Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Exploring the Future Office Spaces of Allied REIT's QRC West
ALSO
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbuilt Toronto projects on Sketchup

Default Unbuilt Toronto projects on Sketchup

After checking out the ROM Exhibit and reading Mark Osbaldeston's book Unbuilt Toronto (and chatting with him over email), I became inspired to build and render 3D models of some of the projects that were featured in the book.

Actually I've already produced some models of unbuilt Toronto buildings before this- I've done a model of Eaton's College Street, the Weston Skyscraper, Eaton's/John Maryon Tower and some older 1 Bloor East designs (plus some models of buildings that became unbuilt after I did them, such as Sapphire Tower). However the book pushed this to a bit of a frenzy now.

Take a look at some of my recent works... (you can follow my latest progress on my Flickr photostream, or check out my collection on the Google 3D Warehouse)

Eaton's College Street

I did this model before reading the book. However, this week I found some aerial photos on the City of Toronto archives website that I though was perfect for a photomontage of the model onto the Toronto skyline...

Original Eaton Centre Proposal (1965)

I made this model last weekend, and placed this in context with New City Hall, Sheraton Centre and The Bay Queen Street in the model. I also used the clock tower from my Old City Hall model.

To get the clock tower, I had to dismantle the Old City Hall model. Surprisingly (as a lover of historic architecture), I did not shed a tear over OCH's "virtual" demise.

2. Default

Awesome work! Is there any way to put the Eaton's building in a modern context?

Thank god they didn't tear down Old City Hall, especially for those....

I'm actually sad those City Hall towers weren't built, as plain as they are. Nice and tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Advance View Post
    I'm actually sad those City Hall towers weren't built, as plain as they are. Nice and tall.
    At the sake of losing Old City Hall?
    “Our roads are not here for automobiles. Our roads are here for people to get around.” - Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City - July 10, 2012

Original photographic images posted on this forum by dt_toronto_geek are not for publication, display or dissemination of any kind except on the Urban Toronto discussion board, altered or otherwise, without expressed written permission from the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by dt_toronto_geek View Post
    Absolutely not. In a location where the demolition of an existing structure would not be necessary. I like this complex of buildings a lot. They have a slim, imposing austerity that appeals to me in skyscraper architecture.

6. Default

There's something admirable to the boldness of that proposal. Those open plazas could have been extraordinary. The cohesiveness of that area downtown could have gone down in time as extremely positive.

Yet I'm thankful that Old City Hall was spared. It's a wonderful landmark, and the diversity of architecture is worthwhile as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Advance View Post
    You'd better run!

Ohhhhhh....that was lame.
    Last edited by unimaginative2; 2008-Nov-22 at 19:36. Reason: To note that my attempt at humour was lame.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by junctionist View Post
    There's something admirable to the boldness of that proposal. Those open plazas could have been extraordinary.
    Yes, extraordinarily unpleasant, especially in winter with the wind howling and the snow blowing in sub-zero temperatures. I much prefer the Eaton Centre we got instead.

Interesting, though, that they saw fit to save Holy Trinity...

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jaborandi View Post
    Yes, extraordinarily unpleasant, especially in winter with the wind howling and the snow blowing in sub-zero temperatures. I much prefer the Eaton Centre we got instead.
    With cafes like these, you could still enjoy the space in the winter.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dt_toronto_geek View Post
    There was actually two plans back then,i believe that Plan B was to keep the Old City Hall and build a couple of 70-80 story buildings north and east of it.

12. Arrow

My God ... Eaton's College St. would have been a veritable beast.

13. Default

Any idea how tall (in feet)?

Eaton's College Street would've been 670' tall. I really wish it'd been built, as it would've been pretty spectacular.

The city would be so different today if they had built the Eatons on College tower. It is hard to wrap your head around.

I'm thankful that the Eaton Centre, aka White TD Compelx, never saw the light of day. Thanks for putting this up Wylie, they are fun to view.
    ---

All glory to the hypnotoad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast