Summerhill GO Station Proposal

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Train hub hullabaloo
Residents Bristle As GO Proposes 'Second Union Station' In Rosedale
Kelly Patrick, National Post
Published: Saturday, September 01, 2007

Every weekday at the zenith of the morning rush hour, as many as 60,000 commuters ride 35 GO trains into Union Station, where they elbow and shove their way through the hordes to the streets and offices beyond.

GO's rail service from the suburbs to Union is already at capacity between 7:15 a.m. and 8:15 a.m. most weekdays.

That is why, with thousands more people expected to stream into the station over the next decade or two as GO train service expands across the GTA, the provincially owned commuter rail service has begun to quietly explore building a second Union Station in one of Toronto's most exclusive neighbourhoods.
A rail line is located at Yonge Street and Scrivener Square, where what was once the Canadian Pacific Railway's North Toronto Station has been converted into a LCBO outlet.View Larger Image View Larger Image
A rail line is located at Yonge Street and Scrivener Square, where what was once the Canadian Pacific Railway's North Toronto Station has been converted into a LCBO outlet.

The proposed site is in the heart of Rosedale, on Yonge Street just south of Summerhill Avenue, a location that until the late 1920s housed the Canadian Pacific Railway's North Toronto Station.

Today the station is a lavish LCBO. However, the old platforms and the CP rail corridor are still there and the TTC's Summerhill subway station is nearby.

All these attributes make Summerhill the obvious place to put a new terminal, says Gary McNeil, GO Transit's managing director and chief executive.

"It's very, very logical that there be a station here because there is an existing station there right now," Mr. McNeil said in an interview.

"It's 10-plus years away, but we've got to start protecting the land for it today. It's amazing how fast 10 years go by."

Some locals are already bristling at the thought of their tony neighbourhood turning into a commuter hub.

Paul Oberman is especially averse to the idea. His Woodcliffe Corporation owns the refurbished North Toronto station and most of the surrounding block.

He has a simple message for GO officials: "The land is not for sale."

It is easy to see why Mr. Oberman wants to hang on to this parcel of land and buildings, which he purchased from CP's old real estate arm in 1996.

Multi-million-dollar homes and their well-off inhabitants abut Woodcliffe's Yonge Street promenade from Shaftesbury Avenue to Price Street, just south of the Summerhill LCBO.

Stroll down the street and you will find the high-end food shops long known as the Five Thieves, which together possess the charm of a European market.

The block is currently being reconstructed and Woodcliffe has a long-term lease with the food shops, Mr. Oberman says. Woodcliffe also has a 25-year lease with the LCBO.

The LCBO's aisles are labelled as "tracks." A poster explaining the history of the station, which closed to rail traffic in the late 1920s, hangs over baskets of Chardonnay and Chianti Reserve.

Wine samplings are hosted in the "Tasting Tower," beneath a clock tower inspired by the camponile in St. Mark's Square in Venice.

Christopher Parke, a longtime resident of the neighbourhood who sat smoking at a table outside the store recently, called turning this venerable pocket of the city into a commuter hub, "a ridiculous idea."

"It would radically change this area," Mr. Parke said. Pointing to the condos behind the LCBO, he said "For those people who could be living next to a train yard, I'm sure they'll castrate or suitably harm their city councillor if this goes ahead."

But Susan Bowman, the chief operating officer of fine food purveyor All The Best -- one of the Five Thieves -- the proposal could mean a steady stream of new customers.

"From a business perspective, if it were possible, it would be fabulous. There'd be thousands of commuters coming through here every day," she said.

Mr. McNeil stressed that GO would not move ahead with its Summerhill plan without environmental assessments and public consultations, none of which will be conducted until the plan is much closer to reality.

GO Transit's timeline for making Rosedale a commuter hub depends on a raft of what-ifs and when-ifs, but the biggest factor will not be North Toronto -- it will be North Pickering.

In about two years, construction is slated to begin on the Seaton community in north Pickering. The province expects 70,000 people to live there and 35,000 to work there when the development is completed in 20 years.

As it happens, the CP rail corridor that serves Seaton runs through Rosedale, setting up Summerhill as a potential new hub. A new Seaton train would become the first GO line not to terminate at Union Station.

"We know we can't bring a fully new line into Union Station," Mr. McNeil, the GO Transit boss, said. "So as the development starts to happen there, that's when we would start really looking at Summerhill as a viable alternative."

Mr. McNeil expects some of the trains on the Milton line would be re-routed to Summerhill too, after the Seaton line is up and running.

The idea faces other hurdles. Besides acquiring the land and the North Toronto station from an owner averse to selling, GO would have to negotiate use of the tracks from CP, which currently runs about 100 freight trains daily on the portion of the line that cuts through Toronto, Mr. McNeil said.

The TTC would also have to get on board. Adam Giambrone, the chair of the TTC, said he does not necessarily oppose locating a new Union Station at Summerhill, but he would "prefer" a spot near Dupont station, on the less-crowded University subway line.

"Anything we can do to shift passengers over to the University Line is good, because southbound in rush hour its not anyway near capacity," Mr. Giambrone said.

As well, Mr. Giambrone said about 95% of the GO passengers who disembark at Union Station walk to their destinations.

(Mr. McNeil put the figure closer to 80%.)

Mr. Giambrone fears riders' aversion to paying a second fare for a TTC ride could be a problem at a Summerhill GO terminal, but Mr. McNeil said he expects plans for a universal fare card to fix that dilemma.

In the meantime, GO is working on other ways to increase its rush hour capacity at Union Station. This fall the first of 26 new, more powerful locomotives -- which cost about $5-million each -- will begin arriving.

Capable of pulling a heavier load, the new engines will allow GO to expand its trains from 10 cars to 12, meaning as many as 2,000 people will be able to fit on one train. That is up from between 1,500 and 1,800 now.

GO has also begun building a new south platform at Union whose initial purpose is to allow for the reconstruction of the train shed's roof.

When that work is done in about four years there will be room for six more GO trains at rush hour's peak.

Still, none of these steps will erase the need for a new commuter rail terminal at Summerhill, according to Mr. McNeil.

"In the grand scheme of things, GO Transit needs to be on every single rail corridor in the GTA," Mr. McNeil said.

"People have to recognize if they want a good environment they have to deal with trains going by them."

kpatrick@nationalpost.com

GO has also begun building a new south platform ...

When that work is done in about four years there will be room for six more GO trains at rush hour's peak.

This demonstrates the huge difference in dwell time between single and bi/tri-level cars. It takes 10 minutes to load ~1500 to ~1800 people onto a tri-level go train from empty. Very few people getting off. Loading/unloading occurs on both sides of the car.

It only takes about 3 minutes to unload 1000 people and load another ~1000 people on through a single side of a subway train.

Those stairs are a killer for dwell times.

I would have thought one train every 5 minutes per platform would be possible at Union with the signalling system improvements were complete.

Looking forward to single level electrified trains running every 5 to 10 minutes on the LakeShore line.

GO Transit in Uptown Toronto?

Rdaner: Interesting article on GO Transit trains serving Uptown Toronto. If it is planned correctly and issues like potential NIMBY opposition can be worked out I say why not?
I do agree with Adam Giambrone's statement on serving Dupont Station-it probably would be a good alternative to the at-capacity or even higher Yonge line. Transfer stations at the TTCs Summerhill or Rosedale and Dupont stations can both be built-giving transferring riders choice of both.
RBT: I do feel that faster MU trains could mean faster service but GO will not abandon their investments in more than 20 years of bilevel cars. I think that if the line is electrified that if electric locomotives are acquired for Lakeshore service or single-level MU cars-like those used by the Metro-North Commuter Railroad New Haven lines or SEPTA's new Silverliner 5 cars now on order for Philadelphia commuter service can boost Lakeshore service. Coming now to mind is Maryland's MARC commuter rail-they use AEM7(4) and HHP8(6) electric locomotives in service on their electrified Penn line-along with their own Kawasaki bilevel cars between Washington,DC and Baltimore going as far E as Perryville,MD at this time - about 75 or so miles total. What I feel should and probably will happen is if that GO Transit electrifies the Lakeshore Line and gets new MU cars the existing cars will be used to beef up service on the other lines and make some of those far-away extensions possible: Niagara Falls? Kitchener/Waterloo? Peterborough? Barrie/Orillia? Let's see how this issue pans out over time-it should be interesting! LI MIKE

Why not have two stations? One at the University Line, and another at the Yonge Line? If I were coming from the Milton Line I could just get off at the University Line station and ride south instead of staying on the train longer.

Exactly. Especially with smaller trains, which I hope we will see. The NIMBY threat is probably somewhat overblown; the immediate vicinity of the LCBO/Summerhill Station is not especially residential, and what there is is practically all condos and new-build townhouses--in other words, these are not the city's moneyed powerbrokers.

I wish that GO would drop this "second Union Station" moniker, since it's both inaccurate and inflammatory. It's not like we're talking about, oh, 15 or 20 platforms and a massive shopping concourse--I suspect it would be more like three, and a newsstand.

Lost in this discussion is the fact the Scrivener Square is almost certainly going to see major development soon--I interpret the current Woodcliffe restoration of the Five Thieves block as a pre-emptive attempt to suck up to the neighborhood before proposing a high-rise.

One 'problem' with a Midtown GO line is that there's almost too many potentially great station locations...overburdened, unwieldly GO trains that run 4 times a day would be such a waste on a line with well-located (and actually useful) urban stations every 2-3km. By the time the line sees service, though, hopefully something a little more...flexible? will be run there.

I don't think there was any mention of a midtown go line in the article was there? There was talk of a Seaton line and rerouting some Milton trains to Summerhill. I think both ideas are good. It would be fabulous for CP's old North Toronto station to see service as an actual train station once again! It would be like reclaiming history.

CC: I think the concept is one continuous crosstown line, extending from Milton on the west, through Mississauga and Etobicoke as at present on the CP line, but then continuing across "midtown" on the CP line rather than going to Union Station. Once east of Yonge, the line cuts in a generally northeastward direction, eventually going out to the proposed Seaton community.

I agree that an obvious benefit would be that a number of stations could be established, not just one or two as the article seems to be presupposing (or perhaps this is felt to be too speculative to really discuss yet).

You could bet that CP would be less than enthusiastic about this. Also, NIMBYs would surely spring up to oppose it in a number of neighbourhoods, not just around Summerhill station. Keep in mind that this would be perceived as a project to benefit those inconvenient people out in the burbs; very few in Toronto itself would see it as a benefit to themselves.

NE of Summerhill, the line's potential station locations are close to eerily perfect as far as transit connections go, such as Don Mills & Eglinton, Victoria Park & Lawrence, Warden & Ellesmere, Agincourt, Malvern, etc.

As an area resident (that rents, I can't quite afford a Rosedale mansion yet :)), I can easily understand why there is so much objection. The strip of Yonge between Davenport and St. Clair is quite charming, and it's definitely part of the appeal of living here. Whether the threat is real or not, residents are afraid that "Main St. Rosedale" as it is called may start to resemble Yonge and Bloor, which may as well be worlds away.

My own thoughts are that 95% of the people who will use this station will transfer directly to the subway via a new underground walkway that will likely be built. From the street, you'll hardly even notice a difference. Furthermore, I don't think that a bunch of white collar commuters are much of a threat either. I would completely support a Summerhill GO station, and would hope that the interests of a few hundred people will not stand in the way of a major transit line that could benefit tens of thousands of people.

Regarding the impact to the subway, I would think that the main advantage to this GO line is that it opens up midtown employment hubs to GO commuters. I would guess that many of the people who might use the new service would ride the subway north to St. Clair or Eglinton. At worst, they'd head south to Yonge and Bloor. If a station is built on the poorly located Spadina line instead, it would completely defeat this purpose, rendering the crosstown GO line almost useless.

Paul Oberman is especially averse to the idea. His Woodcliffe Corporation owns the refurbished North Toronto station and most of the surrounding block.

I find it ironic that this man opposes a GO station because he claims it would not fit in with the surrounding area. The fact of the matter is that there is nothing uglier and more out of character for the area than the very condo community that he owns. The Scrivener Square development is ugly, and looks like it came straight out of Richmond Hill. It also boasts the only two substantial surface parking lots in Rosedale.

CC: I think the concept is one continuous crosstown line, extending from Milton on the west, through Mississauga and Etobicoke as at present on the CP line, but then continuing across "midtown" on the CP line rather than going to Union Station. Once east of Yonge, the line cuts in a generally northeastward direction, eventually going out to the proposed Seaton community.

I agree that an obvious benefit would be that a number of stations could be established, not just one or two as the article seems to be presupposing (or perhaps this is felt to be too speculative to really discuss yet).

You could bet that CP would be less than enthusiastic about this. Also, NIMBYs would surely spring up to oppose it in a number of neighbourhoods, not just around Summerhill station. Keep in mind that this would be perceived as a project to benefit those inconvenient people out in the burbs; very few in Toronto itself would see it as a benefit to themselves.

I didn't realize the trains would run continuously from one end (Milton) to the other (Seaton). That'd be pretty cool.

For some reason, I'm imagining a GO station around Summerhill in *Rosedale* (i.e. around where the orange footbridge is)--if only because it'd be a really "19th century Bosnywash affluent commuter suburb" affair...

There is talk about having the Richmond Hill line terminate at Summerhill also.

Having a station at Dupont would help TTC as the Yonge is overcrowded now. Then, some work along the Yonge line in the first place and not having a station at Summerhill will require riders a lot of back tracking and transferring to get to Yonge.

Milton line as well all GO lines will have all day service operating every 30 minutes or less 7 days a week. Having a second east west line will open up a new route for people to leave their car at home and cross Toronto a lot faster than the subway. If every other Milton line train is going to use the crosstown line, then that section will have a higher level of service not found on the Lakeshore line today. The Only problem is the fact ridership will be lower than the Lakeshore line.

CP line ROW can handle 4 tracks in most places and Summerhill as well Dupont can see 6 tracks with no problem at all. Just view the bridge and you can see the number of tracks it saw back in 1920's.

The problem for GO is getting trains through the Lampton Yard as well CP main Yard.

I think the idea of putting another hub, albeit small hub, in this area is a great idea- this should have been done ages ago, but I guess better late than never. We are light years behind when it comes to transit solutions, and this will/could really benifit our transit needs. Also, Mr. Oberman sounds he knows nothing at all- some of the best places I have been in the world, are located close to, or built right train stations..

----

The fact that GO still has to fight for track times and is often delayed because CN owns the majority of rail-lines in their network, boggles my mind. Why has Ontario not mandated that a certain amount of tracks- 2 at least be owned outright for GO trains? I waited at Union last week for 25 minutes on the GO train, because a CN train took priority..I understand they own the tracks, but wtf- enough already commuters and the public deserve better.

p5

Can definately understand the neighbours objections to adding a 'second union station' to the area. But, as has been noted already, that description is toxic. Rather, a GO midtown line with a connection at Summerhill makes perfect sense and should be communicated in a better way. Possibly call it the mid-town hub or the Subway/GO link - something more technical and with less rhetoric.

As for the 'second union station,' I still do not understand why this label isn't being pushed (and pushed hard) for Leslie Station. Perhaps because few GO trains actually pass through Oriele but, from a logistics sense, this area should be transformed into a northern Toronto transit hub. It gives commuters two options for getting downtown from that area - a rapid link to Union by GO or a slower, multi-stop TTC route. If communicated right, Leslie could actually become a very viable station. But that is off-topic.

Back