Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands
Front St E and Cherry St, Toronto
Developer: DundeeKilmer, Waterfront Toronto, George Brown College, Toronto Community Housing Corporation
Page 28 of 63 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 937

Thread: West Don Lands: Pan Am Athlete's Village (Waterfront Toronto/DundeeKilmer, various)

  1. #406
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St Lawrence Market Area
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    They are paving Cherry Street today from Eastern Avenue going south. At the April West Don Lands Committee they said they hoped to reopen Cherry by July 1 - looks as though it may actually happen. (I assume Front and Mill will still be closed and that they will fence-off the east side of Cherry.) GO transit are supposed to be fixing up the rail bridge on Cherry later this year but I guess they can do this and still keep the road open.


  2. Default

    A picture of said paving, at sunset on May 2nd.
    Was there not supposed to be street car tracks installed along here?

    Name:  CherrySt1.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  93.8 KB

  3. Default

    The streetcar tracks run parallel to the street on the east side. Service on them will begin after the games due to security concerns.

  4. #409

    Default

    I don't suppose they're going to lay paving stones over that asphalt. Too bad.

  5. #410
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St Lawrence Market Area
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xray_Crystal_Junkie View Post
    I don't suppose they're going to lay paving stones over that asphalt. Too bad.
    The sidewalks on Cherry will have pavers.

    Projectend said: The streetcar tracks run parallel to the street on the east side. Service on them will begin after the games due to security concerns.

    The rails have been welded into long sections and are waiting on Cherry south of Commissioners Street. I assume they will be laid this year and the TTC has announced that they will be installing the junction at King Street in the fall. (Service will not start until after the Games for two reasons; security and because the loop at the rail bridge is on land needed for the PAG and the loop track will not be installed until the Games are finished.)

  6. #411
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Y&E
    Posts
    5,918
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSC View Post
    The sidewalks on Cherry will have pavers.

    Projectend said: The streetcar tracks run parallel to the street on the east side. Service on them will begin after the games due to security concerns.

    The rails have been welded into long sections and are waiting on Cherry south of Commissioners Street. I assume they will be laid this year and the TTC has announced that they will be installing the junction at King Street in the fall. (Service will not start until after the Games for two reasons; security and because the loop at the rail bridge is on land needed for the PAG and the loop track will not be installed until the Games are finished.)
    The entire sidewalk or just a little strip ?

    I should get a picture of the new sidewalk on Hi-way 7 ... the entire thing is paves, looks very good ... I'm sure Toronto is too cheap to do the same.
    If I had a penny for every time someone asked me why I was looking up…

  7. Default

    It will be a top notch street

  8. #413

    Default

    I am sure that these threads will explode with photos from the many Jane's Walks tomorrow but will post anyway. Photos taken 2 May 2013.









    Cherry Street with the section on the left for streetcar tracks. I noticed today for the first time that the street will take a noticeable shift to the east as you approach the underpass and that the tower at the end will actually terminate the view for those moving south on Cherry on the west side.

    Last edited by rdaner; 2013-May-03 at 22:56.

  9. #414
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Y&E
    Posts
    5,918
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I saw the white paved street, its nice ! But I wish it was red brick.
    If I had a penny for every time someone asked me why I was looking up…

  10. #415
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St Lawrence Market
    Posts
    404

    Default



    Taken Saturday, May 4th.

  11. #416
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Downtown Toronto
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    Sunday, May 5 2013






    Last edited by CanadianNational; 2013-May-06 at 01:47.

  12. Default

    Taken May 5, 2013:





    Below: Close-up on the YMCA building:



    Below: Intersection of Cherry & Front:


  13. #418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bar1967 View Post


    Taken Saturday, May 4th.
    Another picture picture from a bit further away courtesy of SkyJacked on top of L Tower crane:



    I got curious about the two heritage buildings in the middle of the construction site and found an old but very interesting West Don Lands Precinct Plan from 2005. There I found the reference to the two buildings at the intersection of Front and Cherry Streets: on the left is the former CN Railway Police Building and on the right the Canary Restaurant. They also write "This intersection forms the heart of the community that emerges here over time, with the historic buildings at the corners, providing a key link to the area’s past."

  14. #419

    Default

    Today:



    Images are not to be reprinted, reposted or used for any purposes whatsoever outside of the Urban Toronto forum without my express consent. Contact me via the following:

    Website - Flickr Photostream - Twitter

  15. Default

    Today I noticed they started installing the cladding for the George Brown building (or a test of it). No blue stripes yet, but it looks quite nice and glossy.





    The gates to the construction site were open so I sneaked in for a better view.






Page 28 of 63 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •