News   Jun 17, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 493     0 

Varsity Arena at U of T

greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
The photos of the Mutual Street Arena in the Miscellany Toronto thread reminded me of Varsity Arena at the U of T. I took these pictures month or so ago. It's a nice old barn with great charm. There weren't too many people at the game though.

4116738298_cee6324921_b.jpg

4115981309_7d75494e7e_b.jpg

4116734504_761d889c93_b.jpg

4116754688_dbb5df92db_b.jpg

4116748596_167b82cb7a_b.jpg

Those are cool shots, even if they do remind me of a brutal Geology exam I wrote a few years ago.

Radiohead played the arena in 1996 and were so enamored by the sound of their instruments bouncing off the walls and roof during their soundcheck, they decided to alter the sound of their upcoming record. That record? The classic, OK Computer.

Some geeky music trivia for y'all.

^ I believe it is also the only venue that the Plasitc Ono Band ever played in Toronto.....the anniversary of their lead singer's death was yesterday.

Also was home to professional basketball in the late 70's (Toronto Towers) and the Toronto Toros of the WHA played there some (I think)....aside from obviously being home to the UoT hockey teams.

I would have like to have seen some of the Pan Am games money going into this place but, perhaps, it is too old to benefit from little money and, perhaps, it would take too much money to make it usuable for a modern sporting facility (our demands for things like nicer locker rooms, physio rooms, broadcast facilities, food and bev amenities might exceed what even a small investment could provide).

I believe St. Mikes looked at some sort of investment/partnership with UoT before deciding to stick "Mississauga" on their shirts and play out of the Hershey.

^ I believe it is also the only venue that the Plasitc Ono Band ever played in Toronto.....the anniversary of their lead singer's death was yesterday.

Also was home to professional basketball in the late 70's (Toronto Towers) and the Toronto Toros of the WHA played there some (I think)

Yes, the Toros played there after they moved to Toronto from Ottawa where they were the Nationals.

That was back prior to the rink being expanded to the correct 85 x 200 feet footprint. That ice was small.

aw_lennon_marks4.JPG

BTW, The POB concert was actually in the stadium, not the arena. It was part of the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival Festival. Lennon was a very late addition to the bill. He quickly picked up Alan White, Eric Clapton and Klaus Voorman to be his band and they practiced on the plane on the way to Toronto from London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Rock_and_Roll_Revival
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Peace_in_Toronto_1969
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Toronto

... and I love the LP cover!

lmf283.jpg

torRNRrevival-1.jpg

torontoRNRrevivalposter.jpg

Last edited:
^Plastic Ono Band played the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival outdoors at Varsity Stadium. ;)

Edit: Woops, dbailey beat me to it.

I'm pretty sure they were based out of Hamilton!

They also had a plant on Industry St in Mount Dennis that is now a housing development, but I think they were originally on Sorauren.

s0372_ss0010_it2117.jpg

Aaron - very cool tidbit about Radiohead. Thanks for sharing.

And regarding the Dominion Bridge Company: the whole support said Dominion Bridge Company Toronto, but I couldn't fit "Toronto" in the photo.

Dominion Bridge was located at the SE corner of Jane Street and Trethewey Drive until the early 90s. They had about 50 acres including a factory and storage area, and a huge outdoor craneway. The land has since been redeveloped, mostly with low-rise residential. It was an early "brownfield" redevelopment.

Three months before the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival, the same local promoters organized the Toronto Pop Festival at Varsity Stadium ( June 21/22 1969 ), bringing the Velvet Underground, Procul Harum, Alice Cooper, Johnny Winter, Steppenwolf and Blood, Sweat and Tears ... and others ... here.

http://www.sixtiesposters.com/images/torontopop.jpg

That's the best poster of the three I've seen thus far!

Back