2.2K     3 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 728     0 

Visiting Toronto .. must see locations?

Desolate

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello,

Visiting Toronto for the first time. Have two days to wanderthe city without a car.

Going to be at Marriott at Yonge and Carlton.

Besides obvious things like CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame and wandering around the PATH is there anything I must see?

Thanks.

From Philadelphia where I know our transit system, history, architecture very well.

Not afraid of taking transit or walking. Not trying to spend an hour to get to a destination.

Thanks Again!

Is there a Marriott at Yonge and Carlton? I know the Day's Inn there. There are Marriotts at Bay and Dundas and at Yonge and Bloor. I can't remember there being one at Yonge and Carlton.

Desolate:

What are you interested? In general, I would recommend staying away from the "tourist traps" - CN Tower is neat (but somewhat expensive for what it offers), but even then doesn't give you a feel of the city, considering there isn't much worth seeing around that area. Try getting to the little neighbourhoods instead - from Distillery District, various ones along Queen St in the old City of Toronto, etc. In general, there are very few places that isn't safe for walking or transit in Toronto - though of course one has to be aware in certain areas of the city.

CDL:

Courtyard Marriott.

AoD

Last edited:
I would suggest that you not wander around the PATH. I worked for the City's Tourism Department and the number of people that get lost and end up wasting their time in the PATH is staggering. It's really just a bunch of food courts, Indigo Book Stores and Copy Shops geared towards employees that work in the towers above.

I think you should look for dinner in one of the neighbourhoods - Distillery District as well as maybe Little Italy or the Danforth (Greek).

As for touristy things to do, I'd suggest the Art gallery of Ontario which was just recently reopened with a re-design by Gehry. Probably worth the price of admission. The other typical tourist spot is the Royal Ontario Museum, but really other than seeing the new Lebskind "Crystal" addition, which is much better to see from outside anyways, the price of admission probably isn't worth it if you've been to other museums like the Field Museum, British Museum or the like.

I guess really, it all depends what you're into. I wouldn't say our Tourist attractions are "traps" in the traditional sense at all. The CN Tower is a bit pricy, but if it's a clear day it's probably worth doing. Really, at this time of year you'll spend no time waiting in line there, so you could waste an hour or so just checking out the view, and then move on with other things.

I would suggest that you not wander around the PATH. I worked for the City's Tourism Department and the number of people that get lost and end up wasting their time in the PATH is staggering. It's really just a bunch of food courts, Indigo Book Stores and Copy Shops geared towards employees that work in the towers above.

I think you should look for dinner in one of the neighbourhoods - Distillery District as well as maybe Little Italy or the Danforth (Greek).

As for touristy things to do, I'd suggest the Art gallery of Ontario which was just recently reopened with a re-design by Gehry. Probably worth the price of admission. The other typical tourist spot is the Royal Ontario Museum, but really other than seeing the new Lebskind "Crystal" addition, which is much better to see from outside anyways, the price of admission probably isn't worth it if you've been to other museums like the Field Museum, British Museum or the like.

I guess really, it all depends what you're into. I wouldn't say our Tourist attractions are "traps" in the traditional sense at all. The CN Tower is a bit pricy, but if it's a clear day it's probably worth doing. Really, at this time of year you'll spend no time waiting in line there, so you could waste an hour or so just checking out the view, and then move on with other things.

I think that the general "to do" items have been listed - but as stated it is always what you are really interested. For me, the thing that is number one important when I visit a city - is the food (can you bring some cheesesteaks :rolleyes:). I sometimes get around to visiting "important" sites - but it is food food food!

For me, next on to sashimiland!

Even though our waterfront is pretty dead during the winter, I'd definitely take stroll from York St. to the Music Garden and then take the Queens Quay streetcar back to Union or get off a bit earlier and head to the CN Tower.

If you're going to go up to the CN Tower, my rule of thumb for visiting observation decks is to go an hour or so before sunset. That way you get to see the city during the day, then see the sun set, and then see is during the night. Best bang for your buck IMO.

I think a walk along Queen Street gives you just about the best that an urban Toronto has to offer. Walk as far as you can before you drop. Stop for eats somewhere fun. Stop for drinks (a few times) at places that look cool. Browse both funky and boutique stores. Enjoy the architecture and crowds, and just sort of soak up the atmosphere. Head back towards Yonge via King Street (a couple blocks south). Walk if you can or ride a streetcar which is a very 'Toronto' experience.

If you're looking for some 'sites' I'd second the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) suggestion and the Eaton Centre is an impressive shopping arcade. Walk around the St. Lawrence Market/Flat Iron area and venture east along King Street to the Distillery. In the evening try and see a show at one of the beautiful older theatres (The Royal Alexandra, The Elgin/Wintergarden, The Canon) and catch some Second City improv too. Have fun.

When are you coming? A trip in June or September is, in my mind, much more representative of the city at its best than a visit in February or March. In April, you could go either way. It could be the most gorgeous 74F weekend where the city just opens up or freezing rain coming in sideways.

By the way, some Toronto/Philly analogies:

Kensington Market = Italian Market (but more West Indian/hipster)
Queen Street West = South Street (but longer)
Ossington and Queen = Northern Liberties
Bloor/Yorkville = Rittenhouse Square

That is, unless you (a) have a reasonable sense of direction and know what you're doing, and (b) do so within office hours. Generic as the retail may be, there's a real heart-of-the-financial-district energy to be felt...

I seriously hope that you aren't one day in charge of Tourism operations at any level.

^What's so great about PATH? It's a Flinstonesesque recurring background of midmarket chain store shopping that just happens to be under bank towers. Besides, the Montreal one is bigger.

I'd recommend

1)the Annex (Harbord/Bloor St West/Dupont/Palmerston/Avenue Rd)

2)the Beach (Queen East)--just take the streetcar from one end of Queen St to the other--$6 and 4 hours well spent!

3)Queen St West (Spadina to Roncevalles, about a 2 hour stroll and well worth it!)

4)Roncevalles--contining the walk from Queen St West, maybe another 30 minutes

5)Eglinton and Yonge north to Lawrence

6)Mount Pleasant--St Clair to Eglinton (Yonge St excluded)

7)Kensington Market

8)Yorkville

9)King St East

10)Up Ossington to Dundas St West to about Dufferin (then down to Queen St West via Dovercourt Rd or Lisgar)

11)Baldwin/McCaul/AGO

12)College St West from Spadina to Ossington

13)Forest Hill Village (Spadina and St Clair)

14)Cabbagetown

Avoid: Yonge St, east to Parliament, Queen St West from Yonge to Spadina, the office district and anything north of Eglinton

Last edited:
^What's so great about PATH? It's a Flinstonesesque recurring background of midmarket chain store shopping that just happens to be under bank towers. Besides, the Montreal one is bigger.

It ain't the shopping, it's the people. Remember: I'm specifying "within office hours" (esp. morning/evening rush or lunchtime), as opposed to weekends or holidays, when it truly is a useless (except in inclement weather) deadsville. Nor am I discouraging counterbalancing it with a little overground as well.

It's kind of a social-anthropology-meets-civic-tourism approach that I'm advancing.

I seriously hope that you aren't one day in charge of Tourism operations at any level.

Then stop treating tourists as dumb cluck nitwits. They--or certain among them--might have a subtler curiosity about Toronto than you realize.

Just as I'd have about Philadelphia.

Back