News   Apr 30, 2024
 22     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 843     0 

88 On Broadway Condos (Cityzen, Myriad Group, Westdale Properties) - Real Estate -

teridactyl

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post. Apparently questions on projects and builders don't belong in the Projects & Construction section so I'm re-posting here as instructed.

Does anyone have any info on 88 on Broadway, or the co-developers, Cityzen Corporation and The Myriad Group? What I'm looking for is information from anyone who has purchased a unit in 88 on Broadway or any other project by Cityzen Corporation or The Myriad Group. I'd like to know if people are generally happy with them, or if there are any issues I should know about.

I hope you get some responses, I'd like to hear from owners too. I drove by yesterday and it looks like the top two or three floors still waiting to be glassed in. Occupation expected by when, late in the year I guess? BTW welcome to the board, don't let the snotty attitude of some posters here put you off.

Rick

88 On Broadway Future Resident

Hi Teridactyl:

I purchased a unit at 88 on Broadway, almost 3 years ago!! Are you looking in to purchasing a unit here?

I have been generally pleased with Cityzen/Myriad so far, though the kitchen/interior finishes selection could have run smoother.

Hi Teridactyl:

I purchased a unit at 88 on Broadway, almost 3 years ago!! Are you looking in to purchasing a unit here?

I have been generally pleased with Cityzen/Myriad so far, though the kitchen/interior finishes selection could have run smoother.

Hi Arkitect,

I was interested in your comments about kitchen/interior finishes.
I have an appt. to go in and choose finishings and colours in a few weeks at another project by the same builder. I am a little aprehensive about the process because I will be requiring a fair amount of modifications. I would be very interested in hearing about your situation before I go in there. Send me a private message if you wish.

Interior Finishes Selection

Hi Granny:

I see you have purchased at London on the Esplanade, very nice, I love that area!!! Have a fun time selecting your interior finishes; it was the most redeeming part of the purchasing-a-condo experience for me.

From my personal experience, I thought that the interior selection process could have been integrated into one event. If you are going with standard finishes, you have nothing to worry about.

We had specific upgrades in mind so we had 3 separate meetings: one to select appliances in Vaughan; another to select kitchen cabinets in Richmond Hill and a final meeting at the design centre to select the remaining interior finishes (flooring, upgrades to bathrooms, etc). When you're working from a budget, it would have been nice to have all these events integrated from both a design and budget point of view from the start. It's like selecting and paying for drapes before buying furniture and the house.

That said, we did take an active role in communicating with everyone to ensure our decisions were not completely blind.

Your experience may be different. Good luck and have fun!!:):)

Hi Granny:

I see you have purchased at London on the Esplanade, very nice, I love that area!!! Have a fun time selecting your interior finishes; it was the most redeeming part of the purchasing-a-condo experience for me.

From my personal experience, I thought that the interior selection process could have been integrated into one event. If you are going with standard finishes, you have nothing to worry about.

We had specific upgrades in mind so we had 3 separate meetings: one to select appliances in Vaughan; another to select kitchen cabinets in Richmond Hill and a final meeting at the design centre to select the remaining interior finishes (flooring, upgrades to bathrooms, etc). When you're working from a budget, it would have been nice to have all these events integrated from both a design and budget point of view from the start. It's like selecting and paying for drapes before buying furniture and the house.

That said, we did take an active role in communicating with everyone to ensure our decisions were not completely blind.

Your experience may be different. Good luck and have fun!!:):)

Thank's Arkiitect!
Sounds like we may be in for a few car rides, but we will be prepared for it.
We are planning to to do much of the same things you did as far as upgrades go and we are not prepared to compromise ..or get ripped off. I'll let you know how it goes.

I was looking at the Toronto Star Condo magazine today and I noticed a small ad for 88 Broadway, it says prices start at $168,000. (565 Sq. ft.). Is this builder reputable? that price seems very low for the area.

Why is it so cheap? 900 Mt. Pleasant starts at $258,000 - $90,000 more for a similar size and that is just down the street.

The ad in the June condolife magazine (p117) has the developer as Westdale Properties. The 88 on Broadway website still has Cityzen Corp and Myriad Group as co-developers. The Westdale web site makes no mention of the project.

What's the story here, has the project changed hands?

88 on Broadway

I believe that Cityzen, Myriad and Westdale properties are all co-developers for this project. And yes, they are reputable developers having a combined portfolio that includes London on the Esplanade, the Absolute "Marilyn Monroe" building in Mississauga, Daniel Liebskinds "L" Tower, and Pier 27.

There were 3 existing rental apartment buildings that were torn down for this project. And I believe that when residential buildings are torn down (as opposed to infill of empty space), a certain percentage of units must be reserved as rentals- correct me if I am wrong about this. Within the 88 on Broadway building, there is a completely separate small building attached to it on the north side that are rentals- Anyhow, it has it's own separate address and entrance on Redpath. We share only the underground parking lot- all amenities are exclusive use of 88 Broadway only.

The 3 previous buildings were probably Westdale properties and they will most likely manage the Redpath rentals as well.

That being said, there are no available units in the $168 000 price range. When I bought 3 years ago, the cheapest units were snatched up during the "friends and family" pre-sale. When I purchased on the second round/day of pre-sales (the "Agent's Preview" sale) nothing was cheaper than $200,000 and half the building was already sold!!!

I last read that there were only 2 units left, and nothing under $300,000. You'll have to call the sales office to confirm what stock is available. Happy hunting!!!

The ad in the June condolife magazine (p117) has the developer as Westdale Properties. The 88 on Broadway website still has Cityzen Corp and Myriad Group as co-developers. The Westdale web site makes no mention of the project.

What's the story here, has the project changed hands?
Westdale is actually doing the construction and Cityzen is still a co-developer. I purchased one of the last two units (my original post was during my 10 day cooling off period) so I've been dealing with Westdale a bit.

I bought too late to choose my own finishes, so I can't comment on that process, but I did end up with some nice upgrades free of charge.

Congrads to purchasing @ 88 Broadway ... IMO I think this is a nice building with nice layouts and good standard finishes (finishes seems to be decent with Cityzen projects, please correct me if I'm wrong)

Given there were 3 rental buildings which were torn down to make way for this development, City of Toronto requires all rental units be replaced, and in this case the builder constructed an extension on the north edge of the building for replacement rental units with a separate lobby and no internal connections to the condominium. I was amused by the architect's application in carrying the same elevation design across the two buildings components seamlessly to create the facade of one continous building (as shown below)... very well intergrated ~

88home.jpg

My date was originally July 28th, but was changed to September 30th. Hopefully, that's the last delay. I'm on a lower floor so I can see into my unit a little bit, and it doesn't look like there's been much change over the last month. Then again, it doesn't look like it would be impossible to finish in 6 weeks either.

Occupancy at 88, SOON!!

Occupancy should be soon. I just received a letter by the property management of a "move in" information session for all the residents of 88.

Does anybody know what usually happens at this type of pre move-in meeting? Are there items I should prepare prior to this session? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, does anybody have feedback/past experience with Simerra Property Management Inc? Thanks.

Teridactyl:

Hello neighbour!! Congrats on your purchase and the free upgrades:) You had mentioned there was 1 unit left, do you remember which unit it was and the approximate price?

arkiitect, I just got my letter too. I've never bought new construction or lived in a condo before, so I have no idea what to expect. I'm looking forward to having a lot of quesitons answered.

Sorry, I have no idea what the other unit was and how much it was going for. All I know is it wasn't a 2+den, which is what I required.

Back