News   Apr 24, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 548     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 488     0 

BlackBerry

Blackberry is finally following my advice: making a phablet. With a qwerty keyboard. Who are these BB users in Toronto? I never see them. :p

Hehe, I'm one of the few who actually still uses a BB. I do feel like the odd person out when I'm in public though. :p

The sad thing I have to admit is that my hardware upgrade is due in a couple of weeks...and I'm almost certain that I'll be switching over to an iPhone or Galaxy device.

Hehe, I'm one of the few who actually still uses a BB. I do feel like the odd person out when I'm in public though. :p

The sad thing I have to admit is that my hardware upgrade is due in a couple of weeks...and I'm almost certain that I'll be switching over to an iPhone or Galaxy device.

I bought a z10 when it came out. The phone has no issues. It doesnt freeze, its fast, I drop it all the time and it never breaks. BUT it doesnt have a keyboard. Maybe I have lived without apps for so long they dont sway me but today I was craigslisting a Q10 because I miss my keyboard sooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... But hey have fun converting to a zombie.

Why?

That "passport" that Chen introduced yesterday looks cool.....but both my current BBs (Z10 personally and Z30 for work) are great pieces of hardware that are reliable secure and fast.

Y'know, I did say I was moving on from BlackBerry's handsets...but after seeing more information on the Passport, I think I'm willing to give this one a chance. It looks pretty good from the leaks that I've seen. Hopefully it will be released in September so that I can give it a whirl. I really want to like it so I have my fingers crossed.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/22612/blackberry-passport-the-most-unique-phone-of-2014

passport_hands_on_intro.jpg

side_view_passport_0.jpg

passport_hands_on_15_final.jpg

Y'know, I did say I was moving on from BlackBerry's handsets...but after seeing more information on the Passport, I think I'm willing to give this one a chance. It looks pretty good from the leaks that I've seen. Hopefully it will be released in September so that I can give it a whirl. I really want to like it so I have my fingers crossed.

I'm thinking of getting the passport when it comes out as well...I'll definitely have to check it out in person first, though. Looks like it may be a bit wide to fit in a pocket easily.

That being said, if you weren't switching phones because you had to (work phone, etc.), why were you considering switching from Blackberry to Android, if you don't mind me asking?

I also thought that it might seem a touch wide but most of the reviews I've read noted that it does indeed fit into your pocket as it is geared towards the business user.

I'm officially due for an upgrade but I definitely don't have to upgrade. I simply want to. My BlackBerry Bold 9780 is 3 years old and I'm looking for a business phone that has a bigger screen and smoother/faster browsing. A friend of mine has the Samsung Note and, as old as it is, it blows my Bold away. The one thing I do like better on my phone, however, is the keypad since I type a lot on it.

Here's hoping that the Passport is all that it seems to be!

I also thought that it might seem a touch wide but most of the reviews I've read noted that it does indeed fit into your pocket as it is geared towards the business user.

I'm officially due for an upgrade but I definitely don't have to upgrade. I simply want to. My BlackBerry Bold 9780 is 3 years old and I'm looking for a business phone that has a bigger screen and smoother/faster browsing. A friend of mine has the Samsung Note and, as old as it is, it blows my Bold away. The one thing I do like better on my phone, however, is the keypad since I type a lot on it.

Here's hoping that the Passport is all that it seems to be!

I agree. And even if you don't end up liking the passport, you should at least check out the Q10 or the new Blackberry classic. They both have keyboards and they run a completely different operating system (Blackberry 10) from your old 9780...they're really nothing like the old Blackberries.

Don't write off a full-screen phone just yet, though. I moved from a Blackberry 9900 to a Z10 and I don't think I'm ever going to go back to a keyboard phone (except maybe for the passport, if it's as good as it looks).

So I was just chatting with an individual in corporate IT solutions and he said that a lot of people, and these are fairly tech-savvy people, had made recent switches back to BlackBerry Q and Z phones after trying out their most recent 10.2 OS. They flat out say that it's simply faster and more flexible than any other operating system on the market.

When I looked at the Z30, I do have to admit that it is way, way better than my Bold 9780. It'll be interesting come Sept 24th when the Passport is released though. Looking forward to it...

Some interesting news today that BlackBerry has acquired Movirtu, a startup company, which will essentially allow for 2 unique phone devices or numbers to be operated on one handset. It's intended for corporate users who would otherwise have 1 phone for their personal use and another phone for their business use. Interesting...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/tech...woo-more-corporate-customers/article20531197/

BlackBerry buys Movirtu in bid to woo more corporate customers
EUAN ROCHA AND ALINA SELYUKH
TORONTO/LAS VEGAS — Reuters

Published Thursday, Sep. 11 2014, 9:08 AM EDT

BlackBerry Ltd said on Thursday it has acquired Movirtu, a provider of virtual identity solutions, as part of its move to continue building out its portfolio of value-added services that cater to the needs of its core base of corporate and government clients.

Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry said Movirtu’s virtual SIM technology allows an individual to have both a personal and business number on a single mobile device, with separate billing for voice, data and messaging usage on each number.

This allows employees to switch between work and personal profiles easily without carrying multiple devices or SIM cards.

“Clearly this fits nicely within the strategy we have so far articulated. We are building recurring revenue streams in value-added services and providing more value to enterprises” the head of BlackBerry’s enterprise unit John Sims said in an interview.

The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

The company, which dominated the smartphone market in its infancy, has been re-shaping itself over the course of the last year as its devices have lost ground to Apple’s iPhone and a slew of rival devices powered by Google’s Android operating system.

Under the leadership of its new chief executive John Chen, the company has moved rapidly to stabilize itself by selling non-core assets, partnering to make its manufacturing and supply chain more efficient, and raising cash via the sale of its vast real estate holdings.

Chen, a well-regarded turnaround artist in the tech sector, intends to remain a competitor in the smartphone arena, but is focused on re-shaping the company to build on its core strengths in areas like mobile data security and mobile device management.

The company has been making small acquisitions in the last few months, as it looks to build out its offerings for so-called enterprise clients that comprise primarily of large corporations and government agencies that are in many cases still major users of Blackberry devices.

In July, it announced it was buying Secusmart, a privately held German firm that specializes in voice and data encryption, in an attempt to burnish its credentials with highly security-conscious clients like government agencies.

BlackBerry said the acquisition of Movirtu complements its Secure Work Space, BlackBerry Balance and other offerings, which give many employees the freedom and privacy they want for their personal use while delivering the security and management needed for business use of smartphone devices.

Sims, who spoke with Reuters at an industry conference in Las Vegas, said he sees mobile device management as a commoditized space currently with rivals like Good Technology and AirWatch jumping into the fray. He stressed, however, that BlackBerry plans to stay ahead of the game by offering value-added services like the ones acquired via the Movirtu and Secusmart deals.

My wife's side of the family is big on Blackberry phones. I think that they still have a place in the mobile market, especially considering that the network security is far better than an Apple or Android device.

So while most industry folk, including BlackBerry themselves, have already acknowledged that smartphone sales are not going to be a major part of BlackBerry's turnaround success, they are coming out with some pretty nice phones, as they have in the past (we can forget about the BlackBerry Storm era, of course).

I'm never one to fall into the marketing shtick but this Porsche Design BB phone does look pretty nice. I've always said that BlackBerry phones are like the Porsches of the smartphone world while most other handsets range from Teslas down to Audis down to Toyotas.

Here's the Porsche Design P'9983:
p9983_keyvisual_m.jpg

Link for writeup: http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/09/unboxing-porsche-design-p9983/

[video=youtube;9BAE_oRlEc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BAE_oRlEc8[/video]

So the BlackBerry Passport was officially released last week. I've tried to get hold of one at the Rogers store but they're not getting them for another 2 weeks. Apparently the first 200,000 units have already been sold out. Being someone who uses his phone for business, I'm very interested in trying out this new device. If anyone's been able to try it out and would like to provide their comments and feedback, I'm sure I, and others here, would be more than happy to hear about it!

Back