News   May 01, 2024
 621     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 242     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 318     0 

2015 Federal Election

Yeah, and the CPC cares so much about the economy that they are pushing racism, bigotry and xenophobia.
not trying to convince you to change your vote...just interpreting the chart of economic performances posted above...do with it what you will ;)

Thanks for posting the table....it confirmed what I suspected....our economy over the past 7 or 8 years has been the best performer and I think we should be very proud of our economic record...and should seek to continue it.

Is that due to Harper's economic policies, or because Canada is fortunate enough to have natural resources and a stable financial industry (which Harper wanted to deregulate)?

Is that due to Harper's economic policies, or because Canada is fortunate enough to have natural resources and a stable financial industry (which Harper wanted to deregulate)?
It is likely due to a lot of things.....but those "lot of things" (like resources and stable financial industry, etc) were factors before as well and, yet, I can't think of another 8 year period where we performed, on a relative basis, so far better than that group of nations.

I'm volunteering for a campaign in the Hamilton area, where I quickly learned that the niqab is not only a Quebec issue. Two residents I spoke to brought it up and were damn near frothing at the mouth.
The niqab is a terrible issue for the NDP and Liberals to grandstand on.

This was entirely predictable unfortunately. You don't have to be a conservative to dislike the practice.

It is likely due to a lot of things.....but those "lot of things" (like resources and stable financial industry, etc) were factors before as well and, yet, I can't think of another 8 year period where we performed, on a relative basis, so far better than that group of nations.

I think it's because of the high oil prices which benefited the oil industry, not the trickle-down economic policies. And we saw what happened as soon as those oil prices collapsed which is what happens when the country relies too much on one industry. I assume that the economy is your main priority in this election, so I hope you are well informed as to whether our good economy is due to Harper or in spite of Harper. I'm not well versed on this issue so I'm not too sure what to think, thought I see that Harper would rather talk about the niqab instead of real issues that matter. Personally I'm more interested in transit and infrastructure investment, urban issues, the environment and good governance, all of which that Harper has ignored and will continue to do so.

Time for Stephen Harper to get the boot. I voted for him last time but won't this time, he has been on for too long and needs to go. Almost 10 years he's been Prime Minister. He has no new ideas, just more of the same crap which is not doing anything for this country. Time for new people to come with some new ideas. I see the country is stagnating and we need some fresh blood. This is why I generally don't like politicians. He goes on about Trudeau saying he wants to run deficits but yet you have been running deficits for the whole time you have been Prime Minister. Paul Martin left you with a surplus when he left office. Another issue which turns me off the Harper and the Consevatives idea of painting taxes as something evil and how raising taxes is not good and that they should only go down. There is a time to raise taxes and time to bring them down. Painting taxes as something evil is nonsense. If taxes are so evil, why doesn't he cancel all federal taxes. Let's see how long the government lasts.

I think it's because of the high oil prices which benefited the oil industry, not the trickle-down economic policies. And we saw what happened as soon as those oil prices collapsed which is what happens when the country relies too much on one industry.

What happened when oil prices collapsed was that one or two provinces went into a recession...overall the shock of dropping oil prices led to a 2 quarter recession in the country (even though most provinces continued to show positive growth) but that really has more to do with how gdp (and, therefore, growth) is measured....the things that we typically associate with "recessions" (lower spending by the consumer, overall job losses, shrinking personal incomes) did not happen. The words "technical recession" are over used and sound like excuse mongering...but this was as close to that as anyone could experience.

I assume that the economy is your main priority in this election,

What's that old saying about "assume"? No, the economy is not my "main" priority in this election. It is always one of my issues (in the old red tory days of Bill Davis, there used to be a saying "the best social program is a job" ...so I do believe that dismissing economic issues is folly) but not, in this election what ultimately led me to stay with tradition and vote for the conservative party.

so I hope you are well informed as to whether our good economy is due to Harper or in spite of Harper.
I think of myself as reasonably informed and educated on economic matters...and I happen to think our excellent relative economic position during the Harper years is, neither, "because" of him or "in spite of him"....more so today than ever, no one government of any one nation can control their own economic destiny....they, rather, manage the circumstances nationally given a set of circumstances internationally.....in that regard, our economy has been very well managed and for that the government of the day deserves credit.

I'm not well versed on this issue so I'm not too sure what to think, thought I see that Harper would rather talk about the niqab instead of real issues that matter. Personally I'm more interested in transit and infrastructure investment, urban issues, the environment and good governance, all of which that Harper has ignored and will continue to do so.

As I have said to others, I have no goal to try and convince others to vote one way or the other....the beauty of our system is (I hope) that we can discuss matters with respect and dignity and recognize that we don't always see things the same. Having said that, to suggest that the Harper government has "ignored" local transit needs/requests is just inaccurate. Across the country there are projects that have received direct federal investment at the request of the local and provincial governments. Many right here in the GTA.

The niqab is a terrible issue for the NDP and Liberals to grandstand on.

They aren't--or at least if they are, it's only because the Cons forced the hand. And even so, it's more of an "anti-grandstand" kind of grandstanding...

For those of you who are planning on using facts and logic to determine your vote, I thought I would add another figure.

job-creation-chart.png

For those of you who are planning on using facts and logic to determine your vote, I thought I would add another figure.

job-creation-chart.png

Anyone one else notice something off about this chart? For example, where is Canada? Because if the "fastest" job growth country is supposed to be represent by the top most line, then legend below doesn't match the corresponding colours. :rolleyes:

Forum poll released tonight showing:

LPC - 37%
CPC - 31%
NDP - 23%

Some bad news out of the poll for the NDP is that 1/3rd of the respondents considering voting NDP are not firm, and are willing to change their vote.

With the Liberals continuing to gain steam, we may be in for a big surprise come election night. The seat count for that poll has the Liberals only 25 seats away from winning a majority now.

Advanced voting numbers are high so far. When people are content with the status quo, they stay home. This means change is in the air.

Remember the last time voting numbers were up? When John Tory became mayor.

Back