News   Apr 26, 2024
 830     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 254     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 750     0 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

"Although GARA is in full support of enhancing GO Transit service for commuters, it does not support a solution which would increase the frequency of freight train traffic in our area."

Basically the same BS as the Davenport folks. "I don't support transit in my neighbourhood, but I fully support transit."

I don't think that is what they are saying at all.....I think they are saying "We fully support transit, but not additional freight trains in our neighbourhood".

I bet you if there were 5 different routes we could funnel more freight traffic on, the number of areas that would raise their hands saying "we'll take more freight trains" would number 0.........this is predictable...no?

Recent article in a local Mississauga paper:

Federal finance minister Morneau and Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie meet to discuss infrastructure funding

By Roger Belgrave

Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie and Federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau were all smiles after meeting Friday morning to discuss local infrastructure projects the municipality wants Ottawa to support financially.

There were no federal promises made or cheques written, but the press conference held for media cameras and reporters under the skylight of the Mississauga Civic Centre’s Great Hall certainly left the impression these are sunny days in the relationship between Ottawa and Mississauga.

The inaugural budget of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government included $120 billion in infrastructure spending over the next 10 years.

Crombie, a former Liberal MP, had nothing but praise for the historic level of federal government infrastructure commitment and called the plan a “bold” strategy to grow the nation’s prosperity.

She expects Mississauga would be in line to get a sizable share of that money, including a portion of the $1.5 billion coming to Ontario under the new Public Transit Infrastructure Fund.

Prior to delivery of the budget last March, Mississauga made a pre-budget submission to Canada’s finance department.

In that submission, Mississauga encouraged federal backing for the Hurontario LRT, a downtown Mississauga Transitway, all-day two-way GO Train service on the Milton and Kitchener lines and establishing a heavy freight bypass rail line adjacent to Hwy. 407.

The LRT, transitway and all-day GO service have been local priorities for some time now. But the proposed bypass rail line for heavy freight, dubbed the Missing Link, was of particular emphasis during discussions Friday.

“A project of this magnitude also has national and international implications,” Crombie remarked. “This line is critical to Canada’s economy. It is the continental gateway allowing for the movement of large amounts of goods to and from the Central Canadian markets.”

All levels of government should partner together to make a project of this magnitude and economic importance a reality, she added.

Economic success for Mississauga, the nation’s sixth largest city and third largest in Ontario, puts the country in a better position to grow and prosper, Crombie said.

Hearing what initiatives are important to Mississauga is helpful in developing a federal innovation plan, said Morneau, who considers the city an economic engine for the country.

Morneau and Mississauga-Malton MP Navdeep Bains, who is also the Innovation, Science and Economic Development minister, met with Crombie for a discussion that was followed by another 45-minute meeting involving other council members, senior city staff and some local MPs, according to the mayor’s staff.

Crombie thanked Morneau “for making Mississauga a priority” and one of his first post-budget stops.

This Link has so much political potential, and I'm glad to see it's getting some attention. Being able to run RER service through both Brampton and Mississauga without making major upgrades to the Kitchener and Milton corridors should be a big selling point.

This Link has so much political potential, and I'm glad to see it's getting some attention. Being able to run RER service through both Brampton and Mississauga without making major upgrades to the Kitchener and Milton corridors should be a big selling point.
that and the fact that freight rail is a federal responsibility makes it a very obvious GTHA project for federal infrastructure funds

Recent article in a local Mississauga paper:
But the proposed bypass rail line for heavy freight, dubbed the Missing Link, was of particular emphasis during discussions Friday.
That is really good news!

The Link allows many new possibilities for passenger rail in the GTA. One not often mentioned is the Crosstown Route, and Summerhill coming to life again. That has implications for new service east and west.

Assuming fed funding succeeds and we see a sustained push between now and 2022-ish (studies, approvals, negotiations, funding)... Does this modify drum118's pessimistic assessment of the Bypass?

In Metrolinx electrification documents, for other routes, freight routes that cease to be freight mainlines, can still service freight customers at night. So the Bypass would only need to divert daytime through freight traffic onto the Bypass. It is a mammoth ask for CN and CP, one of the biggest ever, but they can get away with a lot more and save costs, while still servicing customers on legacy routes, perhaps -- if necessary -- even transferred to a shorter (and even CBTC-controlled) electrified/dualmode freight locomotive for nighttime freight customer service. It has been done elsewhere, Europe included.

The now-probably-pending Transport Canada new
rules changes (triggered by over $20bn of electrified rail initiatives TOM-wide) may cover this umbrella too.

I'd like to see the Bypass happen within my lifetime, as well.

Last edited:
Assuming fed funding succeeds and we see a sustained push between now and 2022-ish (studies, approvals, negotiatins, funding)... Does this modify drum118's pessimistic assessment of the Bypass?

No

Assuming fed funding succeeds and we see a sustained push between now and 2022-ish (studies, approvals, negotiatins, funding)... Does this modify drum118's pessimistic assessment of the Bypass?

I've been digging to see what other news sources refer to this, found only one and it's the Mississauga official release this story was based on. Until I see that "particular emphasis" repeated elsewhere...I'm quietly skeptical, but hopeful.

It makes incredible sense if we are to believe that same source of funds is looking to invest on other GTA rail infrastructure. It also makes perfect sense if the VIA dedicated track is run along the O&Q (Peterborough) alignment.

I've just used Google Earth to look at the alignment for the link, and a lot of the potential RoW is virtually empty. It almost looks like someone had the sense to leave a corridor open for it. Even CP's Agincourt Yard is critically situated to access it.

Fingers crossed tight on this one.

I've just used Google Earth to look at the alignment for the link, and a lot of the potential RoW is virtually empty. It almost looks like someone had the sense to leave a corridor open for it. Even CP's Agincourt Yard is critically situated to access it.
Caveat, one thing that does not show well on Google Earth is the Hydro lines.

Much land for the 407 expansion land touches the border of the Hydro owned land. But there is disgustingly plenty (Enough to make 407 as wide as 401). and you would need a tiny sliver from either or both parties in various sections. It eliminates a little bit of expansion room for either or both of them so it is a huge ask, but given sufficient funds can solve that -- with a total project cost hopefully similar or less than doubling the tracks of both Brampton and Milton -- and far less expropriation.

A trenchwalled 2 or 3 track corridor would use very little land, contain theoretical derailments, and easily go underneath the interchanges/ramps. And with good grade engineering (no runaway trains) plus mondoo buffer zones (407 to north, hydro to south) potentially a mitigatable NIMBY factor compared to many alternatives. There would be more NIMBY with increased trains on some connecting treight tracks beyond (many bones can be thrown to improve support, more taller and better noisewalls, trenchwalls, etc) but, what of a Brampton+Milton active width doubling, more expropriation, and massive traffic increase combined? So it seems a pick-a-NIMBY battle...

Lots of obstacles, but cannot give up this big potential!

Whether 15 years or 50+ years.

Despite drum118's pessimism, he did concede it could happen eventually in humankind (just not within our lifetime). Even he agrees it could happen, just not necessarily the same era as Mississauga wants.

Last edited:
Caveat, one thing that does not show well on Google Earth is the Hydro lines.
Interestingly, I delved on the statutes that Hydro One must operate under as they were running roughshod with their 'slash and burn' clearing of their RoW's through various jurisdictions, at that time, to the west of the GTA (Burlington, Halton Hills, Guelph, etc) and they were being real thugs about it. Details supplied if need be, but Googling will show the same story repeated endlessly.

One of the stipulations for an 'electrical transmission RoW' is that it (gist) *must be available for other uses if they don't conflict with safety*. And you'll note many times seeing them used for rail spurs and alignments. Some, like the one that parallels the the 407 down to the 403 from the CP Main in Mississauga is on Hydro land and ends at the transformer station at the 407/403 cloverleaf.

Beyond which, hydro is provincial, CP and CN are federally regulated. Guess who has the higher hand?

In Canada's decentralized federal system, I am not sure there is as clear-cut an answer as we want.

It's going to be a hell of a fight to get province, feds, CP/CN and Hydro all on board.
I don't think so. The magic grease is funding and win/win/win for all concerned. CP and CN have already set precedents in sharing track.
Hydro One's transmission corridors or ROWs are essential in delivering safe, reliable and affordable electricity throughout the province. They allow Hydro One 24/7 access to the towers and lines for routine maintenance and in emergency situations. Many ROWs also have sufficient space to provide for expansion of Hydro One's facilities to accommodate future growth. The ownership of ROWs is diverse and includes government, Hydro One, private property owners, railway companies, and First Nations and Métis communities.

The Ontario government has put in place a Provincial Secondary Land Use Program (PSLUP) that allows for the use of ROWS, while taking into account the primary purpose of these lands is for electricity transmission and distribution. [...]
http://www.hydroone.com/secondarylanduse/pages/default.aspx

That's Hydro One's webpage, the pertaining Acts are much more definitive. It's not a case of 'may', it's a case of 'must'.

The only fly in the ointment will be community groups, but they certainly haven't stopped the 400 series highways from going past their backyards, have they?

Edit to Add:
Operational Land Sale - is a sale of the Hydro Transmission Corridor land for infrastructure purposes to municipalities or other municipal and/or provincial agencies where Hydro One Networks Inc. retains a statutory easement on the property for the transmission of power.
http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Templates/Lands.aspx?id=2147484018&langtype=1033

Here are some of the noted uses:
Transit - includes corridor crossings for public buses, streetcars, subways and commuter rail lines
On June 27, 2002, the Ontario government passed the Reliable Energy and Consumer Protection Act.
The Act, among other things, transferred ownership of approximately 50,000 acres of transmission corridor lands previously owned by Hydro One to the Ontario government. This transfer ensures that these transmission corridor lands continue to be available for uses that benefit the public, such as infrastructure, transportation and recreation.[...]
http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Templates/Lands.aspx?id=2147484015&langtype=1033

Now bear in mind the Feds under Acts and Statutes can move without deference to provincial acts in the case of amongst other things: railways. It's one of the backbone powers of the nation under the Confederation Act. In the event, the province would be so delighted to see movement on this issue it won't be necessary. The Feds and Ontario will act in concert. If only it were always so...

There are other Acts that pertain, but I think the point is made.

Last edited:
There are too many places where money can be used first to rebuild badly needed infrastructure than putting it into this project today.

This will not be an Ontario EA Study that can be done in a short times these days, but a Canada EA that is longer and deal with things different than Ontario.

You just can't do an EA for this section as a stand alone, but needs to cover Milton to east end of Toronto where CP & CN will join. It will be broken down into sections, but at the end of the day, all part must fit, otherwise you are asking for trouble. What good is it when various section need more work in scope than others only to find you need to revisited a section to deal with a problem in another section after it has been approve??

At the same time, you need CN & CP at the table to deal with their issues how they will operate on joint tracks to the point a 3rd track will be needed from day one with a possible 4th track at various locations or the full section. Unless both parties are in agreement to a joint line, the idea is DOA and the Feds can't force it on them without picking the full cost for doing it that will see 4 tracks corridor.

Some sections of CN Corridor can handle 4 tracks, while the rest can deal with 3 with no problems. Unless existing CN bridges have been built for 3 tracks, let alone 4, new bridges will have to be built for this 3rd or 4th track. I can't speak for all the overpasses over CN tracks, most will support 3 tracks and sure a number will have to be rebuilt for a 4th track.

It also comes down to money and who paying for it. Again what good having money for one section and not another that will cause a bottleneck on the line??

You got to deal with bridges over river and roads with the Credit River being number one. You got to deal with oil and gas lines coming from the west to the east. Dealing with Hydro One could be a deal killer regardless what UT member have said and shown what could be done for the corridor. It comes down to cost and how to deal with maintaining the lines under normal use, but what if a line fails for what every reason, how do you deal with the problem?

You would be very lucky to see an EA before 2020, as its not a straight forward in writing one like this. You are dealing with a wide area as well many players with many different views and issues.

Until you have a final approve EA/route, you can't do door knocking about buying land for the corridor from the existing landowners. Exportation maybe the route to go if owners not willing to sell, but it takes time to deal with it at the end of the day regardless which route is taken. You could go out and buy X land that is known from day one being needed where both lines join as well how it will connect to the existing lines before the EA starts.

You need to have construction taking place at at both ends of the "FULL" route to build this new corridor as well the bottleneck points at the same time, since both ends go hand in hand in the first place.

The feasibility study for the Missing Link has shown that the capital costs (vs. upgrades on Kitchener and Milton lines without it) are comparable. There are added benefits that were not monetized, including decreased operating mileage for CN, reduced GO delays, decreased noise levels and derailment risk for adjacent neighbourhoods, and an overall improvement of the transit network in Peel and Halton regions.

With that in mind, plus what we have seen in Ottawa so far, I have faith that we have a federal government that can choose between what is right and what is easy. I think they will have the ability to bring together the province, Hydro One, CN/CP and other stakeholders and make a collaborative deal.

I respectfully disagree with your pessimism drum, and counterbalance with hopeless optimism.

I was just reading up on the National Capital Commission doing similar for Ottawa. Other than reference to freight yards being relocated outside the core, I've yet to find a really good overview to link here, but it was done, and the results are highly beneficial. Precedents exist. I've also downloaded the
Committee of the Whole Transportation Services January 14, 2016 report and studied it, but it is just preliminary at this point:
It is recommended that:
1. Council formally request Metrolinx to undertake consultation with York
Region and the Cities of Markham and Vaughan before proceeding with
additional detailed studies relating to the rerouting of a freight rail
proposal.
If there's a more comprehensive report, I've yet to find it.

There's very little response from the Federal end, albeit I agree with every point you (Don Valley) make in terms of costs and do-ability. However, as much as I think this would be a very positive project for many reasons, it needs far more study and comment/commitment from higher levels of government. Given the right factors, I think CP and CN will agree to doing this, it would greatly streamline their operations.

What is interesting is the reference to "Metrolinx" in that paragraph I quoted.

Edit to Add: Best I clarify: "Recommendation" above from York Region.

Here's from the other regions collectively:
Therefore it is our conclusion that the Missing Link should be investigated in more detail with
Metrolinx, CN, CP and senior levels of government

Interesting points made here:
“This initiative is a result of the collaboration between Milton and nearby municipalities to achieve our common goal of expanding GO service in our growing communities within the next 10 years,” said Mayor Gord Krantz.

But local and regional councillor Mike Cluett stressed the $5.3 billion required to bring this proposal to reality is discouraging.

“I’d love to see where this $5.3 billion is going to come from,” he said, acknowledging it would have to be a joint effort between all levels of government and the two rail companies, CN and CP.

Comparatively, the current Metrolinx plan to widen the Milton and Kitchener GO transit routes to accommodate increased ridership would cost roughly the same — $5 billion — but would have fewer benefits.

According to Paul Cripps, director of engineering services for the town, these benefits include faster movement of freight traffic, removal of hazardous goods from densely populated areas in the GTHA, future electrification of the lines, as well as the potential for light rail in the future.

The price tag includes $526 million to make the new rail connections between the CN and CP lines, which, for freight traffic, would be located south of Woodbridge and in the east near the Scarborough/Pickering boundary. The missing link rail line, located mostly within the Parkway Belt adjacent to Hwy. 407, would also require many bridges and new connections.

Widening certain sections of York, Halton and Galt subdivisions account for close to $3 billion, the missing link line is estimated to cost close to $2 billion and the 89 hectares of property needed to make it all possible could run anywhere from $86 to $173 million.

“And there’s only one taxpayer. It’s me and you. We’re all in this together, including yours truly,” said Krantz.

A Metrolinx representative told the Champion they are in the process of reviewing the report and it was too premature to comment, adding the agency continuously explores opportunities with both CP and CN to introduce more transit service.

Neither rail company provided comment, but in a previous interview, a CP representative stated the company was eager to explore opportunities with the aforementioned parties.
http://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...ncements-in-milton-come-with-hefty-price-tag/

Last edited:

Back