News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Bloor Street East Chart

Here's a chart I made ... it shows some of the transactions with the 1 Bloor Street East property since 2005, when the City sold it. The dotted lines show a relationship and I arranged it in rough chronological order. I am a bit confused about the 2 wk mortgage in 2006 for $32.7 million involving Bazis, prior to the transfer of the property to them??

Update: The City transaction is related to "Roy's Lane", as it was termed prior to the wrecking ball.

Here is a breakdown of the items in the chart:

Land at the south east corner of Yonge and Bloor streets, in the City of Toronto, is valued at $31 million in 2005.

Nastapoka Holdings Inc., who has been involved in these lands since 1990, and is related to Canada Square Management Ltd., mortgages the land for $8.2 million to CIBC in March 2005.

They duplicate this mortgage in April 2006, for $8.2 million again. These CIBC mortgages, totalling $16.4 million, are discharged in November 2006. Six days after their discharge, Nastapoka mortgages the lands to Bazis International Inc., a Kazakh company (more on Bazis later), for $32.7 million.

This Bazis mortgage is discharged two weeks later, at the same time as the "sale" of the lands to One Bloor Street East Limited, for $62.8 million. Also that same day, One Bloor Street East Limited mortgages the lands to Canada Square Management Ltd., for $15 million, and Societe General, for $35 million.

About one year later, One Bloor Street East Limited mortgages the lands to the Bank of Nova Scotia, for $13.75 million, and Societe General, for $50 million.

Thus, One Bloor Street East gave a total of $100 million of mortgages in one year, to December 2007.

Further, the statement on the Robins, Appleby & Taub LLP website, already quoted in this forum, that,

"One Bloor Street East Limited purchased the property on behalf of a limited partnership representing the interests of our client, Bazis International Inc., and Lehman Brothers."

is confusing for me: how did One Bloor Street East Limited purchase any property on behalf of anyone without there being any indication, on title, of a transfer "in trust"? And, if Lehman Brothers have an "interest" in the property, how do they have such interest, and how much exposure does One Bloor Street East have to Lehman Brothers?

Attachments

• bazis.jpg
    bazis.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
^Hmm sounds like a money laundering scheme to me....

Anyhow, word on the street says this building isn't going to happen: source: A 100 Yorkville construction site biggie.

I was thinking, perhaps for a few million, Bazis could "gift" the site to the city for the next 20 years, maybe as a Janet Rosenberg-designed city square/park like the one at 18 Yorkville?

As I mentioned previously, its on hold as per Altus Group who consults and appraises for Bazis on their properties. Nothing about it being cancelled yet.

There are a lot of sites that aren't going to happen unless there is an intervention in the financial markets to get capital flowing again and possibly have government backed loans. There has been virtually no new initiation of lending since mid-September and there are dozens of sites that could be in trouble if the situation isn't resolved in the next six months.

Can we just wait until the city issues a permit? Thats is what they are waiting for.

based on the notes above, it would appear the issue here is not so much "Bazis not being able to get Building Permits", but would be more like "Bazis not having the funding/financing to construct once the Building Permits are issued"

... this could get interesting

i really hope this gets built because it doesn't look pretty, having a vacant lot sitting at one of Toronto's busiest intersection.

In terms of foot traffic, it's a busy intersection albeit not as busy as it was, say, five years ago. A large empty lot in one corner of what is arguably the centre of the city sure does remove a lot of animation from the area.

Last edited:
based on the notes above, it would appear the issue here is not so much "Bazis not being able to get Building Permits", but would be more like "Bazis not having the funding/financing to construct once the Building Permits are issued"

I think it has more to do with developers waiting to see how many of their purchasers try to get out of their deals because the purchaser's can no longer obtain financing. This is happening a lot in Vancouver and also here. People who have lost their jobs or their collateral is now not worth what it was. It is prudent to wait and let the economy settle out.

In terms of foot traffic, it's a busy intersection albeit not as busy as it was, say, five years ago. An large empty lot in one corner of what is arguably the centre of the city sure does remove a lot of animation from the area.

Why is it not as silly as it was 5 years ago?
I found Bloor busier this summer then it was in the past 5 years.

Although considering the situation that likely won't happen again this summer.

Although most of Toronto's "busiest intersections" are surrounded by barren parking lots: Dufferin and Steeles, Bathurst and Lawrence, so many more.... I'd argue Bloor and Yonge is one of the least busy intersections in Toronto.

What a silly thing to say ...

If you count traffic on the subway and pedestrians it probably beats out the other intersections you mention.

Moreover I'm sure in most cities in North America the "busiest intersections" are surrounded by barren parking lots.

The point is a good amount of people live / work / shop in the area .. that's what makes it one of the busiest intersections and not Dufferin and Steele and why we need to pay it the attention it deserves to make it a great public place ... whether that be in the form of a park or 80 story building is another story.

Why is it not as silly as it was 5 years ago?
I found Bloor busier this summer then it was in the past 5 years.

Although considering the situation that likely won't happen again this summer.

Funny typo :)

Why is Yonge-Bloor so busy anyway? Just because of the subway interchange?

Funny typo :)

Why is Yonge-Bloor so busy anyway? Just because of the subway interchange?

I guess we can call it silly if this project doesn't go through :)

Well there's quite a bit of retail in any direction - quite a few people live / work right around the area. Why wouldn't it be busy?

Although it's true most of the crowds are usually a bit farther south on Yonge or a bit farther West on Bloor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back