News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

What is Doug Ford hiding?
Everything he can. Buck a Beer not good enough for you? Look, squirrel!

I look forward to the audit to see what other gems are uncovered.
There's a huge problem there. There's absolutely no "mandate" to release the findings, and no course under FOI. Ironically, if it were done in-house by the A-G or other government departments, it would be liable to FOI.

There's already been two *thorough* audits. Why was it necessary to spend massive amounts on doing one *with hand picked Con appointees* who don't even meet the criteria of independent auditors?

Your claims that mandate letters didn't exist before the Liberals was 100% wrong. And you haven't even attempted to explain why you chose to make such a false claim.

If we can't believe you on basic facts, that you won't retract months later - then presumably your other comments are also very biased.

I'd be quite happy if Doug Ford repeated bit of his campaign book in mandate letters. Because he also forget to release a campaign book!

Here's a newer report, documenting clearly that Mike Harris - that famed Liberal - also issued mandate letters to his ministers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...andate-letters-to-cabinet-ministers-1.4802643
Where did I claim mandate letters didn't exist before the Liberals?

I thought it was quite obvious, within context of the discussion, that "they" in "They were simply press releases by another name. " refers to publicly released Mandate Letters.

News Release

Ford Government Delivers on Promise to Build Regional Transportation
August 31, 2018

Province Appoints Special Advisor
Ontario's Government for the People is working to get residents and business across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area moving with a plan to upload responsibility for subway infrastructure, from the City of Toronto to the Province. The Government of Ontario is determined to deliver a modern transit system that will serve the GTHA's growing communities, drive economic development and alleviate traffic congestion.

Today John Yakabuski, Minister of Transportation, announced the appointment of Michael Lindsay as Special Advisor on the upload of the Toronto subway system. He will work with the province on a plan to efficiently and effectively deliver on this key commitment. Mr. Lindsay, and an advisory panel of up to three experts to be appointed, will support the government in determining the best approach for the upload, including the building and maintenance of new and existing subway lines.

"This is part of our government's plan to improve public transit and bring relief to commuters across the region," said Minister Yakabuski. "Travelling around the GTHA can be difficult and cumbersome. Traffic congestion and a lack of transit infrastructure is costing money, jobs and time. Our government is stepping up and treating the subway like the vital service it is. I welcome our new Special Advisor, Michael Lindsay, and I look forward to working with him on this important initiative."

The Toronto subway system is critical for the economic success of the region. An upload of the subway would help the province to implement a more efficient regional transit system, reduce costs and build transit faster. It could also allow the province to fund and deliver additional transit projects sooner.

Background: Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay has significant expertise in delivering large, complex commercial transactions related to public infrastructure. He has spent more than ten years supporting public and private entities pursuing major infrastructure programs and projects. He will accept no additional remuneration for his service as Special Advisor.

Prior to his appointment, he worked as the Global Director of Infrastructure Planning & Advisory at Hatch and as Senior Vice President of Commercial Projects at Infrastructure Ontario, responsible for structuring public transit projects and modernizing public assets in partnership with the private sector.

Before that, Mr. Lindsay was an Associate Principal with McKinsey & Company, where he was a core leader of the Canadian Public Sector Practice. He helped provincial and federal entities improve service, reduce costs, and analyze how best to deliver programs and projects in partnership with other levels of government.

So if I were to read into this announcement, to me it seems like the province seems intent to move ahead with the Yonge North Extension and is removing the obvious roadblock (City of Toronto) from the equation.

Reactions: DB9
Read the post I made that started the discussion yesterday. It quotes you saying "Mandate letters were a joke and a political exercise. They didn't exist before these Liberals and likely won't exist after"

upload_2018-8-31_15-4-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-31_15-4-21.png
    upload_2018-8-31_15-4-21.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 728
So if I were to read into this announcement, to me it seems like the province seems intent to move ahead with the Yonge North Extension and is removing the obvious roadblock (City of Toronto) from the equation.

More disturbing is that the relief line will likely be pushed to the back of the queue (to prioritize SSE and Yonge North), and there's a real chance the whole system system could collapse from overloading in ten years.

I didn't remember writing that - I'm smarter than I thought.
Back in June, in an obvious reference to "released" mandate letters (since that is what I was responding to), I was correct in predicting that the mandate letters would disappear from public view as soon as the Liberals were out.

I do congratulate your ability to search though.

Reading between lines, that's possible. But literally, there is no word "Yonge" in the whole release.

More disturbing is that the relief line will likely be pushed to the back of the queue (to prioritize SSE and Yonge North), and there's a real chance the whole system system could collapse from overloading in ten years.

That risk exists. However, once the provincial government "owns" the subway system and announces itself as the owner, they can no longer treat the subway overcrowding as someone else's problem. They will be on the hook.

I think it's a bit odd for the province to upload the subway system. If the primary motive is to get their way on planning, seems like the conservatives could simply plan by decree and let the city continue to absorb the cost of operating it. A good reason to upload planning and operations would be to better coordinate with go and Metrolinx, to do subway planning at the regional level, and to take advantage of the province's ability to raise taxes. Is it too much for me to think that their motives may be good?

I too am scratching my head about what the end prize is here. Moving the subway to a different balance sheet makes sense, but it creates so many transients and operational difficulties.

If the Province wants control of future subway planning and construction.... why? Opening day for any new line will be long after DoFo has left provincial politics. The Liberal strategy of just doling out money, and taking credit for that, and helping secure money from Ottawa, and taking credit for that, was maximum gain for minimum effort/risk. This proposal leaves the PC's accountable for any delays or overspends. North Yonge isn't such a political leverage point (it's blue already) to be worth the effort. Scarborough is already in the works, and as Ontario is contributing funds, Ford will be invited to all the ground breaking/ribbon cutting anyways. Contracting out the TTC is appealing, but he can likely force that without becoming the owner.

Most probable explanation seems to be a) DoFo can't pull his mental focus out of Toronto politics, and doesn't realise yet that he's running a province and it needs his attention and b) DoFo can't coexist with any sort of opposition or diverging opinion, and wants sole discretion over subway planning so he can rule with an iron fist. Seems like a lot of tactics without an end strategy.

- Paul

Steering clear of the politics (which is oxymoronic considering the topic):
Is it too much for me to think that their motives may be good?
I actually favour aspects of it. It's not the concept, it's *how it's done and why* and not just making it up as you go along. The New York Subway is probably a most recent example, and for many reasons, it was a disaster. This will be further discussed.

Contracting out the TTC is appealing, but he can likely force that without becoming the owner.
It's a good question, I understand the gist, because when you buy something, you assume almost all legal responsibilities, contractual agreements pending. But this is what's intended. Also to be discussed much further.

But to digress on the topic somewhat, but directly related to it, I tripped across this document on Ottawa's LRT digging for the Ottawa Transit string. And it's intriguing. I thought Ottawa's unique direct Federal regulation would be a product of the the National Capital Act - Laws.justice.gc.ca

It isn't mentioned even once that I can find in the following:
http://ottwatch.ca/meetings/file/30...g_Transit_Commission_Date_2015_09_14_09_30_00

And yet the City of Ottawa Act, provincial, is mentioned a number of times. Legally, I'm not sure of the implications. Haven't had time for digest the paper, the powers might end at the 'regulatory' aspect. So if this isn't predicated on the National Capital Act...could Toronto be accorded same/similar?

One would immediately retort: "Constitution" and I'd agree, the provinces are very defined in their authority, and yet Ottawa is an exception. Adam Vaughan has been ruminating on the Feds dealing directly with Toronto. Perhaps the example of the City of Ottawa has already cracked open the door?

Back