unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
September 30, 2008, 4:49 pm

10 Finalists Picked in Bike-Rack Contest

By Sewell Chan

The New York Times

bikerack3.jpg

One of these 10 finalists will become the official city bike rack design. Top row, left to right: Next Phase Studios of Boston; Andrew Lang and Henry Dobbs of London; Federico Otero of Lima, Peru. Middle row, left to right: Stephen Jaklitsch Architects of Manhattan; Jeff Miller and Andrea Ruggiero of Manhattan; Baroni & Valeriani Architects of Florence, Italy; Ian Mahaffy and Maarten De Greeve of Copenhagen, Denmark. Bottom row, left to right: Ignacio Ciocchini of Astoria, Queens; Francis Anthony Bitonti/FADarch of Brooklyn; Open Thread Design of Brooklyn.

After reviewing more than 200 entries from 24 states and 26 countries, a six-member design jury on Tuesday named 10 finalists in the CityRacks Design Competition to create new, better-looking bicycle parking racks.

The winner will be announced on Oct. 24 during National Design Week, an event sponsored by the Smithsonian’s Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum.
The city’s Department of Transportation has announced the goal of doubling bicycle commuting by 2015, and expanded bike-parking facilities are part of that plan. There are 5,000 or so CityRacks, which were first designed 10 years ago. As new racks are added — the goal is 1,000 per year — they will reflect the new design.
“These finalists each demonstrate an understanding of how bike parking in New York City can be attractive, functional and secure,†said Janette Sadik-Khan, the city’s transportation commissioner. “From among these intriguing designs, the competition jury will identify the one that best meets the city’s needs for usable bike parking that will also generate greater interest in bicycle use in the city.â€
Ten prototypes of the finalists’ designs have been installed at Astor Place, near “Alamo (The Cube),†the sculpture by Bernard Rosenthal that sits at Astor Place, mounted on a corner. Duplicates of the prototypes will also be installed at various places around the city, including the front of Borough Hall and P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center in Queens, Fordham Plaza in the Bronx, the New-York Historical Society in Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
The competition jury will select first-, second- and third-place winners next month. The first-place winner will receive an additional $10,000 prize; in exchange for the prize, the top winner will be required to transfer intellectual property rights to the design to the city.
Two firms — RSVP Architecture Studio in Brooklyn and Jessica Lee and Anthony Lau of London — won a related competition to design indoor racks for office and apartment buildings.
The CityRacks Design Competition asked designers across the world to participate, noting that “the city’s new bus stop shelters, newsstands, sheltered bike parking structures and public toilets serve as an exemplar of what the city seeks in street furniture meant to withstand the rigors of New York City sidewalks.â€
The six-member jury included Ms. Sadik-Khan, the transportation commissioner; First Deputy Mayor Patricia E. Harris; the artist and musician David Byrne, who has designed nine bike racks of his own in a separate, private effort;
Duncan Jackson, principal of BillingsJacksonDesign, which created the current bus-shelter design; Ellen Lupton, curator of contemporary design at the Cooper-Hewitt; and Craig Nevill-Manning, New York engineering director at Google.

Middle center left (the black diamond) is nice, I like the coloration. Maybe it's just me, but I find the metallic materials used on bike racks very ugly. I'm having a very tough time visualizing bottom left, I don't get it at all but I like that it can store 4 bikes, certainly unique. Top right is pretty decent as well. What the hell is bottom center?

I like the fact that they ran an international design competition in order to find their new bike rack design - we should take a look at what happens in the finals, and whether or not we should do the same. Toronto, in my opinion, should have a much higher percentage of bicyclists than NYC, and we definitely need new racks - I have had two bikes stolen from those POS rings-maybe its just the materiality of them?

Some of them look really good visually, but the question is how well they will work and the ease of locking to them. I like the large ring with the horizontal cross-bar, but only visually- I would like to see them mocked up and with bikes on them..

p5

Shouldn't this be in the Rest of the World forums?

I do'nt think any of them are really anything special.

Back