News   Apr 17, 2024
 462     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Eaton Centre IV (Cadillac Fairview, 1 million sf office space)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Credit goes to urbandreamer, as he posted this link last night on his Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/#!/urban__dreamer

http://www.realestateforums.com/torontoref/docs/2011/PPT/Barry_Lyon_A2.pdf

Scroll down, to about 1/3rd of the .pdf file to the coming office buildings section. States that there will be 1 million sf of office space. Completion is speculated to be 2016/17.

This matches the rumours swirling in the BAC2 thread, about a potential new tower at the SE end of the Eaton Centre.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...t-Tower-(Brookfield-43s-)?p=601811#post601811

Last edited:
Hmmm...the 3 big ones are coming in 2016/17, total 3.3 million sq. ft...that means breaking ground in the next year or two.

45 Bay... 1.3 mil/sq.ft
43 Simcoe... 1 mil/sq.ft.
E.C. IV... 1 mil/sq.ft.

Rumour also has the proposed RAC-2 now being 1 mil/sq.ft.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Travis!

It looks to me like they're using a thumbnail of a quickie rendering of mine. (#7 on page 21). Har!

It's nice to see the Toronto Star lands listed as a 'Fringe New Development' on page 20, and 45 Bay noted on page 21. That does give hope!

Where on earth will they be able to fit this tower at the Eaton Centre? I thought the large middle tower was the last one planned for in the foundations of the complex.

I remember being told, when 250 Yonge was being built, that foundations for yet another tower, at the south end of the Yonge Street parkade, had been set up when the south end of the Eaton Centre was built. The foundations for the two towers, 250 Yonge and the as of yet still unbuilt south tower, were there in anticipation of future construction of additional office towers.

Note p. 3 of the PDF - attributed to 3D @ UT. Amusing.

AoD

I recognized that image immediately! Made a great desktop image for some time :).

Taking a quick look at a Google map of the site I can't quite make out where the existing infrastructure could possibly have been placed: http://g.co/maps/usuau
I have a feeling that regardless where foundations were put in place in the 70s for a future tower, they would still have to carve out some space through each of the parking decks for the elevator core wouldn't they?

Last edited:
hmm, I have a hard time imaging this getting off the ground ...

Firstly, those projects are all just proposals at this point, and those 'dates', simply represent how long it would take if construction were to start in the near future. As was seen in the QRC, those dates get pushed out all the time.

Secondly, the strong demand has been for office space closer to union not further away from it (QRC and the King west center proposal, which is really just an idea right now, are smaller niche buildings).

hmm, I have a hard time imaging this getting off the ground ...

Firstly, those projects are all just proposals at this point, and those 'dates', simply represent how long it would take if construction were to start in the near future. As was seen in the QRC, those dates get pushed out all the time.

Secondly, the strong demand has been for office space closer to union not further away from it (QRC and the King west center proposal, which is really just an idea right now, are smaller niche buildings).

Dont get it...this has been going on for years with you (having a hard time imaging that anything regarding office space gets off the ground) meanwhile down at Southcore, there has been 2 built, 1 under construction, and a the fourth ready to break ground... I think you underestimate the Toronto office market.

Dont get it...this has been going on for years with you (having a hard time imaging that anything regarding office space gets off the ground) meanwhile down at Southcore, there has been 2 built, 1 under construction, and a the fourth ready to break ground... I think you underestimate the Toronto office market.

Well I'd love to be wrong here :)

The last office vacancy report I saw (Q4 2011) indicated absorption in the core was still quite strong, but slowing down from earlier in the year, and projections were this slow down would continue in 2012. I do recall on several occasions tenants / landlords citing being closer to union was a very large sticking point in any future expansion plans. So if this thread was in regard to the bay street site it'd be easier to imagine going forward.

Secondly, there are so many proposals floating around right now I can't see the tenants that could potentially fill all the space.

Don't get me wrong, these proposals will come to fruition, but in the next 10/20 years, I can't see them all starting construction in the next couple of years.

Here's a big guess-render.

The building is advertised as going to have a million square feet of office space.
If it's going to go at the south end of the parkade, I figure it'd go here:

eatoncentresouthend.jpg

The floorplate I drew here is 130 x 200 feet. Dismissing the ornamental curves, that's 26,000 sq feet of office space per floor.

One million square feet divided by floor plate size equals 38.46 floors.

Rounded down for modesty's sake, at 14 feet per floor, that gets you 538.44 feet.

So, it's not farsighted to imagine a building around that height in this locale would have this kind of volume:

extruded.jpg

And look a bit like this in the skyline:

eatoniva.jpg

eatonivb.jpg

eatonivc.jpg

Go up or down to accomodate the mall floors, add frills or whatever you like. In any case, unless it's remarkably skinny, it wouldn't be too out of line with the height of the existing Eaton towers.
Anyway, thar ya go.

Last edited:
I sort of agree with Taal - in terms of Cadillac Fairview's portfolio - 156 Front is closer to Union Station and would seemingly be an easier sell in terms of office space - PLUS has the benefit of being attached to a residential project as well.

But who knows - this project may be easier and cheaper to get off the ground depending on what's already been built (ie the foundation).

Back