News   May 09, 2024
 416     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 694     1 

180 Danforth Av @ Ellerbeck e of Broadview (Shoppers Drug Mart, 1s) COMPLETE

paraone

Member Bio
Reaction score
Was up on the Danforth yesterday and noticed that the PetroCanada and Ralph Day Funeral home on the northwest corner are being taken down as well as the first 2 or 3 storefronts on the northside of Danforth. Anyone know what's going in it's place? Condo? Stores? there is no mention of anything on the hoarding just the name of the demo company.

just what the area needs another shoppers.... maybe I'll stop by and watch them open the big box when it arrives. I won't miss the gas station(worked there for 3 years in high school) but it's too bad they are touching the other buildings.

if you extrapolated current trends out 100 years, all retail on main streets in toronto will eventually consist of either 1) starbucks, 2) money mart 3) tim hortons 4) shoppers drug mart

This trend is happening everywhere. Go to Wired New York and check out the complaints about all the Starbucks, Citibanks and Duane Reade's popping up everywhere.

^Like Vancouver--every new condo has a London Drugs/Save On Foods/Capers/SBUX at base. Ugly and boring.

The alternative? A Cherry Bomb and Ideal Coffee every few hundred feet with a Galaxy Donuts (and drug mart;) a dead animal organic shop, Fresh and Chippy's.....

Either scenario is tedious.

The thing I liked most about Danforth Ave were the mom and pop shops. The last few years it seems they are on the way out and chains are filling in the gaps. Though I would rather see this than empty store fronts, it is still sad to see.

I have to agree that this is a complete waste of space. Some residential on top would be nice.... Just like the one beween Pape and Jones a giant box that occupies a rather large lot with nothing more than a shoppers, makes me wish the Alexandria mall actually survived.

Is there any Shoppers in the immediate neighbourhood that this one might supercede?

they used to have one at gough/danforth but that's pretty far east to serve this exact area. There is an IDA right across the street, I'm sure it will be gone in a year max though.

ellerbeck

i am an ellerbeck can anyone tell me why there is a street named ellerbeck.. who was he/she?

Back