News   May 01, 2024
 314     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 353     0 

2022 Transportation Master Plan (TMP) - York Region

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
PIC coming up on April 21st. Registration here: https://www.york.ca/york-region/plans-reports-and-strategies/transportation-master-plan

Proposed 2051 Rapid Transit Network - Map 3

1649949507392.png

1649949534288.png
1649949579712.png

Those TYSSE extensions are, uh, optimistic.

A fast, frequent and traffic protected BRT network would be much more useful for YR.

I was just going to say; I haven't read any of their plan yet but I'm betting bus service on most routes will still be every 45 minutes........ LOL

Last edited:
This map struck me as interesting:

1649950728203.png

1649950754924.png

Just for realism, I ignored the part about Keswick, like always happens in real life. LOL

The planned Langstaff link over the CN yard is a very interesting (and expensive) project which would completely change how traffic is distributed in Vaughan.. would take a ton of pressure off of 7 through VMC, particularly in terms of truck traffic.

I'm almost surprised to not see Green Lane identified for widening, my understanding is that it's already a very busy road and will see a lot of growth along it in the coming decades.

Agreed on BRT being the better option for YR for now, but I could *maybe* see an extension to Major Mack in Vaughan if it could be elevated to keep costs down. Jane certainly has the space for it.

Isn't the idea of extending Line 1 on Yonge to Major Mack completely dead by what they are doing with the current extension to High Tech? It is basically settled that any further extension of Line 1 will be in the GO corridor, not along Yonge. If Line 1 goes back to Yonge the whole exercise of tunneling under Thornhill is pointless.

Such an extension would be surface and relatively inexpensive. I'm not really clear on the value it would provide though... you might get an intermediate stop at 16th Ave?

Isn't the idea of extending Line 1 on Yonge to Major Mack completely dead by what they are doing with the current extension to High Tech? It is basically settled that any further extension of Line 1 will be in the GO corridor, not along Yonge. If Line 1 goes back to Yonge the whole exercise of tunneling under Thornhill is pointless.

Such an extension would be surface and relatively inexpensive. I'm not really clear on the value it would provide though... you might get an intermediate stop at 16th Ave?
Well remember that this is YRT's wishlist. Whatever alignment is chosen at the end is purely at the whims of Metrolinx (unless YRT can somehow find the money to build the extension under Yonge themselves).

I mean, it's odd that they don't even draw the Line 1 Extension as it is planned, with the dogleg over to Bridge Station.

It's great that they have a wishlist, but that Line 1 extension doesn't really pass the sniff test. Anyone can crayon--this is supposed to be a real plan.

This is only my imagination.
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 1.29.47 PM.png

The points are not bus stops.

Introducing Local VIVA Purple, where local bus will merge into/branch out of VIVA Purple rapidway (Kennedy to Bathurst) to provide more 1-seat-ride.

All travel b/w Vaughan Mills Terminal and Cornell Bus Terminal.

Each Branch can have "EXACTLY" 30 mins frequency. The core will have around 5-6 mins frequency.

The planned Langstaff link over the CN yard is a very interesting (and expensive) project which would completely change how traffic is distributed in Vaughan.. would take a ton of pressure off of 7 through VMC, particularly in terms of truck traffic.

I'm almost surprised to not see Green Lane identified for widening, my understanding is that it's already a very busy road and will see a lot of growth along it in the coming decades.

Agreed on BRT being the better option for YR for now, but I could *maybe* see an extension to Major Mack in Vaughan if it could be elevated to keep costs down. Jane certainly has the space for it.
The Jan 2022 cost estimate is on Page 77 here: https://www.york.ca/sites/default/f...d Class EA ESR_January 2022 PART 4 - AODA.pdf

I wouldn't say $300M is too expensive considering what we spend on other projects nowadays. They could make it even cheaper by not having sidewalks as I don't see why any pedestrian would need to walk here but I guess that sort of thinking doesn't fly nowadays.

Back