News   May 08, 2024
 218     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 444     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 749     0 

15 Denison Ave (n of Queen W, potential affordable housing)

It would be great if the "You miss 100 percent of the shotd [sic] u [sic] don't make" mural were preserved.
Not sure if that WALL can be retained as part of the City plan to drop the two buildings on Queen Street for the new Park, but it is certainly early enough in the process to ask...

1621474940339.png

Brief mention in this article, in relation to the 101 Spadina project:

Proceeds from the land transfer from the city will support an estimated 20 to 30 new affordable off-site housing units in the area, with potential opportunities at current parking lots that could be converted to residential uses at 35 Bellevue Ave. and 15 Denison Ave.

I understand that 15 Denison is likely to get approved for 15 floors, maybe more because of the location. Has anyone heard the latest details and where the developers are with zoning?

I understand that 15 Denison is likely to get approved for 15 floors, maybe more because of the location. Has anyone heard the latest details and where the developers are with zoning?

There is no application in the AIC for 15 Denison currently, so far as I can discern.

I didn't even know they'd picked the developer, though that process certainly should have happened, it was supposed to happen as an RFP in conjuction with MBDC - https://www.mbdc.ca/

Perhaps @HousingNowTO may have some info to share.

There is no application in the AIC for 15 Denison currently, so far as I can discern.

I didn't even know they'd picked the developer, though that process certainly should have happened, it was supposed to happen as an RFP in conjuction with MBDC - https://www.mbdc.ca/

Perhaps @HousingNowTO may have some info to share.
Have not seen or heard anything official about the Denison Green-P surface parking-lot. It would be an obvious site for the City to move forward with under Mayor Chow’s public builder program, but no news that we have heard.

Are we finally going to get that park here??

There is no plan for a park on the parking lot, the plan is for Housing.

The plan is for the current/former retail buildings on Queen to be the park.

Yes, that's the reverse of the way :I'd do it too.

There is no plan for a park on the parking lot, the plan is for Housing.

The plan is for the current/former retail buildings on Queen to be the park.

Yes, that's the reverse of the way :I'd do it too.
Wasn't the original plan for the parking lot to become a park, along with the former KFC property that was demolished at the corner?

Wasn't the original plan for the parking lot to become a park, along with the former KFC property that was demolished at the corner?

In another era, the Green P lot was periodically discussed as a potential park. I don't recall if that was ever formally a plan.

But when the City found money to buy the KFC and the adjacent property, the decision was made to have the park front Queen; the councillor of the day, Cressy supported housing here.

I agree .w/housing, just don't agree w/the site assembly and massing.

Here's some additional materials about that GREEN-P site on Denison from our TMU SURP Student team's work back in 2021 -

HISTORY
1712631927085.png

1712631966460.png

CONTEXT

1712632008580.png

1712632100036.png

MASSING ALTERNATIVES (Mass-Timber / Rapid Modular)

1712632163347.png

1712632227765.png

1712632366730.png

1712632441430.png

Here's some additional materials about that GREEN-P site on Denison from our TMU SURP Student team's work back in 2021 -

HISTORY
View attachment 554825
View attachment 554826

CONTEXT

View attachment 554827

View attachment 554828

MASSING ALTERNATIVES (Mass-Timber / Rapid Modular)

View attachment 554829

View attachment 554830

View attachment 554831

View attachment 554832

All the concepts above are sub-optimal.

Four storeys is silly short.

A set back is needed, on the north side in particular, and and to some degree on the east/west frontages, but there is no need for a badly designed wedding cake.

One setback, then straight up. I haven't done an analysis to derive an optimal height........... but I would set the range at 8--12 storeys.

Build 3 storeys up, one set back and then uniform floor plates.

Volunteers and planners suffering from the same perspective problems from opposite sides.

Its about the outcome from the perspective of those walking by.

They don't care about the math, or the concept, they care about the feel (wind, temperature, vibe) and the look.

That's all.

Cheaper to build w/fewer setbacks, but zero setbacks results in poor conditions at street level and strong push back.

Last edited:

Back