News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

2018 Toronto Mayoral Election Transit Promises

Her planned "vision" seriously underwhelms and again shortchanges the suburbs where the most people actually live. A left-wing populist? Does such a thing even exist? To draw comparisons, we've seen what happened to Bernie down south.

How does this vision shortchange the suburbs? If anything, the projects are still skewed to benefit the suburbs..even the relief line primarily benefits the suburbs, particularly around North York & Scarborough near the DVP, and the Yonge line's capacity north of Bloor.

How does this vision shortchange the suburbs? If anything, the projects are still skewed to benefit the suburbs..even the relief line primarily benefits the suburbs, particularly around North York & Scarborough near the DVP, and the Yonge line's capacity north of Bloor.

Needs more subways subways subways to Scarborough. Not enough Respect for Scarborough.

Because it's different. And obviously not council-approved (or council approved). Look at the Malvern connection for example, and some of the BRT stuff.

JK's plan isn't identical to JT's plan or any council plan. However, it is sufficiently similar in the main components, and differs only in details that a) definitely closer to the end of implementation queue, and b) even if/when actually built, will cost much less than the main components.

And IMO, that's a good thing; it shows that a broad consensus is reached (notwithstanding continuous fighting in blogs) on the necessary further steps in our transit expansion.

A rare situation when both leading candidates, JT and JK, are acceptable.

Who will actually win? Time will tell, but normally the incumbent has a big advantage in such cases ..

Who will actually win? Time will tell, but normally the incumbent has a big advantage in such cases ..
I'd be surprised if Tory loses - he's right-wing, but not on the crazy side, to the point that he can still listen to reason, and to a half-reasonable job.

Tory will have to really screw things up to lose this ... mind you, he does have that history in every political battle he fought before 2014. But I suspect he's pretty safe. And I say that as someone who didn't vote for him last time, so even less likely this time, with no one like Ford opposing and a strong centrist opponent, rather than one on the left.

^ Tory is timid and not particularly fast, but he slowly moves in the proper direction most of the time.

Given that he didn't screw things up in the last 3 years 9 months, it will be really hard for him to achieve that in the remaining few weeks before the election day.

PS: Tory should be credited for the improved Express Bus network. Not a big item, costs peanuts compared to other projects in the pipeline, but does make life easier for quite a few of the riders.

Regarding the King Pilot, I do believe Keesmaat that it was mostly her and her department's project, with Tory signing up at the last moment once he calculated he won't take a hit.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what a conservative or liberal or centrist really is in municipal politics.
Especially given that these labels are all of convenience anyway.

If Keesmaat ran in 2022 she would have angled herself to inherit the Tory vote. Since she is running in 2018, she has to run to the left of Tory.

I'd think she would end up governing more or less the same way in either scenario.

Especially given that these labels are all of convenience anyway.

If Keesmaat ran in 2022 she would have angled herself to inherit the Tory vote. Since she is running in 2018, she has to run to the left of Tory.

I'd think she would end up governing more or less the same way in either scenario.
Will Tory run in 2022? Maybe with the smaller Council and potentially other changes that Ford will make, it might make the job more appealing and he could run for another term.

If Keesmaat did follow Tory, she could be viewed as a centrist (or at least centre-left) and a logical continuation of the Tory government.
By jumping in now and being branded as the far left candidate, she will likely have to wear that moniker in 2022, and another moderate could step in and be the top candidate.

Or by 2022 after 12 years of conservatives Toronto will be ecstatic for a left mayor. Times change and votes swing.

Will Tory run in 2022? Maybe with the smaller Council and potentially other changes that Ford will make, it might make the job more appealing and he could run for another term.

If Keesmaat did follow Tory, she could be viewed as a centrist (or at least centre-left) and a logical continuation of the Tory government.
By jumping in now and being branded as the far left candidate, she will likely have to wear that moniker in 2022, and another moderate could step in and be the top candidate.

Tory said only two terms. He's taken non stop attacks from both political extremes and being the front line politically correct talking head year round as a multi millionaire with a family I'm sure this abuse takes it toll enough to realize theres no need have to deal with the headaches. I think the job he set out to do will be done.

If Keesmaat gets enough votes to look respectable in this election and doesn't doing anything drastic to hurt her image I wouldnt be shocked to see something like a polarizing battle develop with Keesmaat ( or new Left champion) vs. Mikey Ford for the Mayoral battle in 2022. She has to better understand and be more vocal on inner suburban issues to be considered a City of Toronto "centrist" like Tory. She really doesn't resonate well outside her base yet and plays heavily to Old Toronto issues. But very possible that could change and would be mandatory to make that reach over the fence to resonate if she or any Left candidate wants to make a serious run again. Saying that this election has the potential to hurt the ego as I believe Tory stands a very good chance of winning by a sizable margin.

Last edited:
Tory said only two terms. He's taken non stop attacks from both political extremes and being the front line politically correct talking head year round as a multi millionaire with a family I'm sure this abuse takes it toll enough to realize theres no need have to deal with the headaches. I think the job he set out to do will be done.

If Keesmaat gets enough votes to look respectable in this election and doesn't doing anything drastic to hurt her image I wouldnt be shocked to see something like a polarizing battle develop with Keesmaat ( or new Left champion) vs. Mikey Ford for the Mayoral battle in 2022. She has to better understand and be more vocal on inner suburban issues to be considered a City of Toronto "centrist" like Tory. She really doesn't resonate well outside her base yet and plays heavily to Old Toronto issues. But very possible that could change and would be mandatory to make that reach over the fence to resonate if she or any Left candidate wants to make a serious run again. Saying that this election has the potential to hurt the ego as I believe Tory stands a very good chance of winning by a sizable margin.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just search through that mayoralty elections for the past 50 years and not a single runner up went on to become mayor.
The only exception being John Tory - but he went away for a decade before trying again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just search through that mayoralty elections for the past 50 years and not a single runner up went on to become mayor.
The only exception being John Tory - but he went away for a decade before trying again.

Even needed the perfect storm where enough residents were looking for a moderate to combat the surging Ford(s) and the Left was regurgitating a tired campaign with an unenthusiastic pro Old Toronto leader with no effort to cross over.

Next election will be completely wide open and no reason JK couldn't at least contend. The "time for change", "stopping the gravy train" and "bold ideas" rhetoric previously used to swing the pendulum wont have much effect 8 years of a true moderate. Given we'll likely see another 2, possibly 3 horse race provided by the powers that be I think the race will go to the one who effectively reaches outside their base the most. If JK doesn't get completely blown here theres no reason she wouldn't be fielded back out to contend for the Left and no reason she wont carry a possible 25-35% base to grow upon without Tory straight out of the gate and then shell have some name recognition. Whoever runs for the Left will start off with a fairly equal to win chance should Tory depart.

Last edited:

Back