News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.8K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 788     0 

Movies that feature Toronto

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's always cool to see Toronto in movies, whether Toronto is the setting, or playing the part of another city.

I'm not sure about this particular movie, but it's definitely filmed in Toronto. Lots of cool downtown shots in the trailer: Kick Ass

I was watching Tommy Boy the other night. The Island Airport and the Distillery District were featured (as well as some other spots...)

max payne has a lot of toronto in it.

there's a feature on torontoist called 'reel toronto' where they go through movies that were filmed in toronto.

Flash Point is set in Toronto. They don't openly say it (I guess they're scared the rest of the country will boycott it,) but the SWAT guys wear Canadian flags on their shoulders, they climb around the top of towers in the financial district, and they get help from Peel Regional Police.

I know a bunch of movies, but I can't remember them! Gah :mad:

Kenny vs. Spenny

However they are not exactly movies but I guess TV series are good as well.

As I think I've noted in the "Best TV shows" thread Kenny vs. Spenny is one of my favorate shows on TV. They often mention Toronto and it's not hard to miss the CN tower every few episodes along with many other local landmarks that mostly only Torontonians would notice. I met Spenser ("Spenny") Rice waiting for an elevator at the building that my Doctor's office is in last week. I couldn't wait for my roommate to get home from work to tell him about it, he's as big a fan as I. Most weeks we laugh so hard watching that show we have tears streaming down our faces and sore stomach muscles by the end of the episode. Sophomoric humour? Yes, but I don't care, they make me laugh - hard. Anyway, I approached him and he was totally cool & happy to chat. He's very quiet and calm - not at all what I would have expected so it was pretty exciting. Being in the entertainment business most of my life I've met plenty of big Hollywood celebs. which is fun, but meeting Spenser Rice was a true thrill. One of my local heros!

I did not know that! That's awesome.

The TD Centre's exterior & lobby are prominently featured toward the end of the American Psycho, even though it does take place in 1980's NYC. Good movie, brilliant book.

Another good movie from the late 70's is "Silent Partner". It frequently gets played late at night on TV and is available on DVD. It's worth a watch to see Toronto play Toronto in the 1970's, plus it's a good movie. There are lots of scenes shot in the Eaton Centre and even the late, great John Candy makes noteworthy appearances.

David Cronenberg's Videodrome has lots of great Toronto shots from the early '80's. It's perhaps one of his best films too, although very dated due to technological advances since then. The adult TV station featured in the film was inspired by CityTV.

Last edited:
A favourite of mine, The Silent Partner (1978) was shot and set in Toronto. And in a supporting role, this is one of John Candy's earliest films.

I think I said something like that :confused:
Just joking.
Cineplex co-founder Garth Drabinsky produced this movie. I worked for Garth at Cineplex from early '83 to Dec. '85 a few years before, and during, the Cineplex purchase & takeover of the Canadian Odeon Theatres chain (hence the company was soon renamed the "Cineplex Odeon Corp."). Crazy times. Anyway, Garth once said that he wanted The Silent Partner to play in one of his cinemas at the Eaton Centre forever so that it would always be accessible and if memory serves it did play for a very, very long time in second run - something like two or three years. He was so very proud of this film, and for good reason.

Last edited:

Back