News   May 17, 2024
 155     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 183     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.5K     5 

2015 Federal Election

With the NDP collapsing, I see Harper getting a high minority or very slim majority.

Though the Liberals also seem to be benefiting from the NDP collapse. The question is, are the remaining NDP supporters willing to jump ship to prevent Harper from winning?

What about Nazi war criminals that were stripped of their citizenship after being revealed? I'm sure you wouldn't argue against it so would you argue that it was because a) they lied upon their citizenship application or b) those crimes were committed in the past before their application? If that was the case could we strip Islamic extremists of their citizenship if they committed crimes or were affiliated with terrorist organizations in past or are the Nazi cases an exception for political reasons?

You couldn't lie in order to get your citizenship - it's grounds for getting it revoked. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. There is a huge difference between being a Canadian citizen and committing war crimes and terrorism (which makes it our responsibility) and lying about one's prior history in order to gain citizenship. That's not what the Conservatives are doing however.

AoD

Last edited:
Though the Liberals also seem to be benefiting from the NDP collapse. The question is, are the remaining NDP supporters willing to jump ship to prevent Harper from winning?
I am worried that there are a lot of NDP voters this time around whose second choice is the Conservatives.

That is in the boat my father is in at the moment. =\

With the NDP collapsing, I see Harper getting a high minority or very slim majority.
Seems to be what the pollsters are thinking too...almost on a daily basis the threehundredeight website sees the Cons moving up (both in terms of the likely number of seats and the "high" side projection)

upload_2015-10-2_12-9-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-2_12-9-41.png
    upload_2015-10-2_12-9-41.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 254
I am worried that there are a lot of NDP voters this time around whose second choice is the Conservatives.

That is in the boat my father is in at the moment. =\
This is something I don't understand ... how can you support the left party and then your second choice is far right?

This is something I don't understand ... how can you support the left party and then your second choice is far right?
I think in this election (just based on platforms) it is hard to view the NDP as the far left....they seem to have outcentred the Libs and switched places with them.

My dad escaped Communist Poland, the conservative is drilled into him. However, I've managed to convince him that the Conservative Party is no good and that Harper needs to go, and he agrees after years of poor performance from them as the governing party.

He remembers Chretien and Martin Liberal leadership too, and has a dislike for the Liberals (despite voting for them in the provincial election) because of it.

He likes what Mulcair and this NDP has to offer and thinks Canada needs a new direction and is willing to vote against some of his values to give them the opportunity to govern. I think the NDP drifting to the center helps a lot too. But given that the NDP don't poll well in our riding and it is a choice between Liberals and Conservatives, and that the NDP are now trailing in the polls nationally, he is reluctant to vote for Liberals, even if strategically.

I'd imagine this isn't too unique of a scenario that some people find themselves in.

OK, that makes sense. I was thinking of traditional NDP supporters switching over to CPC, which was boggling my mind.

There are also a lot of less-well read voters who really can't tell the difference between left and right. They just want a candidate that speaks well, is good looking/handsome, or especially in the case of multicultural Toronto, is of the same ethnicity as they are.

How anyone
There are also a lot of less-well read voters who really can't tell the difference between left and right. They just want a candidate that speaks well, is good looking/handsome, or especially in the case of multicultural Toronto, is of the same ethnicity as they are.

The Cons are good at convincing Canadians to vote against their own best interest.

My neighbour is a public sector worker, yet he still voted for Hudak :rolleyes:

If CPC get their majority we may be shod of both Trudeau (aka Justin) and Harper, the former almost immediately because he's proven he'll never be ready, and the latter by 2018/9 because he'll want to go out on a high note (aka, majority).

despite earlier suggestions that the 34% Tory number was somehow a reflection on Forum Research....it seems other pollsters are getting similar numbers:

View attachment 56242

And latest polling from Nanos/Globe & Mail-CTV show the Liberals in the lead in B.C. and Ontario. So I think its safe to say a Ouija board or a magic eight ball might be just as clear as the pollsters on who is going to win this election. :rolleyes:

Back