News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 610     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 294     0 

144/146 Bloor Street West renovations (Burberry store)

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There was discussion late last year in another thread ("155 Cumberland"?) about the former Famous Players/Paramout Pictures Offices at 146 Bloor W. coming down.

Hoarding is up so something is going on in there. Considering the economy I'm guessing plans are on hold and that the office tower lobby & retail (formerly Grand & Toy) are getting a refresh. Does anyone have any information on this?
Hopefully this gives the Cumberland Cinemas another extension on it's lease.

Although the hoarding remains the same (eyesore), there is now a big orange "144" spray painted onto the front of the boards presuming that the retail location is 144 Bloor W. When I walked by today there were open boards so I stepped in and took a look. The former Grand & Toy has been gutted. It also appeared that the former Famous Players office lobby had large hole knocked through to the retail and it had also been gutted although I didn't walk in any further to see the full extent of what they had done to the office lobby. Probably a reconfiguration of some type but the office entrance/lobby was not very wide to begin with, perhaps 12 feet wide at best. Although the office tower can be accessed covertly from two points through the Cumberland Cinemas, there is no other access except an emergency exit stairwell which opens into the laneway between Bloor & Cumberland Streets so logically there will still have to be a Bloor Street entrance for the office tower.

May 12th

Now elegantly marked with an address

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I didn't know that property has 2 addresses: 144 and 146.

Neither did I until last week. I presume the office tower is 146 and the retail is 144

The same ugly hoarding is still up. I got a look inside, the lobby entrance to the 146 Bloor W. offices has been reduced to about half of what it was and the Burberry retail area (formerly Grand & Toy at 144 Bloor E.) has been expanded using that space. A sign is also posted indicating 40,000 sq. ft. of office space available for lease so it looks like 144 & 146 Bloor will be around for a while now. Hopefully this buys the Cumberland Cinemas more time too.

August 7th Update

It took 3 months but there's finally corporate branding up on the hoarding. Construction on Burberry looks to be moving along, it might be open in 4-6 weeks. Just a guess judging by the progress I saw inside vs. about two weeks ago. It be ideal if they can open in time for the Film Festival.

Oct. 10th

Oops - finger in the way, my bad.

Oct. 29th

Burberry is now open however I wonder where "146 Bloor West" went!

Back