Toronto 470 Sentinel | 128.15m | 40s | Ranee Management | Kirkor

Very interesting -- a MAJOR infill project here, not far from where the new subway line will go, particularly the stop at Keele & Finch and right on the upcoming Finch LRT. It looks like it'll include seniors units, ground-floor retail, a number of mid-rise towers and even some townhouses. And the report suggests that most of the new buildings will go on space that is currently surface-level parking.

I gather that there was some serious resistance from current residents of the area -- but the report suggests that the consultation process after that has been effective. Does anybody have any other sources of info?

I see that there's a whole whack of Section 37 goodies, including:
- a recreation centre (w/ swimming pool) for the use of residents of the current rental buildings on the property
- $700,000 towards a public artificial ice-rink in a nearby par
- the construction of a non-profit child-care centre that will belong to the city for 99 years
- a $250,000 public art component
- and a significant contribution (up to $1 million) to public housing

And also some other significant requirements, including $5million in improvements to the current rental buildings on the property AND the guarantee that those buildings will remain low and medium-rent buildings for the next 25 years and will not be torn down and turned into condos.

The interesting thing, from the plan, is that even with all of this additional development, there's still a HUGE amount of empty space on the site (this was part of what the current residents wanted) and that in the end, the area isn't all that more "urban" when it's done -- in terms of buildings fronting on the street creating interesting streetscapes, etc. The extension of Fountainhead Road from its current dead-end down to Finch will provide an additional point of access, and possibly some through traffic, but I"m not sure the whole design will increase eyes-on-the-street in the Jane-Jacobs sense. (Once again, I gather that the previous version had more street-fronting buildings, but that current residents weren't in favour of that...)

See below for a link to a map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sour...=6ive_jBZ2YmLgxqWmD5MnQ&cbp=12,170.64,,0,0.39

Thoughts?

- J.

As is so disappointingly common, this is doesn't go far enough. If we want to create the same kind of logical, walkable environment as exists in the pre-war parts of the city, new buildings need to be fronting the streets, with retail. This kind of reluctant urbanism is half-assed at best and needs to be discouraged.

In my opinion this is absolutely wonderful and represents what we will be seeing more of over the coming years as the ubiquitous "towers in the park" are updated with this infill.

SOLD to "Double Z Investments"

All properties that Double Z own, were purchased within the last 5 years.

All of their buildings are managed by MetCap -- I doubt Double Z is MetCap though.

Sorry to revive this old thread but wondering what happened to this promising project. Is it put it ice? Wondering why the sold it in the first place as well. Would be nice if anyone has anything to add to th discussion.

Description updated:

Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment application to facilitate the redevelopment of the site for four mixed-use and residential apartment buildings and a recreation centre having heights of 40 storeys (125.5 metres), 36 storeys (112.85 metres), 30 storeys (95.45 metres), 14 storeys (47.65 metres) and 2 storeys (11.9 metres). The proposal will total approximately 127,452.14 square metres of residential gross floor area, 1,050.13 square metres of retail gross floor area and include 1,720 dwelling units. The four existing 22-storey apartment buildings currently on the subject site will be retained.

docs are up!
1643131932946.png

From what I can tell only the building at the corner of finch and sentinel will have retail space. Wouldve been nice to incorporate it into the other buildings along finch and along sentinel as well.

The previous development plans had included significant improvements to the existing buildings but I don't see anything mentioned here. Hopefully that will happen as well.

From what I can tell only the building at the corner of finch and sentinel will have retail space. Wouldve been nice to incorporate it into the other buildings along finch and along sentinel as well.

The previous development plans had included significant improvements to the existing buildings but I don't see anything mentioned here. Hopefully that will happen as well.

A quick glance shows the nearest 'major' supermarkets are beyond 15M walking distance at 1.3km (but that includes a material hill as one traverses Black Creek); and 1.9km heading down Keele.

There is a small community supermarket up on Four Winds, but with this kind of density, a full-service supermarket would seem like a no-brainer.

Ideally, I'd like to see it on Finch.

Everyone here knows I'm sympathetic to preserving trees and appreciate parks, but I'm not sold on the 3 relatively small parks, whose main purpose appears to be preserving trees; while there is a moderately large park is right across the street, but poorly configured and under-invested.

I think we wanted to go the tree preservation route, a single, larger park directly abutting the valley lands, with an above-grade nature trail would make sense.

Alternatively, in whole, or in part...........

A strategic expansion of Fountainhead Park would make sense to me:

1643161882603.png

Looking at the section of the park above, look at the relatively narrow opening to the community to the north, and also the irregular shape that diminishes the opportunity for a more fully-programmed/landscaped space.

Obviously, any expansion here would displace some residents, but perhaps they could be displaced into new units in this development. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Back