvestor syndicates soaking up demand for so much of these new units. Once complete, the buyers will similarly need to find mortgages for these units and the lenders will be just as cautious here as they've become in the south. I agree that the magnitude of easy lending is not as dramatic here, but this kind of buying is a subset of traditional mortgage lending. This isn't joe and mary buying their first house with a CMHC insured 95% mortgage. This is risky lending to people merely speculating their assets will increase and who in each and every instance do not have nearly enough income from their units to service a mortgage. In the past lenders were probably more sanguine about this trend, but you can bet that situation changed in August.

Building/housing stocks moving up today!

BHS, BZH, BLDR, BLG, BXP, CORS=all green:) I knew that shortly after the mainstream press got all hysterical about housing crash that the markets would have the crash priced in and take off set to begin: well at least a bounce is due. Have fun making green from BZH, BLG, BLDR, CORS=all priced in the $10 range and all easy 10-50% gainers....

In the meantime, bank stocks I expect to lag the trend and thus thinking puts might be an option (bad pun eh?)

Vultur/condocrash2008 character (and I:)) are having a big laugh now:

2006_1_10tolife.jpg

;)

BHS, BZH, BLDR, BLG, BXP, CORS=all green:) I knew that shortly after the mainstream press got all hysterical about housing crash that the markets would have the crash priced in and take off set to begin: well at least a bounce is due. Have fun making green from BZH, BLG, BLDR, CORS=all priced in the $10 range and all easy 10-50% gainers....

You must have been laughing at your prescience regarding your stock picks (posted Oct. 22/07) as well.

Today, March 18, 2009:

BHS -$3.58 vs. Oct. 26/07 - $16.34,
BZH -$0.92 vs. Oct. 26/07 - $12.00
BLDR-$2.08 vs. Oct. 26/07 - $8.93
BLG - couldn't find, has it died or been delisted?
BXP - $41.25 vs. Oct.26/07 - $104.06

and finally, the piece de resistance...

CORS-$0.16 vs. Oct.26/07 - $11.25

None of the above had any sort of bounce.

I guess if you make enough predictions, some of them are likely to come true.

Back