News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

1970s Toronto

Look at the ads. "Tower Power", "On Top In Toronto". Its the original bridge to the CN Tower from Front Street. It was located where smuncky has indicated. It was moved when the Dome was built.

It now resides on Highway 11 north of Barrie. There's a famous roadside burger joint (can't remember the name) up there that bought it. They had so many people stopping on the other side of the highway that it was causing problems. They now have this bridge so people don't have to cross the highway.

It's Webers burgers. I've stopped there once, it's pretty good. It's one of those things you've gotta do while driving up that way.

Hmmm....I could swear I saw a large logo on the roof on the building, facing south. In any case, *something* was done to that building that disrupted its sparse, unadorned facade.

There is indeed an ING logo at Ontario Hydro Building - and it wasn't set into the building itself - more like a cheap-looking steel structure at the roof.

AoD

Didn't even notice it:

2506382882_1cf24fa5df.jpg

2521704471_3730d913e6.jpg

2762148424_3e65ef34cf.jpg

1970s Toronto: Memories for me as well...

Mike and everyone: Good group of 1970s Toronto pics-I visited Toronto for the first time in 1979 and some bring back memories and I recognize these
from my recollections as well as seeing them elsewhere: First Group:
#1-CN Tower Foundation Dig-early 70s
#2-CN Tower nears completion in 1976-I found a copy of the CN employee magazine from that period that had a good CN Tower write up-I recognize that pic. I have a copy of the write-up somewhere...
#3-That pic is inside the main walkway over the CN tracks W of Union Station leading to the CN Tower-it was a good place to watch trains W of Union Station-I remember back before all the later 80s development that was once the only way to access the CN Tower from N of the CN tracks from large parking lots-where the Convention Center was eventually built. I remember there was NO direct connection between Union Station and the CN Tower until the late 80s. I also never knew that walkway was removed in the late 80s when the Skydome was built!
#5-The Gooderham Flatiron Building with some older TTC buses.
#7,8-Good pics from atop the CN Tower.
#9-Downtown looking NE from Ontario Place.
#10-Carlton Street in front of Maple Leaf Gardens-College Park is in the background.
#13-Canada Geese at the Eaton Centre.
#16-TTC 1953 Gloucester Red Cars at Rosedale Station-just goes to show how well the TTC kept these cars right up until their retirement. Fiendish Librarian: You mention the rundown station conditions today-any pics?
Second Group:
#3-Ironworker atop CN tower around time of top-out - the very top of the CN Tower was flown up by a helicopter and placed. From previously mentioned CN Tower writing.
#4-Don Valley Parkway looking SW towards Downtown.
#6-I remember the Ontario Hydro Building on University just S of Queens Park-and now it is ING Direct today-good recent pics from TKTKTK.
In closing even though I only came to Toronto beginning in 1979 I have good memories there-it really is neat to see what has changed. I recall reading that the 70s were a time of change for Toronto-when it truly was becoming "The People City" as it was referred to back then. LI MIKE

thorcliffe-downtown.jpg

I'm so glad they stopped cutting the grass along the DVP and even planted a bunch of trees. I drove down today and its totally starting to become one big forest the whole way. A lot nicer and greener.

Back