News   Mar 18, 2024
 624     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 737     0 

PATH Network Expansion (various, various, various)

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
We don't seem to have a thread dedicated to PATH network expansion, not one that I can currently find in any case. If someone does have an idea of a thread that the following should be connected to, post a suggestion below…

Neither do we have a thread regarding the Air Canada Centre which these images relate to specifically, again, not one which I can find at the moment, but…

To prepare for the PATH +15 bridge connection to the Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences and to WaterPark Place to the south, there is now work under way at the Air Canada Centre to improve the the PATH connection there, or at least there appears to be.

In the courtyard south of the Union Station south entrance…

P1380623.jpg

there is work along the west wall of the Air Canada Centre that I assume has something to do with improving the 2nd storey PATH passageway's connection to ground level. Currently there are only stairs (behind unceremonious metal crash doors in the Air Canada Centre) that connect the two levels, and the PATH network is supposed to be accessible of course.

P1380628.jpg

This looks like a pretty thin frame for a new elevator, but is that what this is for? And if it is, what happens when people arrive at ground level? Will there be a new ground level hallway built to make the connection, or will we have a weather-unprotected section? That doesn't make sense.

P1380626.jpg

What's going to be happening here? Anyone have the inside scoop?

Attachments

• P1380623.jpg
    P1380623.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 7,819
  • P1380626.jpg
    P1380626.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 6,766
  • P1380628.jpg
    P1380628.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 7,073
I wonder why they were so shortsighted about the PATH connection when they originally expanded the ACC. Now it just feels like they're tacking things onto it unceremoniously. Colour me unimpressed.

I wonder why they were so shortsighted about the PATH connection when they originally expanded the ACC. Now it just feels like they're tacking things onto it unceremoniously. Colour me unimpressed.

By "expanded the ACC" do you mean the project to extend the western lobby/entrance facing Maple Leaf Square?

It can't be an elevator since they've already capped it at the second floor. If it were an elevator, they would need additional room on top for the equipment. I also don't think that having an open section doesn't make sense.

Out of curiosity, who pays for additions to already built sections like this one? If you ask me, I think that the city should be responsible for covering at least some of the cost to ensure consistency/quality. Considering the number of stores down there, I'm sure they make more than enough revenue through taxes. By retail area alone, the PATH is now larger than the West Edmonton Mall, and one of the top 10 largest malls in the world.

It can't be an elevator since they've already capped it at the second floor. If it were an elevator, they would need additional room on top for the equipment. I also don't think that having an open section doesn't make sense.

Out of curiosity, who pays for additions to already built sections like this one? If you ask me, I think that the city should be responsible for covering at least some of the cost to ensure consistency/quality. Considering the number of stores down there, I'm sure they make more than enough revenue through taxes. By retail area alone, the PATH is now larger than the West Edmonton Mall, and one of the top 10 largest malls in the world.

It could be a hydraulic elevator and not need additional room on top for the mechanicals as with a hydraulic elevator the mechanicals would be underneath.

The +15 bridge is designed to be moved and remain open when moved to allow for maintenance to the Gardiner. It will (I believe) normally be "docked" in the western section, but will be moved overnight to the eastern section every once and a while to allow for access to the underside of the Gardiner.

Seriously? That amazes me that that was deemed the easiest solution to the problem of maintaining the underside of the Gardiner. I'd have assumed it would be easier to just stand on top of the bridge. Or is there no height clearance?

no clearance, in order to give enough room for cars on Lakeshore the bridge essentially has to be right up against the underside of the Gardiner.

Possible construction of the new path walkway from the ACC to 1 York

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

New entrance from the ACC
photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 5,055
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4,977
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 5,347
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 4,950
Last edited:
The hoarding on site now suggests that this will be the storefront for Real Sports which has closed down its store in the podium of 65 Bremner. Sportschek will be moving into their old location.

Two PATH extensions of three currently under way:

Doors for northwest PATH Extension under Front:
P1390620.jpg

West connection from the Delta to the Skywalk:
Garage entry to Delta on Lower Simcoe with coming PATH bridge above.
GP1390618.jpg

Skywalk corner where the new connection will be made across Lower Simcoe.
HP1390619.jpg

PATH bridge pillar coming here.
IP1390601.jpg

Looking across to the Delta connection point.
JP1390594.jpg

Attachments

• P1390620.jpg
    P1390620.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 4,075
  • GP1390618.jpg
    GP1390618.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 4,057
  • HP1390619.jpg
    HP1390619.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4,052
  • IP1390601.jpg