News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

BlackBerry

CityPlaceN1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just finished watching the announcement for BlackBerry 10. I wasn't very impressed. I gave up on them a couple of years ago and I'm not sure the announcement is enough to get me to switch back from the iPhone. Anybody have any thoughts?

I have been a BB user since 2010. I am considering both new BlackBerry models but still waiting on reviews to come out. If it doesn't impress me then I guess I will be replacing my Bold 9700 with an android or windows phone (I don't do the whole Apple thing)

It amazes me how their stock doesn't plummet anytime their soulless CEO makes an appearance.

Heh...yeah he's not exactly the greatest public speaker, is he (although I think "soulless" may be a bit harsh).

I'm pretty impressed with the new phones; they're getting generally great reviews online except for the expected comments about the apps (they have most of the big-name ones but a few are still missing...I don't really use that many apps myself but I can see how that's a big deal for some people) and I've also seen some negative comments about battery life, but I also hear that they may have improved upon that with the actual shipping models so we'll see I guess.

Pretty much all the comments I've seen about the user interface itself say that it's better than Android (and better than Apple, obviously, but that's not hard these days) and that once you've been using it for a day or two you won't want to go back...that's a pretty good review in my books. Not sure if I'll get one right away, but it's looking pretty good so far.

I'm sticking with my Palm Treo

1330690443-palm-treo-650-1592.jpg

Attachments

• 1330690443-palm-treo-650-1592.jpg
    1330690443-palm-treo-650-1592.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,194
They are going for the business types I would think. I can't picture a suit with a godzilla sized cell phone sticking out of his pocket. The phablets are cool but they are for a different market entirely. I personally think phablets are silly. Too big to be a phone, too small to be a tablet. I see the advantages but BlackBerry got burned with their playbook and I doubt they would risk the little they have left on (forgive me) a passing trend.

I've had a BlackBerry since 2007. It was and always has been a business device for me. After 2 hardware upgrades, I'm currently using a Bold 9780 and it's great. My wife has an iPhone and while it's definitely cooler, prettier and more versatile, I primarily use my BB for e-mails, text messages and ocassional browsing. In the business world, I still see a lot of BlackBerrys, some iPhones and slowly more Samsung Galaxys.

BB10 wont save RIM....yes there are people who are loyal to Rim but the market is changing so quickly that RIM cannot keep up.I take the new Nokia over BB10 but I love my Samsung III.

"It amazes me how their stock doesn't plummet anytime their soulless CEO makes an appearance."

Actually if you believe Jim Collins research presented in his book "Good to Great", souless CEO's with little charisma aren't the one's you need to worry about. The one's you need to worry about are the one's where you actually know their name.

I have no knowledge or comment of how well RIM or Blackberry or whatever it is now will do. I suspect it won't survive as a stand-alone company. I also believe Apple has an enduring brand and culture; however, history would prove that it is Apple, based on the personality of it's former founder and CEO that will also struggle. History would suggest you should be shorting Apple stock too even if you think RIM is toast.

By the way, other findings of Collin's team were that being in a "hot" industry like Blackberry and Apple are today, and technological change in general are fairly irrelevent in determining how well a company performs over time.

I'm officially done with Blackberry. I've had one since 2004. My company-issue Bold's camera doesn't have a focus function, the BB map app is ridiculous, and the USB interface with my pc is downright stupid. Add in the lack of apps and downtime, I'm done.

Being also displeased with my company-issue Samsung Galaxy GT-P7500R, I couldn't give money to Samsung, and Apple isn't an option on my company's plan. So, I'm getting a Nokia Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone. My mates at the office really like theirs, so we'll see. I like Windows 8 on my pc, thought it took me a while to like the apps - now at age 43, I grew up with Windows 3.0, after my Commodore 128 that is.

I'm officially done with Blackberry. I've had one since 2004. My company-issue Bold's camera doesn't have a focus function, the BB map app is ridiculous, and the USB interface with my pc is downright stupid. Add in the lack of apps and downtime, I'm done.

Being also displeased with my company-issue Samsung Galaxy GT-P7500R, I couldn't give money to Samsung, and Apple isn't an option on my company's plan. So, I'm getting a Nokia Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone. My mates at the office really like theirs, so we'll see. I like Windows 8 on my pc, thought it took me a while to like the apps - now at age 43, I grew up with Windows 3.0, after my Commodore 128 that is.

Did you check out any BB10 devices before moving to windows phone? They're nothing like your BB7OS device (I assume that you had a Bold 9900...I had one too; it was a good phone when it first came out in 2011, but to assume that a three-year old Blackberry is indicative of the experience you'll get on the current models is sort of silly). If you don't like Blackberry Maps (which I don't), just use Google Maps. Also, most Android apps will now run on BB10 phones, making the "app gap" relatively negligible (and also a strange complaint if you've decided to go with a Windows phone, which has much fewer apps available than the new Blackberries).

That being said, if the camera is your first priority then I have heard that the Lumia phones are the way to go. My Blackberry Z10's camera is fine (and has a focus function), but from what I've read Nokia really put a lot of effort into their cameras.

Got the Nokia 1020 last week. Holy smokes, the camera is something else. 42 mega pixels. Took it to Beach parade today, fantastic pics.

temporary_zps63447081.jpg

temporary_zps30342f21.jpg

I'm loving the live tiles on WP, and the apps are great, though I imagine no where as plentiful as Android.

You're right, I had a Bold 9900, so my comparison is not entirely fair. However, I'm not convinced that BB will be around, and they just seem to be yesterday's news, sort of like the last years of the Palm Treo. That said I'm missing BBM, and have to wait until the summer for the WP version.

Last edited:
This being a Toronto forum...and a BlackBerry thread...

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-outselling-iphone-toronto-canada/

BlackBerry is Outselling the iPhone in Toronto, Canada

Jun 11, 2014 2 1733

There are near daily doom an gloom articles and analysis, which paints a dark picture for BlackBerry sales.

While BlackBerry sales may be struggling in key markets around the world, BlackBerry is still succeeding in one: Toronto, Canada.

This data was aggregated over the past six months from independent wireless retailers serviced by iQmetrix, a Vancouver-based firm that provides retail management software to such retailers across North America.

iQmetrix, which based its figures on sampled data from 15,000 stores in North America, shows BlackBerry devices accounted for 23% of sales in Toronto between December 2013 and May 2014. This amounts to 29% of the company’s overall sales in Canada and the U.S.

Samsung, however, dominated with 35% of sales in the city, while Apple only managed to garner up 20%.

How did BlackBerry do in other cities around Canada? Not quite as well. In Montreal, the company lagged behind LG. In Vancouver, BlackBerry only captured 9% of sales, while Samsung garnered 35% and Apple 22%.

Some have speculated the reason for BlackBerry doing so well in Toronto is due to the city being a hub for business professionals.

Another article: http://business.financialpost.com/2014/06/10/blackberry-ltd-sales-toronto/?__lsa=62f2-c7d3

fp0611_blackberry_c_jr.jpg

Back