News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 700     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.4K     7 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting back your deposit is not easy as you think. I purchased a unit in the Couture project (Bloor/Jarvis) of Monarch last year because I did not want to buy from an unknown builder who is not Canadian (I don’t like taking risks). Lately I read on the Couture forum (in this website) that the builder removed the 5 top floors, which means that my unit does not exist anymore. I contacted the sales office and they confirmed that the building will be 40 storeys instead of 45. I decided to ask for my deposit back, but they totally ignored me without giving me even one update or calling back. Only after my lawyer contacted McMillian who holds the in-trust account, I got a phone call from McMillian and when I told them that Monarch removed the 5 top floors they were totally surprised because no one from Monarch told that news. As of now, my deposits were released back to Monarch (worse case scenario); it's no longer in the in-trust account. I don’t want any interest just want my money back, but I'm quite sure that it won't happen anytime soon :(

sorry to hear that. From my experience, Monarch is very disorganized. It takes them forever to do anything. I won't be surprised to see Monarch go downhill from here on. Unless they replace their team (e.g., design team is the first to go, followed by marketing, etc.) Hope everything turns out smoothly for you.

I guess this can happen to anyone, not just developers from overseas - Canadian builders too.

Please take that conversation to the Couture thread: this is the 1 Bloor East thread.

They should talk to Suncorp in australia, I think they have an appetite for this kind of financing. Or Macquarie Bank.

Anyone else have ideas for possible sources of funding. It's a financially sound project,lenders jsut have to be given awareness about it.

I think you can safely assume that any lender of any size whatsoever will be aware of it.

Macquarie is becoming larger and more active in Canada, but I'm not sure that they are involved in financing condo projects. They want to take a leading role in financing large infrastructure projects, along with a few other areas.

They convinced Lehman Brothers. Who would have thought Lehman Brothers could go under?

Lehman, though, was not a provider of conventional senior construction financing. Their position in this project (and many others in Toronto) was a provider of early-stage, land and pre-development financing that often took an equity position as well.

Where this one went wrong for LB (many others worked out fine) was that they got repayed from the first draw (typically) of that construction loan.....since that was never arranged that is what i meant.

I just noticed something a bit odd. Gary Berman used to work for Canderel Stoneridge the builder for Aura at College Park. Now he's leading a group who's goal is to force 1 Bloor into receivership. Canderel would benefit immensly if 1 Bloor was chopped down or cancelled as they still have many executive level and penthouse units for sale at Aura. Even if 1 Bloor is reduced to 68 floors, Aura would become the tallest condominium by floors and the market would be flooded with buyers for luxury units. It would almost certainly guarantee that Aura will be built.

That is it...he left Canderel 7 years ago as part of a grand conspiracy to crater a project that no one new about then that might compete with a project that CS had yet to unveil (or, perhaps, even think of)!! ;)

I think you can safely assume that any lender of any size whatsoever will be aware of it.

Macquarie is becoming larger and more active in Canada, but I'm not sure that they are involved in financing condo projects. They want to take a leading role in financing large infrastructure projects, along with a few other areas.

I think it is safe to say that any lender actively involved in financing large condo projects in the Toronto market has been approached (at least once) with this project.

One Bloor court documents

I am an owner of a unit (purchased very early in the process) and yesterday obtained a copy of the court order from last week. It is too big to attach in this forum. Either way the key point is that the first hurdle amongst many is that Bazis needs to have and i quote from the order "a definitive and binding purchase and sale agreement with terms and conditions customary for a vacant land acquisition on or before 5pm on Tuesday, July 28, 2009, with a copy of the fully executed and complete agreement provided to Goodmans LLP at that time, such agreement to provide, inter alia:
(a) good faith deposit of $500,000 to be paid no more than one (1) business day after delivery of the agreement of purchase and sale, and a further deposit of $1.5 million within 2 bus days after waiver or satisfaction of the conditions"..........etc, etc.

Either way today is the day...no news today or tomorrow and i believe this is going to receivership.

Thanks MikeEmpire ...

Do you have confirmation that the building height has been reduced?
What floor are you on?
Have you received any further updates from Bazis et al?

thank you for the info MikeEmpire ... and welcome !

the situation is unfortunate for purchasers in 1BE, but thankfully (for UT) there are people like yourself who took the matters into their own hands to dig deep for information (ie: court documents)

Daily Commercial News

Changing bank rules hit signature condo project in Toronto
Pace of large projects may slow down

July 30, 2009

IAN HARVEY, correspondent

Creditors have reached a deal to buy time for the developer of a luxury 80-storey condominium development at a prestigious Yonge and Bloor location to secure the financing to get the project off the ground.

“We anticipate paying off that debt obligation and successfully resolving what has been a challenging situation for Bazis, a large number of buyers and commercial and retail leases at 1 Bloor,” says Michael Gold, head of developer Bazis International.

The fate of the venture, however, is far from certain and serves as a dramatic example of how the credit meltdown has impacted the sector and, as high-profile realtor and developer Brad Lamb put it,“how the rules were changed by the banks halfway through the game.”

And that may hit construction as the pace of large condo and hotel construction slows as a side effect of the financial sector meltdown.

At the heart of the battle is a one-acre site at Bloor and Yonge streets where Bazis International is planning to building a luxury condo with high-end shops and luxury hotel. The conflict revolves around $46 million in loans advanced to Bazis on which no payments have been made since December 2008. Both sides will be back in court August 18.

Bazis is developing properties around the world, including one other condo project in Toronto, Crystal Blu. For One Bloor, Bazis borrowed $46 million from Paris-based Société Générale for the land purchase but the bank hit the rocks in the current meltdown.

Negotiations to extend the loan went south and at the same time Bazis was hit hard when Lehman Brothers, with whom it had been talking about a construction loan, went into bankruptcy last year.

A group led by financier Gary Berman, managing director at Tricon Capital Group, with the Minto Group, a high-profile builder led by the Greenberg family and KingSett Capital, a leading private equity real estate business, bought the debt from Société Générale.

The companies have since called the loan and are looking to foreclose and appoint a receiver to sell off assets.

The three parties involved in that loan are probably the biggest developers in Toronto, Lamb says.

“They didn’t buy the debt for the return — they bought it to control the development,” he says. “They smelled blood in the water. It’s the trifecta with the deep pockets. Tricon is the probably the biggest equity fund in North America for condos. They will be able to get the $500 million to proceed.”

He says, there’s no way to know if Bazis will still have a stake in the project when the dust settles and the shovels start to dig.

“The problem many developers are facing like this is that the rules of the game were changed halfway through,” says Lamb.

“In any development, there are three tiers of financing. The first is your equity, how much of your own money you’re putting up, the second is your land loan and then the third is the construction loan. Generally speaking, it used to be enough to have equity plus 70 per cent of units sold with 15 per cent deposits from buyers to get the construction loan. But the banks have been unfair by changing the rules half way through the game. Now they want more.”

He said his one of his own current projects would have cost him four-and-a-half times as much of his own money under the new reality imposed by lenders.

Banks are nervous and have ducked for cover and aren’t willing to put up $500 million on projects like One Bloor, he says.

“Right now they should be lending because there isn’t a lot of competition out there and they can cherry pick the deals. But they won’t. They’ll sit out until the fall when things pick up and everyone gets back into the market,” Lamb says.

“The irony is that there are buyers out there and they’re real, not speculators, people who want and need a place to live,” says Jeanhy Shim, of Thinkbuild Consulting, a condo market research firm.

“But for developers it’s a challenge because the banks’ criteria has changed. You can’t get financing under the same terms. They’re looking at smaller projects, less than 100 units and eight storeys, where the loans needed are maybe $10 million or so, but they won’t look at the big projects.”

http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id34752

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back