851     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 753     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 4.5K     3 

1 King West hotel rooms.

T

thx1038

a friend just tried to book a room next weekend at 1 king. They are all booked! Wow!

Wow. I guess the sign worked ;)

Actually, if I were an investor I'd be worried if they can't book all hotel rooms during Pride weekend.

I am an investor in 1 King who lurks on this forum and periodically weighs in. Although I have my unit leased for the time being (making a decent cashflow), I frequently communicate with Owner relations for updates on operations. I plan to put my unit back into the pool when this lease expires.

The last couple months have been excellent and owners are starting to see a decent return on their investment. I believe the discounted rates and promotions are starting to deliver and as business travellers discover this property, it will continue to do well. Business travelers are creatures of habit who provide a good base of business. If you read some of the customer comments on travel sites, they are generally very positive, especially in the area of customer service.

I think in the long run, this development will turn out to be a good investment that is a lot of fun to use.

Prideweek will have the entire hotel stock in Toronto booked. A huge influx of people into the city. I think if you try calling around, to get any hotel room for next weekend, I think you'll have a tough time. You can also expect the same thing during the Film Festival, among other events.

It's exactly as SGM says, its the reputation and size of the event that is selling out the hotels.

It is good to hear that 1KW will reap the benefits of this as well, but its real test is the time in between, and its ability to translate the revenue (expected and unexpected) into profit.

Yep. Selling hotel rooms during pride weekend is the same as selling Nair. You don't even have to try.

Hi civdis

thanks for filling us in. I'm glad things are going well for 1 king. Any idea roughly how much the investors are getting on the monthly/

I'm another investor in 1KW, and although we don't have the final figures for May yet, based on the percentage occupancy it looks like I'll more than cover my mortgage+condo fees for that month.

In June (and likely extending longer), my unit is being rented out for the entire month as part of the monthly rental program, which covers my mortgage + condo fee and leaves about $600 or so extra. A surprising number of the units in the building (I think the count was getting close to 100) are currently rented out on a monthly rental basis, so it looks like that might be a great way to fill up space not occupied by hotel guests (also providing a market that hopefully won't be as affected by seasonal fluctuations).

thx1038

I'm not sure as I am currently not in the pool, but my understanding is that the smallest units were receiving approximately $1500 for the month of May. Larger suites would receive more depending on your rate factor. This was in a month where occupancy was around 70% and rates were deeply discounted.

Doesn't V of E have a unit in 1KW? Let's hope someone throws a wild pride party in it this weekend.

Did V of E leave? dudes we have to be a bit more rispectable here.

Yep. Selling hotel rooms during pride weekend is the same as selling Nair. You don't even have to try.

...or in the case of 1 King, speed sticks...

With the arrival of junior in less than two months my wife is in a mad tear to get the apartment ready. So Ed spent last weekend tearing out carpets and vinyl tiles to expose the hardwood floor (why the previous owners covered them up escapes me). Either way it meant sanding and staining on Monday which meant two nights out of the apartment. So we moved to 1 King. Here's some pictures from the 40th floor. As to relevance to this thread, the place was busy both day and night. Even after midnight the bar area (small certainly) was busy. Harry said that things were really picking up. As an outsider it looked like that may be the case.

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

ED and AP live close by.
IMG_4203.jpg

West Donlands. Can't wait.
IMG_4204.jpg

Spire @ 39 floors. Today it hit 40.
IMG_4205.jpg

Finishing the 39th with MikeTorontoLand in the distance.
IMG_4207.jpg

Changes to UrbanToronto being announced within the week.

^ Now that's an intriguing kicker.

I passed the 1 King lobby the other night - there was a small but lively coterie of beautiful people in evening dress clustered around the 1 King bar just after midnight on a Tuesday, looking like extras from a liqueur ad. It was the one sign of real life on the whole strip; kinda nice.

I noticed yesterday that the restaurant on the ground floor is being renovated for the xth time. What is going on in there?

Back