Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The Lalani Group has to rebuild the Empress Hotel brick by brick to match it's exact design.
Seriously though, I'm willing to bet the eventual fall of HMV will result in a superblock here and another boring glass building will be proposed within a few months.

The Lalani Group has to rebuild the Empress Hotel brick by brick to match it's exact design.
Seriously though, I'm willing to bet the eventual fall of HMV will result in a superblock here and another boring glass building will be proposed within a few months.

Too bad indeed...

As I was walking down Yonge Street about 30 minutes ago, I heard two seperate conversations about Aura. One conversation from a big guy and his big.girlfriend talking about the starting prices of the units " You see that? Starting price is $900,000, and suites from 2.2 million to 17 million" His.girlfriend was just gasping as they walked right up behind me and overtaking me.

A second conversation about two seconds later by another tandem walking in the opposite direction of the first couple and myself. One guy telling his buddy : " Now you see there, that will be a Bed Bath and Beyond " He was also mentioning other stores and their location in the podium couldnt hear all of it as I was walking in the opposite direction.

Just thought it was funny how these guys were all so interested in this project. Will be a big change for Yonge, along the lines of the Atrium on Bay, and the 10 Dundas East Building.

Edit: The Escalators for the retail levels have been installed you can see them clearly when walking on the east side of Yonge Street.

Last edited:
Interesting (and good) how many people are informed, and engaged. Wonder where they get their info.? :). I've also seen people stop and look, discuss the building then move on, with Aura rising now it's creating a lot of buzz. The same will happen with 1 Bloor E., & presumably those two monster projects @ 460 & 501 Yonge and Massey Tower. All high profile buildings on one of the busiest pedestrian streets in the city.

It's already up above College Park, and it's only got about 4-5 floors to go before it clears 415 Yonge and the Delta Chelsea. Once it gets up above its neighbours the buzz is really going to get started.

nice ^ in that last pic of caltrane's, you can see the new pieces of cladding that will sit between the floors of the podium (that wood-like looking piece)

Just looking at a feature on New York magazine's website, "On the Market:
What’s up there? Listings in the city’s 18 tallest residential towers, every one above the 40th floor.
" Interesting to note that Manhattan's tallest residential building, Gehry's 8 Spruce Street, is actually slightly shorter than Aura's planned height (although there is apparently a taller building in the works, One57, that will surpass Aura considerably). Still, it's not too shabby that Toronto has condos in the same stratosphere as New York City.

One57 is 305m tall and looks over Central Park so it's the sure winner...

One57 is 305m tall and looks over Central Park so it's the sure winner...

OMG! It's right at the southern border of Central Park! The shadows it will cast! Think of the children!

One57 would never be permitted in Toronto if it were to be located on the southern edge of a major public space, because of its shadowing threat (apparently people are reverse vampires -- expose them to a shadow and they burst into flame, or something).

One57 is crammed in a really ghetto lot and backed by some really tall buildings as neighbours, but it's north view of the park from most floors will be spectacular, and the building itself with its cladding and setbacks/slants is gonna be amazing.

whereas aura is a building with a big retail podium, right at the corner of an open intersection, with clear views in every direction, although not all views will be great and the immediate area isn't the most pretty. but it is taller and it is a bigger building (not height wise).

What do you expect? This is a discussion forum, hence the discussion over the architectural merits of this building (because, honestly, what else are we going to discuss here?).

To reiterate what others said following this post, I do expect discussion and debate, but quips like "it's the Graziani & Corazza Effect at work" and other comments making generic statements about firms, particular styles, and locations just reinforce the narrow, fanboyesque inflexible type of debate so common on here.

Last edited:
To reiterate what others said following this post, I do expect discussion and debate, but quips like "it's the Graziani & Corazza Effect at work" and other comments making generic statements about firms, particular styles, and locations just reinforce the narrow, fanboyesque inflexible type of debate so common on here.

you mean these narrow, fanboyesque inflexible type of posts?

41779c61.png

b348e528.png

293f482b.png

68feaeb6.png

e0d2aa3a.png

3600936e.png

83812934.png

a1a72359.png

f7248773.png

17a56d74.png

5fcd4ccc.png

8b8cb19b.png