Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Sure, whenever we can. :)

R1239349.jpg

1910:

pictures-r-3674.jpg

judgefergusonshouse1910.jpg

Demolition April 15, 1911:

dundassherbournedemolition.jpg

View on Dundas (Wilton) west from Sherbourne (note the gate post on the right, still remaining from the property):

s0372_ss0058_it0051.jpg

At George:

s0071_it2538.jpg

20090907-Filmores-small.jpg

Last edited:
1910:

pictures-r-3674.jpg

judgefergusonshouse1910.jpg

Demolition April 15, 1911:

dundassherbournedemolition.jpg

View on Dundas (Wilton) west from Sherbourne (note the gate post on the right, still remaining from the property):

s0372_ss0058_it0051.jpg

At George:

s0071_it2538.jpg

20090907-Filmores-small.jpg

Who knew such gracious houses lined this stretch of Dundas?; I mean I knew - in a kind-of-skim-the-surface-kind-of-way; but this series of pictures brings the loss into evocative focus. Thank you thecharioteer for putting together such a succinct historical photographic documentary.

Heya gang, I have only occasional access to a PC for the rest of this week,, so no Daily Updates, but JTCUNNINGHAM has kindly sourced and sent me the wonderful images below.

One Hundred and Twenty Five Years Ago Today:

005.jpg

006.jpg

"For JT, a recent discovery made whilst scouring archive.org:"
QUOTE: MISTER wwwebster.

Thank you Sire!

(Complimentary breakfast at The St Lawrence Market?)

Kind regards,
J T

For JT, a recent discovery made whilst scouring archive.org:

BookReaderImages.php

http://archive.org/details/cangrocerjulydec1904toro

What fun to flip through those old issues of Canadian Grocer and find ads for products that are still on grocery shelves today – Red Rose, Salada and Lipton tea, Clover Leaf Salmon, Eagle Brand Condensed Milk, Cow Brand Baking Soda, Shredded Wheat, Triscuit... Later issues have more pictures. Some of the packaging has barely changed in 90 years: 1922 – Kiwi Shoe Polish, Robertson’s Marmalade, Keen’s Mustard.

Speaking of menus and dinners:

secondannualdinner.jpg

Which would have been held here (in Allan Gardens, of course):

pictures-r-5581.jpg

pictures-r-786.jpg

Because their own building at Front and Yonge would not be ready until 1892:

pictures-r-5926.jpg

Board_of_Trade_Building_Front_Street-1.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of menus and dinners:

secondannualdinner.jpg

Because their own building at Front and Yonge would not be ready until 1892:

pictures-r-5926.jpg

Sigh. What they have now is some very generic office space in First Canadian Place, where you can currently see signs advertising their 125th annual dinner at the end of January.

Weekend nonsense.

Let's call this: 'Army Surplus Store Windows, Then and Now.'

Introducing immediately below, a picture taken by the great Fred Herzog, one of many he took documenting the Vancouver area in the 50s and 60s. Note the hobnailed boots - unwearable now; beaded Native leather belt - wouldn't look bad as part of a careful ensemble; and those prices... but keep in mind the minimum wage was about $1./hr at the time.

79_31_Herzog.jpg

Fast forward 50+ years to Save More's windows (Jarvis and Queen E.). Pieces of uniform, old bugles (wt?), inert - we hope - ammunition - all in all, a thoroughly wonderful 'old school' window. Do any UTers patronize these type of stores, even if only very occasionally? I still have my Save More bought many years ago 'Brush Fire' pea coat (made in Winnipeg, heaven knows when), as well as my Marathon 'watch, general purpose.'

There is also Central Surplus on Yonge. Does anyone remember 'Hercules'?

R1239452.jpg

R1239451.jpg

"I'll drop by one morning and surprise you."
QUOTE: MISTER wwwebster.

Better to call first. Some mornings I appear early, sometimes late.
(But you are more than welcome at any time when I am there.)

BTW, I did see in that volume a number of E W Gillett Co ads as well as a blurb noting a
failed legal action appeal. (Lost the appeal as well!)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back